The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

Abdication

Who is most likely to abdicate? Who will never consider that as a possibility in a million years? Who probably wants to but circumstances are preventing them from doing so? Discuss

Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Queen Beatrix is probably most likely; I think abdication has sort of become a tradition in the Dutch monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II I think would never even consider it and has more or less said so as I recall. As to who wants to but cannot do so, I have no idea, I'd have to know all of them a whole lot better to even make a guess.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Nobility

I'm happy that Queen Elisabeth doesn't plan to abdicate. I think that Great Britain will lose very much in a day when she's gone. In Great Britain was always great queen: Elisabeth I, Queen Victoria and Elisabeth II. Kings? Nothing special. For example king Henri VI remind me always this story with his six wifes, wharever he did for the country. Prince Charles, yes, I like him, but he reminds me about Diana and Camilla story. Prince William in media is like celebrity who sometimes did sth for charity. Well, Angelina Jolie did it too.

So: God, save the Queen.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Nobility

I'm just noticed: Elizabeth not Elisabeth.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Royal Highness

I guess these issues are related to the first King Albert, the second of King Harald, King Juan Carlos as the third.

Queen Elizabeth II will not waiver.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Nobility

Greatness is in the eye of the beholder and often has alot to do with the time and place and with who gets to write your story and how well they do. Elizabeth I had great "press" people and gets alot of credit for great accomplishments during her reign that she didn't really have much to do with. Queen Victoria, oddly enough, all but abdicated for a very long time after Albert died. She was an amazing woman and yet if a monarch displayed her behavior today they would probably be torn to shreds in the media. On the other hand King Edward I was, I think, always considered one of the greatest of English kings but since the movie "Braveheart" everyone thinks of him as an evil, butchering villain. Henry V and Richard the Lionheart are still usually well thought of and I think King George VI was an amazing monarch and a very great man.

Anyhoo, has Prince Hans-Adam II formally abdicated yet? If not, he might make the list.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Hans-Adam remains the Reigning Prince and Head of the Princely House. Alois is Regent.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Greatness is in the eye of the beholder and often has alot to do with the time and place and with who gets to write your story and how well they do. Elizabeth I had great "press" people and gets alot of credit for great accomplishments during her reign that she didn't really have much to do with. Queen Victoria, oddly enough, all but abdicated for a very long time after Albert died. She was an amazing woman and yet if a monarch displayed her behavior today they would probably be torn to shreds in the media. On the other hand King Edward I was, I think, always considered one of the greatest of English kings but since the movie "Braveheart" everyone thinks of him as an evil, butchering villain. Henry V and Richard the Lionheart are still usually well thought of and I think King George VI was an amazing monarch and a very great man.

Anyhoo, has Prince Hans-Adam II formally abdicated yet? If not, he might make the list.

I agree that greatness is often in the eye of the beholder e.g. I think Henry VIII was a great king as he broke England away from a foreign power that could, and often did, interfere in the affairs of his country.

I have little regard for Richard I who beggared his country to go and fight foreign wars while his much maligned brother (and a lot of the criticism is justified) stayed at home and tried to govern a bankrupt country. I rate John more highly than Richard as a result.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Nobility

Wow, I gotta take your picture......I've never come across anyone who favors King John over King Richard. I cannot say I agree but kudos to you for coming to your own conclusion and swimming against the current.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Abdication is nothing out of the ordinary that is the decision of the monarch that he or she does not want to hold or run that postion anymore.
Even modern times two kings (Cambodia,Bhutan) one queen the late Juilana (Netherlands) and one grand duke Jean (Luxembourg) all did the above for their sons or a daughter.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Nobility

But to be fair all monarchies are not the same and there are a great many for which abdication would be all but unthinkable. In Britain, for example, abdication is, as I understand it, still viewed as something rather disgraceful. The countries you mentioned have traditions of abdicating being almost standard procedure (well, except maybe Cambodia but then King Sihanouk is in a class by himself in a multitude of ways) but many other countries do not.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Courtier

In what countries do Kings/Queens not abdicate, but stay King/Queen until they die?
I only heard about Norway.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Margrethe of Denmark will stay put - till she "drops off the chair" as she has put it. Just like all her predecessors.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
But to be fair all monarchies are not the same and there are a great many for which abdication would be all but unthinkable. In Britain, for example, abdication is, as I understand it, still viewed as something rather disgraceful. The countries you mentioned have traditions of abdicating being almost standard procedure (well, except maybe Cambodia but then King Sihanouk is in a class by himself in a multitude of ways) but many other countries do not.
I am not saying all monarchies have monarchs who abdicate I am talking about they have the choice to do to hold their postions for life or abdicate.
I know Luxembourg and Netherlands are known for their monarchs abdications but Cambodia and Bhutan are not.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Beatrix View Post
In what countries do Kings/Queens not abdicate, but stay King/Queen until they die?
I only heard about Norway.

I only know of The Netherlands where they routinely abdicate in Europe.

Japan, Britain, Spain, Sweden and Denmark all have a history of staying put. I think Belgium also stays put. Russia and Germany also stayed there until death.

The abdication of Edward VIII of GB was so rare that it caused a major upheaval.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II will never abdicate and I don't think many other Monarchs are heading for the door.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Is there anything to prevent Queen Beatrix reigning until her death?

I think only the most exceptional and unusual circumstances would most monarchs decide to abdicate. More likely a regent would be put in place if the monarch became incapacitated due to ill health.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even though it has been done in the past, I do not believe that Queen Beatrix will abdicate until she is certain the Dutch people will accept WA as their king.
The royal landscape has changed so much with the current generation of princes (esses) in waiting. The monarchs will be advised to secure the next generation's place in history before leaving the scene.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Queen Elizabeth II will never abdicate and I don't think many other Monarchs are heading for the door.

I agree that Elizabeth won't abdicate but then again I do think back to her 21st birthday promise 'to serve you all my life'.

What if the best way for her to 'serve' Britain is to abdicate? I can't imagine that situation so this is a 'what if' scenario.

Say she was diagnosed with early stages of alzheimers and so knew that she would eventually lose her faculties. Would she then consider abdication to prevent a regency rather than a full time new monarch? In that way she might feel it was the best way to 'serve' the country would be for her to step aside, assist Charles for a short period before losing her faculties and being unable to carry out her duties, maybe even attend her son's coronation.

Just musing mind you.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I agree that Elizabeth won't abdicate but then again I do think back to her 21st birthday promise 'to serve you all my life'.

What if the best way for her to 'serve' Britain is to abdicate? I can't imagine that situation so this is a 'what if' scenario.

Say she was diagnosed with early stages of alzheimers and so knew that she would eventually lose her faculties. Would she then consider abdication to prevent a regency rather than a full time new monarch? In that way she might feel it was the best way to 'serve' the country would be for her to step aside, assist Charles for a short period before losing her faculties and being unable to carry out her duties, maybe even attend her son's coronation.

Just musing mind you.
Good point, although I hope that this won't come true!