Age To Be A Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchainho

Heir Presumptive
Country
Portugal
hi:

I 'm reading a book about Juan carlo's life and its says that the constitution has a law of 1947 that is written that the king of spain has to be 30 years old.
Do you know the age to be a king/queen in other countries?
thanks, maria

In Norway the King/Queen has to be off age, ergo 18, to reign, but there aren't any other rules than that in regards to his/her age.

I think it's 18 in Sweden as well, at that age the members of the Royal Family (the royal children for ex) can stand in for the King if necessary at any time.

The Monarch in the United Kingdom needs to be 18 or older if not then a Regent is named to do all the Royal Duties

I read Hello's profile on Albert and Philippe and it was said that Philippe was felt to be too young and inexperienced at the time of Baudoin's death to be the king - was this rooted in some law? Granted, Albert were before him in line...

No, just rooted on speculation in the press if Albert would renounce his rights in favour of his son or not.

Isn't 18 a bit too young?

I think age of 18 is too young to have a king'/queen' duty, but he/she will have loads of help from other member of royal family and Royal courtier. I just feel sorry if he/she has to loose most of his/her youth "fun" time because of doing King'/queen' duty.

In Belgium , the crownprince(princess) has to be 18 years before he/she can become king or queen . King Boudewijn became king when he was 18 . Ofcourse , this is to young , but legal .Until he was 18 , Prince Karel ( I think it was his uncle ) was regent of Belgium . Because Boudewijn and Fabiola didn't have children , Phillip became crownprince. But nobody expected the death of the King so early , and Phillip wasn't really ready do become King , so Albert took the place of his brother . In the past , all the man stayed kings until their death ( expect for Leopold the third ) . But I don't think Albert will do this.About 5 or 10 years , Phillip will be King , I think . Then he will be 50/55 year old .

Constantine of Greece was not quite 24 when he became King (and Anne-Marie became Queen of Greece at 18 later that same year :eek: !!!!) It's such an enormous responsibility being a monarch that it would seem likely that there are age limits. I did not know that about the Spanish regulation so thank you for sharing that. Very interesting.

How it is now?
- If ruler die and his/her heir/heiress apparent hasn't got 18years yet?
- Isn't this person a king/queen now, but with someone as a regent until the new ruler will have 18 (like it was with queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands or king Peter II of Yougoslavie)?

The 18 year old age limit dates from a time when people grew up faster and died younger. I think the last British monarch to successfully take over the throne at 18 was Henry VIII. But the generals and statesmen running the country were all young too.

Before him Edward III was crowned as a child but he assumed the powers at 18. However, at 18, he had already led the English forces in battle several times. That was what was needed at that time for a King to gain respect of his subjects and rule effectively.

18 year olds today are not in the same league.

I'm not sure about that I think 18 year old royals who are in line for the throne may be more mature then the average kid.

I don't know for sure if they are more mature than the other who in same age naturaly, but I am sure he/she has been prepared for Cp/CPs role (king/queen to be) since very early age...that makes them different with other teenage who mostly still are not sure (confuse) what are they going to do for their future career.

Re;

It depends on the individual I think. But young Kings and Queens cant be ready at a young age - as was proved with King Michael of Romania in his early reign. He was ousted in a very very unfair manner but to make him King at 5 years old? Ridiculous.

Feberin said:
I'm not sure about that I think 18 year old royals who are in line for the throne may be more mature then the average kid.

I don't know if they are necessarily more mature than the average kid but certainly they have more of a higher education that may give them the tools to seem more mature to the public eye when infact they may not be.

As long as 18 year olds are deemed mature enough to vote in general elections, and decide who runs the country, and old enough to be drafted into the military - then they're certainly old enough to act as head of state. Whether it is good for them and their potential family, is another matter.

Re:

I agree LaShinka. You can bet your life that Elizabeth, Margrethe and Beatrix all gave their sons waving lessons and taught them the tricks of the trade from a young age.

Also in Denmark they have to be 18 years old to "rule"

Well 18 is young but if a child is next in line then he or she should be observed. I think the a regent is a good idea but then the problem arises as to what is an old enough age to assume power.

See the respective constitutions

If you want to know the age or other regulations, just check the constitution. For an example, the Netherlands constitution says:

Article 33
The King shall not exercise the royal prerogative before attaining the age of eighteen.

Article 34
The guardianship of a King who is a minor shall be regulated by Act. The two Chambers of the States-General shall meet in joint assembly to consider and decide upon the matter.

On the moment there is no Act for the guardianship of a King because the Heir-Apparent is no minor. Before 1985 there was an Act to appoint a guardian over the King:

Article 1
1. During the period that the Heir-Apparent, born in the marriage of Us, Beatrix, with His Royal Highness Claus Georg Willem Otto Frederik Geert Prince of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg, has become King by hereditary succession and can not exercise the royal prerogative because of not having attained the age of consent conform the Constitution, Our Consort aforementioned will act as Regent of the Kingdom,
and,
will Our Consort aforementioned have deceased before this period, Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld will act as Regentess of the Kingdom.

Article 2
Might Our Consort beforementioned decease or abdicate the Regency or become unable to fulfill the Regency, Our Consort beforementioned will be succeeded by Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld as Regentess of the Kingdom.

Last edited:
That is true in most monarchies the age of the head of state who is king or queen must be 18 when they inherit the throne. That is very young to me but that is the law.

Well, I think in most Monarchies the Kings /Queens have to be 18 years (or older of course) to rule the country.
I think it's because "18" is a very fixed "mark" in the European Society. When you are 18 you are an "adult".
So, you can vote, drive a car ,...well and a Heir to the Throne can become a King :lol: .

What happenes if a King dies and the Heir to the Throne isn't 18 yet?
Would his wife "rule" the country until her Son/daughter is able to be King/Queen or would one of the King's siblings be the "ruler" for this period? (I guess so...)

Her_Majesty said:
Well, I think in most Monarchies the Kings /Queens have to be 18 years (or older of course) to rule the country.
I think it's because "18" is a very fixed "mark" in the European Society. When you are 18 you are an "adult".
So, you can vote, drive a car ,...well and a Heir to the Throne can become a King :lol: .

What happenes if a King dies and the Heir to the Throne isn't 18 yet?
Would his wife "rule" the country until her Son/daughter is able to be King/Queen or would one of the King's siblings be the "ruler" for this period? (I guess so...)

The title is called Regent. In theory, a Regent is a trusted member of the family or Advisor of the late King/Queen to run things until the child reached 18. For example: If Prince Albert of Monaco had an heir to the throne who was under 18, and he died, there will be something in place to designate a Regent. In this case most likely Caroline. But each country has it's own set of rules to determine this.

Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had

Royal Fan said:
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had

In recent history one of the youngest Sovereigns was Her Majesty Wilhelmina Helena Paulina Maria by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1880-1962), the grandmother of the present Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

In 1890 Wilhelmina became Queen of the Netherlands at the age of 10 and abdicated in 1948 at the age of 68, being Sovereign for 58 years.

See picture of Wilhelmina (76), Juliana (47) and Beatrix (18) together (banquet for Princess Beatrix' 18th birthday in 1956).

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
In recent history one of the youngest Sovereigns was Her Majesty Wilhelmina Helena Paulina Maria by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1880-1962), the grandmother of the present Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

In 1890 Wilhelmina became Queen of the Netherlands at the age of 10 and abdicated in 1948 at the age of 68, being Sovereign for 58 years.

See picture of Wilhelmina (76), Juliana (47) and Beatrix (18) together (banquet for Princess Beatrix' 18th birthday in 1956).

A priceless picture to be sure, Henri! I remember reading somewhere that someone else, I believe her mother made the decisions until Wilhelmina became of age, that is 18. Is this right?:flowers:

Queen Victoria was the heir to her uncle, King William IV, from a very young age, as his children all died in infancy and Victoria's father had died when she was a baby. King William did not like the future Queen's widowed mother, the Duchess of Kent, who was the obvious choice as Regent if William died before Victoria was 18. He vowed that he would live until Victoria was of age, and despite his age and ill health he did so, dying about 2 weeks after her 18th birthday. Interestingly, Victoria assumed all the reins of power, and did not let her mother assist her in any way. She did, however, rely greatly on the advice of her Prime Ministers, one of whom was the great Duke of Wellington of Waterloo fame.

Back
Top Bottom