Catholic Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I understand a baptism to be a Catholic ceremony whereas a christening is a Protestant one but the actual word christening means to give a christian name at a baptism i.e Mary.

mirrjam said:
when do you say baptize, and when christened?? is there difference?

I think it's the same thing, just different names for the same thing.

See Sam? There is a big response to this thread.. ;)

It is very interesting to read just how many, especially on the German side, are Catholics.

I would have thought all the German royals -under the different duchies and geopgrahic locations, would have all been Lutheran or another Protestant religion.

So it is also educational, this thread, for me. :)

See Sam? There is a big response to this thread.. ;)

Yes! I don't know who voted it as being bad when I find out - they're for it - LOL.

BeatrixFan said:
Well PollyEmma, it's more a personal note of who's on my side as it were! I knew that Queen Sofia and Queen Fabiola were catholic for example and so without going too much into it, I kept them in my prayers. Now, I don't intend to speil a list off to God each night who I am sure has better things to do with his time, but its of interest to me to know.

Who is on "your side"? Gee, I must be bad because I am a Protestant. The prejudice never ends on these threads!

Sam, do you mean to say you don't keep Protestant royals in your prayers?

One wonders how the Queen has managed, all these years.

Who is on "your side"? Gee, I must be bad because I am a Protestant. The prejudice never ends on these threads!

Oh come on - It was a joke. I think!!

Well, I do but I pray that they'll bring their countries back to Rome. I think it's often been remarked that Charles practises as an Orthodox Christian - wasn't there a rumour that he was baptised secretly?

Elspeth said:

One wonders how the Queen has managed, all these years.

Thanks for the laugh Elspeth!! Her Majesty is quite resilient and I believe can stand the shock!!:p :p ;) Besides, many thousands of others are praying for her from a myriad of religions!:) You don't have to be Protestant to wish Her Majesty well!

BeatrixFan said:
Oh come on - It was a joke. I think!!

Well, I do but I pray that they'll bring their countries back to Rome. I think it's often been remarked that Charles practises as an Orthodox Christian - wasn't there a rumour that he was baptised secretly?

I've never heard that before. I've often heard Charles is into Buddhism, though, so: sorry,Beatrixfan, he won't be reversing the work of Henry VIII.

I believe HM has been very good to the Catholic Church. She asked Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor to conduct private prayers for her at St George's Chapel. Her great-great etc Grandmother, Queen Henrietta Maria + would be proud.

I've never heard that before. I've often heard Charles is into Buddhism

It may be my mishearing so don't read too much into it, but he apparantly visits the Mount of Olives quite alot and there was a visit there with Greek Orthodox bishops and thats where he apparantly was recieved into the Orthodox Church.

sorry,Beatrixfan, he won't be reversing the work of Henry VIII

We can but hope.

BTW, did Queen Sofia convert? I know she and King Juan Carlos had a Catholic and a Greek Ortodox ceremony.

I think Charles is more spiritual than religious; he seems to have a wide interest in different faiths and an ability to see past doctrine to deep essentials.

Since, as king, he'd have to be a communicant of the CofE, I wonder if he really was received into another Christian denomination. Would that cause a problem for his CofE status, or isn't the Orthodox church as exclusionary as some?

Like some other member said, this a very interesting and educational thread.I think Queen Silvia of Sweden was a catholic before she marries
BeatrixFan said:
Well, I do but I pray that they'll bring their countries back to Rome.
I liked your message, Beatrixfan. I think your wish is the wish of all catholics! :) :)

I liked your message, Beatrixfan. I think your wish is the wish of all catholics!

Well Said Regina!

Queen Sofia is now a Roman Catholic and thats the reason that I always pray for her after the Holy Father. I always pray for Juan Carlos and Sofia and I think they are perfect Monarchs.

I think this thread has served to divide us even further! It's this kind of talk that starts innocently and turns nasty!:rolleyes:

Layla1971 said:
I think this thread has served to divide us even further! It's this kind of talk that starts innocently and turns nasty!:rolleyes:

It doesn't have to divide us. But to unite us. Religions should unite people, even if they don't share the same beliefs. The catholics royals are not better or worst than the protestants/lutherans/islamics royals. But for me, as a catholic, it's very interesting to know who are the royals and monarchs who share my religion, and I'm glad that so many I like are catholics. :)

Regina said:
It doesn't have to divide us. But to unite us. Religions should unite people, even if they don't share the same beliefs. The catholics royals are not better or worst than the protestants/lutherans/islamics royals. But for me, as a catholic, it's very interesting to know who are the royals and monarchs who share my religion, and I'm glad that so many I like are catholics. :)

I'm not saying it's going to divide us. It just seems you're either Catholic or you're not. Like there are two camps. That isn't exactly a cohesive idea on which to build peace.

It's just a discussion, for goodness sakes! If someone says they hope the Protestant countries return to Rome, then they hope that, and shouldn't they be able to share their opinions? It will never happen anyway. But there is information in this thread that is more interesting than the usual, and isn't that a good thing?

royaltywatcher said:
It's just a discussion, for goodness sakes! If someone says they hope the Protestant countries return to Rome, then they hope that, and shouldn't they be able to share their opinions? It will never happen anyway. But there is information in this thread that is more interesting than the usual, and isn't that a good thing?

I'm not upset! Believe me you'd know it if I was. I'm just commenting on what I read. I know that people are just talking and nothing will come of it!:D

I didn't know that princesses Amilee and Anita were catholic, as a catholic I just thought that all of Holland or at least most of it would be protestant.I guess you learn something everyday.My daughter will be confirmed next week so wish us well that it all goes nicely.

I'll be praying for your daughter Marlene!

I was shocked to learn that Aimee was Roman Catholic. I'm glad though - she's a favourite princess of mine!

royaltywatcher said:
But there is information in this thread that is more interesting than the usual, and isn't that a good thing?

Yes, it's a very good thing indeed!

I'm not sure but I think Prince Henrik of Denmark was a catholic too before he marries. Am I correct?

He was Catholic but he converted to Lutheranism with the comfort that over 95% of the Danish people had that religion. It was a respectable move, especially for a Frenchman who is SO into the French way of living.

SpiffyBallerina said:
He was Catholic but he converted to Lutheranism with the comfort that over 95% of the Danish people had that religion. It was a respectable move, especially for a Frenchman who is SO into the French way of living.

Thanks for the information SpiffyBallerina! :)

BeatrixFan said:
It may be my mishearing so don't read too much into it, but he apparantly visits the Mount of Olives quite alot and there was a visit there with Greek Orthodox bishops and thats where he apparantly was recieved into the Orthodox Church.

Isn't his grandmother, Princess Alice, burried here in an orthodox chappel (next to her aunt, Grand Duchess Ella of Russia)? Maybe tht is the reason he went there. I know Prince Philip visited this spot more than once (the last time with his -now deceased- sister Sophie of Hannover I believe)

marlene said:
I didn't know that princesses Amilee and Anita were catholic, as a catholic I just thought that all of Holland or at least most of it would be protestant.I guess you learn something everyday.My daughter will be confirmed next week so wish us well that it all goes nicely.

I would say by this time most of The Netherlands (Holland is just a ps
art of the country, like England is of the UK) is not religious. The catholics were mainly located in the south (beneath the rivers as we say) and the protestants more to the north. Traditionally there were more protestants but now a days I would say it is equally divided: Catholics had bigger families and the people without religion come more from protestant backgrounds as the protestant religion tends to be much more austere (although these days the catholic church is losing more followers then the protestant, due to the policies of Rome, on which many catholic dutchmen look upon with digust/disdain/annoyance).

The devision is seen in the dutch-born princesses: Mabel, Laurentien and Annette are protestants while Marilene, Anita and Aimee are catholics. Maxima, as an argentine, is catholic of course. The protestants were always the dominant religion though and the religion of the elite. Nowadays Islam is quickly on it's way to become the biggest religion, due to higher birth rates and because most dutchmen have become/are becoming agnostic/atheists.

The marriage of the heir to a catholic still raised questions in parlament by orthodox protestant political parties, but it was reassured that the house of Orange will remain protestant (Maxima hinted that she might convert if she knew more about the protestant religion).

It is a far cry from the days of the early kings. I remember a story of Grand Duchess Sophie of Saxe-Weimar, daughter of King Willem II, who financed the repair of the roof of a catholic church in her grand duchy and went on inspection. On her arrival at the church she remained seated in her carriage and ordered her lady-in-waiting to inspect the building as 'a member of the house of Orange can not enter a catholic church'.

But also in the 60-ties, when Irene converted to papism there were many protets from angry protestants and many 'Princess Irene schools/streets' received different names.

Princess Alice

Marengo said:
Isn't his grandmother, Princess Alice, burried here in an orthodox chappel (next to her aunt, Grand Duchess Ella of Russia)? Maybe tht is the reason he went there. I know Prince Philip visited this spot more than once (the last time with his -now deceased- sister Sophie of Hannover I believe)
Yes, Princess Alice's coffin rests on a marble bier, covered with the Greek Royal Standard, in a White Russian convent in the Garden of Gethsemane in Jerusalem. See "Alice - Princess Andrew of Greece" by Hugo Vickers for a blow by blow account of the long drawn-out negotiations required for Alice's remains to rest in this place.

One quote from Vickers: "Not long before she died, Alice had given verbal instructions that she wished to be buried near her Aunt Ella in Jerusalem. When the family protested that this was a long way away and that it would be hard to visit her there, she retorted: 'Nonsense! There is a perfectly good bus service.'"

Back
Top Bottom