The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
But back to Washington, he decided not to accept the Crown and seems the idea wore off. The United States based their form of government in the style of the Republic of Venice and from there created their own version and identity. And the rest is history.
Washington was actually a loyal British subject until late in the game. There's a book 'For King and Country' that details his service under the British empire.

Washington was mostly conservative (he didn't get along with Jefferson) but because he was a soldier, he was also pragmatic. Some sources have said that he wasn't enough of an idealist to turn down the crown on the basis of democratic ideals. But they suggest that he turned down the crown because he knew he couldn't have children and a hereditary monarchy doesn't get a good start from a man who can't father children.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
Ok people, IF there would be an American royal family, I would surely by the Queen. lol I for one, am glad that we don't practice monarchy, I like the way we do things. But I do agree that we have had and probably still have families who were or are viewed in our country like the royals in their respective countries. The Kennedy scenario is very true. But what a tragic ending. Good thread!
I'd rather have Her Majesty than the imbeciles we keep electing into office.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

HM QE would be a good head of state, but replacing the imbeciles we elect to office with a monarchy wouldn't work any better than what the USA has now. HM could admonish the current leader the way she did Ms. Thatcher. That would be most useful!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:52 PM

There's no evidence to support the idea that the Queen ever admonished Lady Thatcher. Indeed, the press seemed to use the idea when they wanted to attack Lady Thatcher. From interviews with staff of the Queen and Lady Thatcher, it's suggested that they got on very well and only ever disagreed twice - once when Lady T wanted to block the Queen from going to a Commonwealth Meeting and then again over the polltax. But that's hearsay. Both women are likely never to go public with their opinions of each other so I think it's all we can go on.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Aristocracy

I understand QE said something about Thatcher's policies being bad for the Commonwealth.

Urban legends have a way of sprouting so maybe someone else has some information about this.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Nobility

[quote=kimebear]Imagine, if you can, what would happen if a new branch of royalty was created. 1. Do you think they would be accepted by the people, the other royals, and of course, everyone here at TRF, hahaha, as the real deal if lineage was proven?

I would say it depends on the demeanor of the new royal family and the current state of the country they were to rule.

If the demeanor of the new royal family, (“NRF” hereforward), is genuinely humble, kind, exceedingly polite, and they are highly intelligent, then I think they would have a good chance at being accepted by the three critical groups above (people, peers, & us). However, if, in their disposition, any of these descriptives is absent, then I think the probability of their acceptance will be very low.

If the current state of the country is lacking credible leadership and/or the majority of residents are very unhappy, then I think the NRF would have a good chance of being accepted by their critics. If the people are content, then I think the chance of the NRF being accepted would be significantly reduced.

Even if they were commoners up to that point and had not lived their lives in anticipation of reigning? Would it make them any less worthy of reigning than any of the current royal families?

I would say it would depend on how the NRF lived their lives before they became royal. If they led good, ethical, honest, hard-working, moral, enlightenment seeking lives before, then I think it would make their new reigning position more plausible. If they did not lead such lives, then I think they would have to work much, much harder to make themselves worthy of being a NRF. Not an impossible feat, just one that would require considerable more effort.

2. What would you like to see them do as new representatives of their people?

I would like to see them lead altruistic lives for themselves, their people, their country, and the good of the world. I would like them to be, for the most part, adverse to excessive material possessions. I would like them all to be very well educated (whether formerly or not, doesn’t particularly matter). While I would want them to be aware of the world’s political situation, I would never want them to get involved in international situations where they cannot make the ‘right’ choices. I’d rather they abstain from ‘politics’ whenever possible. I would want them to wholeheartedly embrace their country’s people, and do everything feasible to improve their peoples’ standard of living. I would want them to actively promote laws that would protect the environment, the welfare of animals, children, the disabled, the elderly, and healthy modes of living.

3. Would it be better if they were conservative and traditional, or more "with the times"?

Interesting question. I would want them to be conservative and traditional, but with a forward-looking twist. I would want them to revere their country’s past, whether long or short. History would be reflected upon often in the lives of and decisions made by the NRF. However, I would also want them to embrace progressive ways. They would eat very healthy (i.e. organic), live environmentally friendly lives, promote peace at all costs, do what is ‘right’ and not fall prey to unethical practices, raise conscientious future generations, support and promote the arts and sciences, and be 200% resolute on leaving this world better than the way it was when they came into it.

4. And of course, finally, (especially for you jewelry fans) what could they do for regalia and the normal trappings for royalty when these things did not exist and could not be handed down? Should new things be made to resemble ancient symbols or should new symbols for a new reign be made?

If there were no historically significant symbols, then I would want the NRF to create them. There would be no need to create a plethora of them immediately, they could come over centuries derriven or inspired from meaningful country events. But, a few should be created off the bat. I would want them based on truth, humanity, and nature. Basic, but with powerful meanings so that throughout centuries to come, when revered, they would remind people of what is good and constant in our world and lives.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Griffin
What?? I know Stuttgart is in the western part of Germany and therefore was on the western side of the iron curtain and a bit further away from the above mentioned countries, but what?? Romania and Bulgaria had been sovereign states during the cold war.
I guess Fee meant that they were satellite states of the USSR whose politician did what they were told from Moscow.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Commoner

1. Do you think they would be accepted by the people, the other royals, and of course, everyone here at TRF, hahaha, as the real deal if lineage was proven. Yes i think so, if the lineage is proven Even if they were commoners up to that point and had not lived their lives in anticipation of reigning? Would it make them any less worthy of reigning that any of the current royal families? I think that this is a difficult situation, because does a milkman know what to do en how to act, he has no relations with current royals.

2. What would you like to see them do as new representatives of their people?
Just do what al the other royals do, be pretty let us watch them, be a representative of the country,
3. Would it be better if they were conservative and traditional, or more "with the times"? As they see fit, it differce, has to be in style with the country and the people.

4. And of course, finally, (especially for you jewelry fans) what could they do for regalia and the normal trappings for royalty when these things did not exist and could not be handed down? Should new things be made to resemble ancient symbols or should new symbols for a new reign be made? Yes ofcourse the king and queen or queen and consort should receive a nice crown. maybe as a gift of todays kings and queens to the new ones

The most change of ever getting a king and queen --> Germans(the are so happy with al our royals) Hongary and Bulgary.

lets get som additional Kings and Queens

Old 07-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Nobility

In the eyes of native Hawaiians their country is still a monarchy as it was not they but America who was responsible for the overthrow of the Queen and the loss of their country. It is interesting to note that when Hawaii became a state of the U.S. not one single Hawaiian took part in the "celebrations". When Hawaii regains it's indepenence it will be a monarchy.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Aristocracy

Iain,
Do you really think that Hawaii is up for independence? Could they survive without all the American tourists???

Do you remember about 8 or 9 years ago when Life had a special issue on the Royals and they covered a Princess of Hawaii? So I guess there is still a bloodline available.

Tenngirl
Old 07-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl
Iain,
Do you really think that Hawaii is up for independence? Could they survive without all the American tourists???

Do you remember about 8 or 9 years ago when Life had a special issue on the Royals and they covered a Princess of Hawaii? So I guess there is still a bloodline available.

Tenngirl
I firmly believe that every nation has the right to independence if they want it. The Hawaiian's never voted to become part of the USA and should be able to leave if they so wish. There are many countries smaller and poorer than Hawaii that have voted for indendence and are making a go of it. You don't honestly think that Americans would stop visiting if they did leave the union, do you?

The Hawaiian royal family is still in existence. I believe the present claiment to the throne is a prince Quentin.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I've also heard that in French Polynesia, there are some Independentist movements. I'm curious to know if there also are royal families there , claiming to rule again...

Vanesa.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 AM
Nobility

In the Wallis and Futuna Islands, not part of French Polynesia but a French colony, there are Three kingdoms. They are Uvea which consits of Wallis Island and who's king has reigned for over 40 years, and on Futuna there is Sigave and Alo. In French Polynesia Tahiti, Bora Bora, Huahine and Raiatea were all kingdoms and mainly ruled by the same family, the Pomares. The Marquesas Islands and Mangareva were also Kingdoms. Decendants of all these royal families are still to be found and I think that most Polynesians still prefer a monarch rather than a president.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Gentry

i am from the pacific and i can totally understand why. i mean these countries are smaller and therefore back in the days of the monarchies people actually saw the royals more often and got to meet them, thus they were and are very close to their heritage in respect to their monarchies. hawaii is a really sad story....
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

I think Hawaii should be able to leave USA too. It's so far away from most of USA, that it hardly feels like a part of USA! And I still think tourists would be able to go to Hawaii from USA.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

Since I know nothing about Hawaii's history and how they became part of America, can anyone point me in the direction of a good history book?

Alaska is a distance from America. Not as much as Hawaii, obviously, but its not close like the "lower 48". Do you think they should leave the Union and go back to Russia?

What about some of our territories: for example, Puerto Rico and is it the Marshall Islands? Do you think they should be allowed to be free?

Back to a new Royal Family, personally I hope one does not appear. Although I enjoy the message boards, etc. I think that they can be a drain to a country and if they have real power, not use it correctly.

Just my 2 cents!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Since I know nothing about Hawaii's history and how they became part of America, can anyone point me in the direction of a good history book?
Try to get hold of Hawaii's story by Hawaii's Queen. It was written by Queen Liliuokalani and gives a great insight into what really happened and how America was behind the overthrow of the monarchy because it suited their purpose.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Alaska is a distance from America. Not as much as Hawaii, obviously, but its not close like the "lower 48". Do you think they should leave the Union and go back to Russia?

What about some of our territories: for example, Puerto Rico and is it the Marshall Islands? Do you think they should be allowed to be free?
Let's just say, that if Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico would want to break away from USA, I would understand them. They're far away and very different from the rest of USA. Okay, maybe not Alaska is so different culturally, but Hawaii and Puerto Rico are.

Quote:
Back to a new Royal Family, personally I hope one does not appear. Although I enjoy the message boards, etc. I think that they can be a drain to a country and if they have real power, not use it correctly.

Just my 2 cents!!!
I actually don't think a royal family of Hawaii would have any real power. They would be like symbols for Hawaii, like the royal families in Europe are for their countries.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
The United States based their form of government in the style of the Republic of Venice and from there created their own version and identity.
I don't want to pick at details, but the association between the Federal Republic conceived in the United States and Italian republics of the 14th and 15th centuries is one made after the fact. The conscious inspiration at the time (for people such a Ben Franklin, who conceived the system) were actually largely based on the system of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois), who had a government of united tribes which far closer resembled the new American government than Venice (especially since the United States never had a Doge). European inspirations were found and claimed post-production of the American government, partly because the United States found itself in increasingly hostile relations with the Iroquois, from whom the system is borrowed.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

What if the US was divided into Kingdoms, Dukedoms, and Principalities? There would be so much more royalty! You could have the King of New York’s daughter marry the King of California’s eldest son, or the Duke of Tennessee (cousin of the King of the Carolinas) fall in love with his 3rd cousin, the Empress of Louisiana; however, the Empress of Louisiana wants to make a political marriage to strengthen her alliance with the Grand Duke of Texas. The Principality of Washington DC is eager to set up a similar economic system as the Principality of Las Vegas, so they invite the third son of the King of Las Vegas to come and be their new Hereditary Prince, since the ancient royal line of Washington-D-C has no male heir. LOL. There would be less royals marrying their cousins, and a lot more politics to talk about if the US were not united under one Federal government. Maybe more wars lol, but definately more royals.