The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

Nor does being confirmed or getting married in a church or attending church because it's expected of you indicate that you believe in God, so we can't know for sure what Letizia (or any other person) believes in unless they publicly says so.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Read recently that Queen Letizia of Spain was baptized Catholic, but had never taken part in the sacraments (1st communion, confirmation, etc.) while growing up. She had to play catch-up before marrying Felipe. She was and still is agnostic - unofficially; this is why her 1st marriage was done civilly, and not religiously also. She basically plays the part of a Catholic since marrying Felipe and becoming part of the SRF. I don't understand why she will not own up to her beliefs, instead of misrepresenting them to the public. If she doesn't believe in a higher power, then that is her right, but lying to the citizens of the country in which she is queen is unacceptable IMO.
I am sorry. Letizia and her sisters did their first communion.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Letizia made her 1st Holy Communion in 1981 in Oviedo.

https://s1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/I...letizia374.jpg
Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Letizia was always pretty outspoken in her agnostic/feminist views (re: abortion and birth control for example) when she was a journalist, and I don't really think she is the kind who goes to mass every Sunday like the church dictates.

She did her confirmation because that was the only way she could have married Felipe, whether she did it out of love or out of necessity, that's for her to know and deal with.

My own mother is not Spanish and grew up in a different christian denomination, converted to catholicism after marrying my father, basically out of convenience because that was Franco's time and it was much easier to live as a catholic, so I can't really judge Letizia for that, although the circumstances are completely different.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

And people's views have been known to evolve over time. The beliefs that you embraced as a child, turned away from as a teen/young adult and then upon marrying or having your first child become meaningful again.

Letizia's beliefs and relationship with God are IMHO her business and not mine.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And lets leave it at that and keep the thread on topic
Old 02-11-2016, 02:07 AM
Courtier

I think the most "catholic" or at least the families that you see more at Catholic services and observing traditions are the Belgian-Luxembourg-Lichtenstein-Austria group, who are all related amongst themselves; Spanish, Monegasque and Italian royals seem to be far much more relaxed about it.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel distinctly uncomfortable with the ease with which so many seem to feel they know the intimate details of Queen Letizia's soul and claim she is not a "real Christian", (whatever that is) having been baptised into the RC Church, taking First Communion and then lapsing. Her subsequent Confirmation speaks for itself.

The state of a person's soul is known only to God and any attempt to judge someone and find them wanting is supreme arrogance. Princess Charlene was in a similar situation to Letizia in that she was brought up "not a Roman Catholic". Whether she was a practicing Protestant Christian I do not know, but what I do know is that she made an open and honest decision to convert to Roman Catholicism and is reported to be very devout.

In an open and forward-thinking nation, Queen Maxima is able to continue to practice her RC faith and I would never dream of stating an opinion as to the honesty of her religious practice, just as I would never pass judgment on Queen Mathilde, GD Maria Therese or HGD Stephanie. The same goes for each and every one of their spouses. That is between them and their God.

That being said, why is Queen Letizia allowed to be attacked over her faith on this thread and on this forum? It seems the very antithesis of what TRF is all about/
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with what has been said in the previous posts. I think that religion is a private and so intimate part of a person, that has many facets and we will never know everything about it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Just stating something I read; just wanted feedback, that's all.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
I think the most "catholic" or at least the families that you see more at Catholic services and observing traditions are the Belgian-Luxembourg-Lichtenstein-Austria group, who are all related amongst themselves; Spanish, Monegasque and Italian royals seem to be far much more relaxed about it.
I agree entirely. For the group you mention (in addition to the Catholic branches of former-reigning German royal and princely houses), they undertake to fulfill the obligations of the church very seriously. One need only look at the amount of priests, religious and Knights of Malta from among their ranks to see how seriously. It is the same for the nobility of those states. They are often to be found in positions of patronage for various Catholic charities and good works, not just outwardly superficial Catholics for the sake of marrying in a Cathedral, visiting the Holy Father or getting a front-row seat at the Pope's funeral.

It is a constant truth within the Catholic faith that no one may comment on whether another member of the faithful is in a state of grace, we are only required to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ (and do so at the commencement of every mass). So I am voicing absolutely no opinion whether anyone happens to be a 'good', or 'bad', Catholic, I merely wish to support the notion that it appears to come more naturally to the Germans (and the French), to observe the faith with quiet dignity, perhaps due to the oceans of blood that soaked their parts of Europe during the Reformation and its Counter.