Age To Be A Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henri M. said:
If you want to know the age or other regulations, just check the constitution. For an example, the Netherlands constitution says:

Article 33
The King shall not exercise the royal prerogative before attaining the age of eighteen.

Article 34
The guardianship of a King who is a minor shall be regulated by Act. The two Chambers of the States-General shall meet in joint assembly to consider and decide upon the matter.

On the moment there is no Act for the guardianship of a King because the Heir-Apparent is no minor. Before 1985 there was an Act to appoint a guardian over the King:

Article 1
1. During the period that the Heir-Apparent, born in the marriage of Us, Beatrix, with His Royal Highness Claus Georg Willem Otto Frederik Geert Prince of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg, has become King by hereditary succession and can not exercise the royal prerogative because of not having attained the age of consent conform the Constitution, Our Consort aforementioned will act as Regent of the Kingdom,
and,
will Our Consort aforementioned have deceased before this period, Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld will act as Regentess of the Kingdom.

Article 2
Might Our Consort beforementioned decease or abdicate the Regency or become unable to fulfill the Regency, Our Consort beforementioned will be succeeded by Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld as Regentess of the Kingdom.
Should the future King W-A die before Princess C-A reaches her majority, is it likely that Princess Maxima would act as regent or would Prince Constantijn be chosen?

I think it would be realistic nowadays to have a King/Queen [the youngest] 28/29-early thirties. Let them be children/teens, go to school/uni, date meet girls/boys. They might at the beginning not have the right flair/confidence as a person, they might be complety arrongant, self-obsessed, lazy - give them time to let them grow out of all of those characteristics. Let them develop skills and experience.

I think some royals seem "able" to take the throne younger, like Guillaume of Luxembourg, who is 25 (or 25, I don't remember), but is already being groomed for his role. Others that would have done so would be Crown Princess Victoria, who started her work young as well.

Philippe was considered too young because he wasn't considered strong enough to lead Belgium, an country who's populice is divided between two cultural groups, and Albert, who was older, decided not to abdicate. Now that Philippe is older, and more settled, some might think Albert would abdicate, but he is a rather popular ruler, and the concern is that Philippe would polarize people.

Current Monarchs Ages at Accension:

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden: 27
King Abdullah II of Jordan: 37
King Albert II of Belgium: 59
Emperor Akihito of Japan: 56
Prince Albert II of Monaco: 47
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Al-Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah of Brunei: 21
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands: 42
King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX): 19 (he has reigned over fifty years!)
Queen Elizabeth II of the Great Britain: 26
Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein: 44
King Harold V of Norway: 54
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg: 45
King Juan Carlos I of Spain: 37
King Mohammed VI of Morocco: 36

Last edited:
Royal Fan said:
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had

Mary Stuart was only six days old when she became Queen of Scots.
Child monarchs were a bit of a Scots speciality.

Last edited:
Royal Fan said:
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had

Louis XIV became king of France at age 5, in 1643, and was succeeded in 1715 by his great-grandson, Louis XV, who was lso 5.

Closer to us, king Alfonso XIII of Spain was born king of Spain, posthumously in 1885.

leomichel said:
Louis XIV became king of France at age 5, in 1643, and was succeeded in 1715 by his great-grandson, Louis XV, who was lso 5.
yes,he was the youngest king ever.:neutral:

ZandraRae said:
A priceless picture to be sure, Henri! I remember reading somewhere that someone else, I believe her mother made the decisions until Wilhelmina became of age, that is 18. Is this right?:flowers:

Yes, her mother Queen Emma of the Netherlands born Princess von Waldeck und Pyrmont acted as Regentess of the Kingdom until her daughter became 18 years old. Wilhelmina was Queen anyway.

TLLC said:
Should the future King W-A die before Princess C-A reaches her majority, is it likely that Princess Maxima would act as regent or would Prince Constantijn be chosen?

Yes, I think that is most likely. When King Willem IV Alexander has an underaged Heir, most likely the following Act will be issued:

Article 1
During the period that the Heir-Apparent, born in the marriage of Us, Willem IV Alexander, with Her Royal Highness Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, has become King by hereditary succession and can not exercise the royal prerogative because of not having attained the age of consent conform the Constitution, Our Consort aforementioned will act as Regentess of the Kingdom,
and,
will Our Consort aforementioned have deceased before this period, His Royal Highness Constantijn Christof Frederik Aschwin, Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg will act as Regent of the Kingdom.

Article 2
Might Our Consort beforementioned decease or abdicate the Regency or become unable to fulfill the Regency, Our Consort beforementioned will be succeeded by His Royal Highness Constantijn Christof Frederik Aschwin Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg as Regent of the Kingdom.

:flowers:

Last edited:
40 years old seems like a fine age to me... not too young, not too late ... if allowed to wait, as W-A for example... btw, I think he won't reign until he's 50!! He seems to be so confortable with his Prince status...and Beatrix is VERY comfortable with her chair!! : )

This seems a little off topic, but from reading Henri M's last post, I have a question. He mentioned Willem IV Alexander, and I'm wondering: will the Prince of Orange, when he takes the throne, be Willem V Alexander, or Willem-Alexander the ___ or something different altogether?

LadyK said:
This seems a little off topic, but from reading Henri M's last post, I have a question. He mentioned Willem IV Alexander, and I'm wondering: will the Prince of Orange, when he takes the throne, be Willem V Alexander, or Willem-Alexander the ___ or something different altogether?

Willem IV according the prince himself. Henri M. mentioned also Her Royal Highness Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands,which probably will not be her title in my opinion. But that's an other discussion ;)

Her_Majesty said:
Well, I think in most Monarchies the Kings /Queens have to be 18 years (or older of course) to rule the country.
I think it's because "18" is a very fixed "mark" in the European Society. When you are 18 you are an "adult".
So, you can vote, drive a car ,...well and a Heir to the Throne can become a King :lol: .

What happenes if a King dies and the Heir to the Throne isn't 18 yet?
Would his wife "rule" the country until her Son/daughter is able to be King/Queen or would one of the King's siblings be the "ruler" for this period? (I guess so...)
Such because someone can vote or drive a car does not mean their are ready to head state of state espically at the age of 18. Other 18 year olds will be going off to college or getting a job not being head of state. Atleast the age should be 21 to be head of state.

In Belgium , the crownprince(princess) has to be 18 years before he/she can become king or queen . King Boudewijn became king when he was 18 . Ofcourse , this is to young , but legal .Until he was 18 , Prince Karel ( I think it was his uncle ) was regent of Belgium .

You're correct about Charles being regent. Yes, he was Baudouin's paternal uncle--the younger brother of Leopold III. Prince Charles served as regent during World War II, I believe, since the king and his family were forced to leave for Switzerland at the time.

The 18 year old age limit dates from a time when people grew up faster and died younger. I think the last British monarch to successfully take over the throne at 18 was Henry VIII. But the generals and statesmen running the country were all young too.

Before him Edward III was crowned as a child but he assumed the powers at 18. However, at 18, he had already led the English forces in battle several times. That was what was needed at that time for a King to gain respect of his subjects and rule effectively.

18 year olds today are not in the same league.

Queen Victoria became Queen only a month after her 18. birthday in June 1837.

King Boudewijn became king when he was 18 . Ofcourse , this is to young , but legal .Until he was 18 , Prince Karel ( I think it was his uncle ) was regent of Belgium .

King Baudouin I. became King in July 1951 when he was 20.

Last edited:
i think that queen elizabeth and queen victoria prove that maturity isnt always the key to a long and successful reign

How old are The Prince of Wales and Prince William likely to be also with reguards to the other European Heirs Apprent

Who is they youngest monarch at the moment does anybody no?
I don't mean just the heir, their spouses like Queen Rania??

And who was the youngest monarch ever?
I thought it was Henry the VIII son Edward?

x

And who was the youngest monarch ever?
I thought it was Henry the VIII son Edward?

x

The youngest monarchs were King John II of France and King Alphonse XIII of Spain. They were both born after their fathers had died, so they became monarchs at the moment of birth... or even in the womb ;)

The youngest monarchs were King John II of France and King Alphonse XIII of Spain. They were both born after their fathers had died, so they became monarchs at the moment of birth... or even in the womb ;)

Wow, thank you. :)
They obviously didn't ascend the throne, so what happened?
x

I don't understand. They didn't literally ascend the throne as they obviously couldn't sit on the day of birth :) They did become monarchs though. Alphonse XIII's mother, Maria Christina of Austria, served as regent for her son, while John I's regent and successor was his uncle, Philip V. (NB: there is a typo in my previous reply, it's John I, not John II, who became monarch at birth)

Mary I, Queen of Scots, was less than a week old when she became monarch and she was crowned when she was a 9-month-old baby.

The youngest King of England was Henry VI who was about 9 months old when his father, Henry V, died.

Since Edward VI (who was 10 when he became King) no English monarch has needed a regency with Victoria coming the closest.

Before Edward VI there had been a number of child kings - Richard II, Henry VI, Edward V and Edward VI to name a few of them.

Is there really an age "limit" to be monarch ?I don't think so because at what ever age they are when their parent monarch dies when what ever age they are they are heir to the throne but then again there is the regency thing until they are of age but was trying to be avoided for Queen Victoria,who was in the middle of her uncles William and leopold.

Henry the sixth became king aged 6 months

He was aged nine months, he was born on 6th December 1421 and became King on 31st August 1422.

Is there really an age "limit" to be monarch ?

No there is no age limit to be a monarch, but there is certainly an age when a member of royalty should be capable to rule. Such as in the case above, a King at 9 months old is not a very capable King.

Sancho II of Portugal was born September 8, 1209.
He became King of Portugal in 1223.

Queen Maria II of Portugal was declared of age when she was fifteen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The person would have to be the age of majority to become King/Queen. Prior to this, someone else would be ruling.

Severus Alexander was fourteen when he became Roman Emperor in 222.

Tsar Ivan VI of Russia was born August 23, 1740. On October 28, 1740 he was emperor upon the demise of Empress Anna.

Back
Top Bottom