The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
betina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 540
Also in Denmark they have to be 18 years old to "rule"
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
RoyalKnottie's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 90
Well 18 is young but if a child is next in line then he or she should be observed. I think the a regent is a good idea but then the problem arises as to what is an old enough age to assume power.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,897
See the respective constitutions

If you want to know the age or other regulations, just check the constitution. For an example, the Netherlands constitution says:

Article 33
The King shall not exercise the royal prerogative before attaining the age of eighteen.

Article 34
The guardianship of a King who is a minor shall be regulated by Act. The two Chambers of the States-General shall meet in joint assembly to consider and decide upon the matter.

On the moment there is no Act for the guardianship of a King because the Heir-Apparent is no minor. Before 1985 there was an Act to appoint a guardian over the King:

Article 1
1. During the period that the Heir-Apparent, born in the marriage of Us, Beatrix, with His Royal Highness Claus Georg Willem Otto Frederik Geert Prince of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg, has become King by hereditary succession and can not exercise the royal prerogative because of not having attained the age of consent conform the Constitution, Our Consort aforementioned will act as Regent of the Kingdom,
and,
will Our Consort aforementioned have deceased before this period, Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld will act as Regentess of the Kingdom.

Article 2
Might Our Consort beforementioned decease or abdicate the Regency or become unable to fulfill the Regency, Our Consort beforementioned will be succeeded by Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld as Regentess of the Kingdom.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Next Star's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 874
That is true in most monarchies the age of the head of state who is king or queen must be 18 when they inherit the throne. That is very young to me but that is the law.
__________________
Patience is a virtue.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Her_Majesty's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bochum, Germany
Posts: 8,517
Well, I think in most Monarchies the Kings /Queens have to be 18 years (or older of course) to rule the country.
I think it's because "18" is a very fixed "mark" in the European Society. When you are 18 you are an "adult".
So, you can vote, drive a car ,...well and a Heir to the Throne can become a King .


What happenes if a King dies and the Heir to the Throne isn't 18 yet?
Would his wife "rule" the country until her Son/daughter is able to be King/Queen or would one of the King's siblings be the "ruler" for this period? (I guess so...)
__________________
Have a look at TRF Rules and FAQ



Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
Well, I think in most Monarchies the Kings /Queens have to be 18 years (or older of course) to rule the country.
I think it's because "18" is a very fixed "mark" in the European Society. When you are 18 you are an "adult".
So, you can vote, drive a car ,...well and a Heir to the Throne can become a King .


What happenes if a King dies and the Heir to the Throne isn't 18 yet?
Would his wife "rule" the country until her Son/daughter is able to be King/Queen or would one of the King's siblings be the "ruler" for this period? (I guess so...)
The title is called Regent. In theory, a Regent is a trusted member of the family or Advisor of the late King/Queen to run things until the child reached 18. For example: If Prince Albert of Monaco had an heir to the throne who was under 18, and he died, there will be something in place to designate a Regent. In this case most likely Caroline. But each country has it's own set of rules to determine this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,325
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had
In recent history one of the youngest Sovereigns was Her Majesty Wilhelmina Helena Paulina Maria by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1880-1962), the grandmother of the present Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

In 1890 Wilhelmina became Queen of the Netherlands at the age of 10 and abdicated in 1948 at the age of 68, being Sovereign for 58 years.

See picture of Wilhelmina (76), Juliana (47) and Beatrix (18) together (banquet for Princess Beatrix' 18th birthday in 1956).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
ZandraRae's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
In recent history one of the youngest Sovereigns was Her Majesty Wilhelmina Helena Paulina Maria by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1880-1962), the grandmother of the present Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

In 1890 Wilhelmina became Queen of the Netherlands at the age of 10 and abdicated in 1948 at the age of 68, being Sovereign for 58 years.

See picture of Wilhelmina (76), Juliana (47) and Beatrix (18) together (banquet for Princess Beatrix' 18th birthday in 1956).
A priceless picture to be sure, Henri! I remember reading somewhere that someone else, I believe her mother made the decisions until Wilhelmina became of age, that is 18. Is this right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 254
Queen Victoria was the heir to her uncle, King William IV, from a very young age, as his children all died in infancy and Victoria's father had died when she was a baby. King William did not like the future Queen's widowed mother, the Duchess of Kent, who was the obvious choice as Regent if William died before Victoria was 18. He vowed that he would live until Victoria was of age, and despite his age and ill health he did so, dying about 2 weeks after her 18th birthday. Interestingly, Victoria assumed all the reins of power, and did not let her mother assist her in any way. She did, however, rely greatly on the advice of her Prime Ministers, one of whom was the great Duke of Wellington of Waterloo fame.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
If you want to know the age or other regulations, just check the constitution. For an example, the Netherlands constitution says:

Article 33
The King shall not exercise the royal prerogative before attaining the age of eighteen.

Article 34
The guardianship of a King who is a minor shall be regulated by Act. The two Chambers of the States-General shall meet in joint assembly to consider and decide upon the matter.

On the moment there is no Act for the guardianship of a King because the Heir-Apparent is no minor. Before 1985 there was an Act to appoint a guardian over the King:

Article 1
1. During the period that the Heir-Apparent, born in the marriage of Us, Beatrix, with His Royal Highness Claus Georg Willem Otto Frederik Geert Prince of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg, has become King by hereditary succession and can not exercise the royal prerogative because of not having attained the age of consent conform the Constitution, Our Consort aforementioned will act as Regent of the Kingdom,
and,
will Our Consort aforementioned have deceased before this period, Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld will act as Regentess of the Kingdom.

Article 2
Might Our Consort beforementioned decease or abdicate the Regency or become unable to fulfill the Regency, Our Consort beforementioned will be succeeded by Her Royal Highness Margriet Francisca Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld as Regentess of the Kingdom.
Should the future King W-A die before Princess C-A reaches her majority, is it likely that Princess Maxima would act as regent or would Prince Constantijn be chosen?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-24-2007, 02:50 AM
flcty's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somewhere out of this world, Australia
Posts: 318
I think it would be realistic nowadays to have a King/Queen [the youngest] 28/29-early thirties. Let them be children/teens, go to school/uni, date meet girls/boys. They might at the beginning not have the right flair/confidence as a person, they might be complety arrongant, self-obsessed, lazy - give them time to let them grow out of all of those characteristics. Let them develop skills and experience.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 AM
LadyK's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,946
I think some royals seem "able" to take the throne younger, like Guillaume of Luxembourg, who is 25 (or 25, I don't remember), but is already being groomed for his role. Others that would have done so would be Crown Princess Victoria, who started her work young as well.


Philippe was considered too young because he wasn't considered strong enough to lead Belgium, an country who's populice is divided between two cultural groups, and Albert, who was older, decided not to abdicate. Now that Philippe is older, and more settled, some might think Albert would abdicate, but he is a rather popular ruler, and the concern is that Philippe would polarize people.
__________________
The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 AM
LadyK's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,946
Current Monarchs Ages at Accension:

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden: 27
King Abdullah II of Jordan: 37
King Albert II of Belgium: 59
Emperor Akihito of Japan: 56
Prince Albert II of Monaco: 47
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Al-Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah of Brunei: 21
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands: 42
King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX): 19 (he has reigned over fifty years!)
Queen Elizabeth II of the Great Britain: 26
Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein: 44
King Harold V of Norway: 54
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg: 45
King Juan Carlos I of Spain: 37
King Mohammed VI of Morocco: 36
__________________
The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Iain's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had
Mary Stuart was only six days old when she became Queen of Scots.
Child monarchs were a bit of a Scots speciality.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Whos some of the Yougest Monarchs Europe has had
Louis XIV became king of France at age 5, in 1643, and was succeeded in 1715 by his great-grandson, Louis XV, who was lso 5.

Closer to us, king Alfonso XIII of Spain was born king of Spain, posthumously in 1885.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Strasbourg, France
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomichel
Louis XIV became king of France at age 5, in 1643, and was succeeded in 1715 by his great-grandson, Louis XV, who was lso 5.
yes,he was the youngest king ever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
A priceless picture to be sure, Henri! I remember reading somewhere that someone else, I believe her mother made the decisions until Wilhelmina became of age, that is 18. Is this right?
Yes, her mother Queen Emma of the Netherlands born Princess von Waldeck und Pyrmont acted as Regentess of the Kingdom until her daughter became 18 years old. Wilhelmina was Queen anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLC
Should the future King W-A die before Princess C-A reaches her majority, is it likely that Princess Maxima would act as regent or would Prince Constantijn be chosen?
Yes, I think that is most likely. When King Willem IV Alexander has an underaged Heir, most likely the following Act will be issued:

Article 1
During the period that the Heir-Apparent, born in the marriage of Us, Willem IV Alexander, with Her Royal Highness Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, has become King by hereditary succession and can not exercise the royal prerogative because of not having attained the age of consent conform the Constitution, Our Consort aforementioned will act as Regentess of the Kingdom,
and,
will Our Consort aforementioned have deceased before this period, His Royal Highness Constantijn Christof Frederik Aschwin, Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg will act as Regent of the Kingdom.

Article 2
Might Our Consort beforementioned decease or abdicate the Regency or become unable to fulfill the Regency, Our Consort beforementioned will be succeeded by His Royal Highness Constantijn Christof Frederik Aschwin Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg as Regent of the Kingdom.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Verde Esmeralda's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 855
40 years old seems like a fine age to me... not too young, not too late ... if allowed to wait, as W-A for example... btw, I think he won't reign until he's 50!! He seems to be so confortable with his Prince status...and Beatrix is VERY comfortable with her chair!! : )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
LadyK's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,946
This seems a little off topic, but from reading Henri M's last post, I have a question. He mentioned Willem IV Alexander, and I'm wondering: will the Prince of Orange, when he takes the throne, be Willem V Alexander, or Willem-Alexander the ___ or something different altogether?
__________________

__________________
The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Felix, News and Picture Thread 1 (May 2003 - December 2004) Jalmey Prince Felix, Princess Claire, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien & Prince Louis with Family 180 12-21-2004 03:15 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess charlene daytime fashion princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william winter olympics 2014


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]