The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, what a checkered past we have....

Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The Devonshires maintained their close ties to the Kennedy family even after the tragic death of Kathleen...Andrew and Deborah "Debo", the Duke and Duchess, were at JFK's funeral and they were also on the special funeral train that took RFK from New York to Washington after his funeral...they continued to correspond with Rose Kennedy almost to the end.

The Duchess of Devonshire adored JFK, as did many women apparently.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Gentry

re: Prince Doan Champassak of Vietnam.

what is his ancestry?

thank-you
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I've read that Jackie and Lee stopped to both or one of their half-siblings because he/she/they gave candid interviews about their famous sister.
Where? I've read that Jackie was beside her little sister at the moment of her death.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Jackie stopped speaking to James "Jamie" Auchincloss, her younger half-brother after he spoke to Kitty Kelley while she was writing the trashy "Jackie Oh!" book.

Jackie was very close to Janet Rutherford, her much younger half sister, who died tragically of cancer aged thirty-eight.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Cash for titles: The Billion-dollar ladies | Mail Online
Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

Aline Griffith married the Count of Quintanilla, later Count and Countess of Romanones, Grandees of Spain.
She was born in New York and went to work to Madrid as an OSS agent where she met her husband.
A old article/interview: Once a Spy, Spain's U.S.-Born Countess of Romanones Now Has Lecture Audiences Shouting Olé! : People.com
Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by norenxaq View Post
re: Prince Doan Champassak of Vietnam.

what is his ancestry?

thank-you
Prince Pierre Raymond Doan Vinh na Champassak was his full name. All I know is that his father was Vietnamese and his mother was French. He lived and was educated in France.

Apparently he was a minor painter, and he met Barbara Hutton at an exhibition of his paintings in Tangier in 1963. At the time, he was married and working as a chemist for a French oil company in Marrakesh.

He did not come from a royal or titled family as far as I know.

Barbara Hutton bought him a Laotian title before their marriage, which is how he became a "Prince".
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Courtier

Former American actress Allison Joy Langer credited as A.J Langer she married aristocrat Charles Peregrine Courtenay,Lord Courtenay who is her to the earldom
of Devon.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The REAL Downton heiresses: Like Cora in TV's Downton Abbey, scores of Americans came to Britain at the turn of the century | Mail Online

Quote:
Like Cora in TV's Downton Abbey, scores of American heiresses came to Britain at the turn of the century in search of a hard-up toff to marry. And they may very well have saved our aristocracy...
Old 01-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Nobility

Just a couple of additions:

Loved the list of Barbara Hutton's titled husbands! Wow, she did get around! But, perhaps the greatest noble among all of her husbands was Cary Grant, who although born poor and low-class in England, was considered among the greatest of Hollywood nobility! (I'm sure I'll get some comments on this one!)

Also, add Lady Randolph Churchill (nee Jennie Jerome) to the list. She was a wealthy heiress who married the son of the Duke of Marlborough, Lord Randolph Churchhill, and gave birth to Winston Churchill, the great British Prime Minister who was therefore half-American.

Another interesting American was Nancy Langhorne who married into the Astor family, who were in prior years American but had emigrated to England in the generation previous to Nancy's husband and were by then considered British, likely due to the boatloads of money they brought with them...

Nancy Astor had the distinction of being the first female member of the British House of Commons!

Oh, and I forgot!

There is the actress Jamie Leigh Curtis who is married to Christopher Haden-Guest, the 5th Baron Haden-Guest, so she is referred to as "Lady Haden-Guest" when in the U.K.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Okay hopefully this will make sense but are there "rules" or any regulations for Americans who marry into royalty? Such as do they keep their American citizenship, become a duel citizen or???
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

They keep the citizenship because there's nothing in the constitution or any state, federal or local laws that says anything about this. I know that if an American marries a person whose not a citizen, they don't lose their citizenship.

A while back I remember reading in the paper about a move in Congress either prior to or during the war of 1812 which would have the citizenship of an American who kept or took any royal or noble title to have their citizenship revoked. This probably had a lot to do with anti-British sentiment at the time. Nothing was done with it and it was shelved so to speak. The person who wrote about this claimed that it was part of the Constitution but ignored. The fact that it didn't go through the complete Constitution Process makes this null and void IMO. Not sure if this was an amendment to the Constitution, part of the Bill of Rights or something that the Congress intended to inact into federal law.

This was never acted upon, so it never was part of the Constitution or other type document. If he had, then Grace Kelly's citizenship would be stripped as she went by the title Princess Grace. I imagine she kept her American citizenship as I've never heard that she revoked it.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
They keep the citizenship because there's nothing in the constitution or any state, federal or local laws that says anything about this. I know that if an American marries a person whose not a citizen, they don't lose their citizenship.

A while back I remember reading in the paper about a move in Congress either prior to or during the war of 1812 which would have the citizenship of an American who kept or took any royal or noble title to have their citizenship revoked. This probably had a lot to do with anti-British sentiment at the time. Nothing was done with it and it was shelved so to speak. The person who wrote about this claimed that it was part of the Constitution but ignored. The fact that it didn't go through the complete Constitution Process makes this null and void IMO. Not sure if this was an amendment to the Constitution, part of the Bill of Rights or something that the Congress intended to inact into federal law.

This was never acted upon, so it never was part of the Constitution or other type document. If he had, then Grace Kelly's citizenship would be stripped as she went by the title Princess Grace. I imagine she kept her American citizenship as I've never heard that she revoked it.
Thanks! I knew about other foreign citizens but I wasn't sure if it was the same for noble/royal fiances.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

And I guess you could argue in some cases that women took a style and not a title in their own right? Does anyone know if Sarah Ferguson gave up her American citizenship when she married Prince Andrew?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
However, you do lose your citizenship if you swear allegiance to another country or serve in its military.

The granddaughter of US President Ulysses Grant, whose name was Julia Dent Grant, was married to Russian nobility, Prince Mikhail Cantacuzène. Her story is a fascinating one. Her father's life was saved because of her birth; he was with Custer but received leave to back to Washington upon Julia's birth, which saved him from the Battle of Little Big Horn. Her mother's sister was Bertha Palmer, who was instrumental in the creation of the Chicago's World Fair, and whose husband owned the still-famous luxury hotel The Palmer House.

The couple escaped the Bolsheviks, and moved to Florida where PRince Cantacuzène became part of the Palmer Bank, founded by his wife's family. They divorced in the 1930's. Julia moved back to Washington DC, where she had been born; she lived into her 90's.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
And I guess you could argue in some cases that women took a style and not a title in their own right? Does anyone know if Sarah Ferguson gave up her American citizenship when she married Prince Andrew?
This is the first that I heard that Sarah Ferguson had American citizenship. Why would she? Her parents were British and she was born in Britain was she not?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

She never hads American citizenship. That is just nonsense.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Gentry

Also Julia Dent Grant was Ulysses S. Grant's daughter not his grandaughter. She was later divorced from her titled husband
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sorry I always thought Sarah was American.