US Presidents breaking protocal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mktv2000

Aristocracy
City
Seattle
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone had pictures of US Presidents breaking protocal with the european royals. I know a few years ago Bush 43 kissed Queen Sofia on the cheek which is a no-no. Plus I had heard that on the State Visit he paid to the UK recently he touched QEII on the back for a picture. I can't seem to find pictures of either.

megknight said:
I was wondering if anyone had pictures of US Presidents breaking protocal with the european royals. I know a few years ago Bush 43 kissed Queen Sofia on the cheek which is a no-no. Plus I had heard that on the State Visit he paid to the UK recently he touched QEII on the back for a picture. I can't seem to find pictures of either.
Forgive my squirrely ignorance, and please don't anyone get upset with my xenophobism, but....

I don't believe that Americans are supposed to follow strict rules of European royal protocol. I've read that of course, we are expected to be polite, but that's it. With our President, it's different- if you meet him, or the First lady, or whatever, you're not expected- and never will be expected- to bow, or curtsy. A polite handshake is perfectly fine. As far as I know, the same policy applies to foreign heads of state.
Correct away if I'm wrong.
Lollies!
-Kara-

I agree. Although Americans don't bow/curtsey we would not take pout our hand b/f they do. It is good to show some respect.

Reina said:
I agree. Although Americans don't bow/curtsey we would not take pout our hand b/f they do. It is good to show some respect.
Well....that was kinda common sense, huh? That's why I didn't mention it.
^_^
Lollies!
-Kara-

But you know it is kind of something...Why are Americans the only ones that don't have to curtsy. I am not complaining cuz I would not bow/curtsy to anyone, but I the Fouding Fathers totally severed ties with the Royal Crown and that resonates today. Plus the fact that we are the superpower of the world. I am not gloating here, but this is intriguing.

Reina said:
But you know it is kind of something...Why are Americans the only ones that don't have to curtsy. I am not complaining cuz I would not bow/curtsy to anyone, but I the Fouding Fathers totally severed ties with the Royal Crown and that resonates today. Plus the fact that we are the superpower of the world. I am not gloating here, but this is intriguing.

curtseying is optional in most countries... not just for americans.

im sure can allowed to more respect by the Royal Family when i met Prince Charles at Prince's trust i do respect and shake him but i never bow or curtsy at Prince Charles because im American but i would wanted to respect by the Queen MUST! but i never met Queen before!

Sara Boyce

Well just because America is the super power of the world doesnt mean that they dont have to bow or anything, respect is respect no matter where your from or circumstances. European royals should respect the american president and follow their specific way of showing respect, and when american president is in europe they should respect them in the european way.

Gosh I was not trying to assert taht b/c America's "superpowerness". It is just that historically we have distanced ourselves from the concept of treating royals like Europeans do. Sorry. I was not very clear.

LOL@ the "simple texan" comment. The only reason the Bushes claimed residence in the state in the 80's was because of the electoral votes. For a very long time, the only address pappy had was a P.O. box. Then George Jr. had a few failed businesses and decided to steal the governors office. He was born in Conneticuit and raised in Maine. If he is a "Simple Texan" than I am a Russian Empress. He is a rude, uncouth, drydrunk with no sense of right and wrong and who doesn't care about protocol, history or manners. If it wasn't for Pappy, Diebold and the Al-Sauds, he would be night manager at an Arby's. My sources in Texas society say that he is a huge @$$ and addict, along with that blank-faced wife of his.

All of us in America owe the rest of the world a big apology. It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

susanstotz said:
well he is just being himself, a simple texan, which the royals probably do not mind

(saw a documentary on the bbc once, lech walesa was staying with his wife I think at Balmoral and before dinner waiting for him, Elizabeth was talking to her family about how to keep him and his wife feeling comfortable and at ease.

emsaeva said:
LOL@ the "simple texan" comment. The only reason the Bushes claimed residence in the state in the 80's was because of the electoral votes. For a very long time, the only address pappy had was a P.O. box. Then George Jr. had a few failed businesses and decided to steal the governors office. He was born in Conneticuit and raised in Maine. If he is a "Simple Texan" than I am a Russian Empress. He is a rude, uncouth, drydrunk with no sense of right and wrong and who doesn't care about protocol, history or manners. If it wasn't for Pappy, Diebold and the Al-Sauds, he would be night manager at an Arby's. My sources in Texas society say that he is a huge @$$ and addict, along with that blank-faced wife of his.

All of us in America owe the rest of the world a big apology. It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
No dear. You owe me and the rest ppl the U.S. (esp. the ones who righetously voted Bush in) an apology. How dare you assert that we apologize to the world? We are citizens of a sovereign nation and we know what is best for our country. The world does not know what is best esp for the fact that they cannot take care of their own countries in the light of terrorist activities. You are a compromiser. You and those traitors like you can move to Canada already or better yet be like dumb Johnny Depp and move to France and get a fake French accent. All in all you are not a good representation of the U.S. and its values.

Last edited:
A reminder to please be civil and polite in your comments to each other, otherwise this thread will be closed.

While it is not necessary to agree with every member one hundred per cent, it is absolutely necessary to be civil and respectful of each other's opinons and comments.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

Americans aren't expected to observe protocal rules. The Bush and and Borbon families are good friends so it was only natural that George and Laura both gave their friends a kiss on the cheek. Also, the Bush and Windsor families are good friends.

@ emsaeva I don't think we American's owe the world an apology I do think that you should rethink what you wrote about Bush and his "blank faced" wife though. They are a very nice family both the young Bush's and elder Bush's. My family has many connections with the Bush's and I find it offensive that you would call someone such things, you say we owe the world an apology and I believe you owe the Bush's an apology. Love from Texas, Lauren!!!!

Not a U.S. President but interesting pictures anyway.
October 2002 Quebec, Canadian cyclist champion Louis Garneau has his picture taken with the Queen.

Attachments

• 2002oct13quebeclouisgarneau.jpg
    2002oct13quebeclouisgarneau.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 2002oct13quebeclouisgarneauarmshoulder.jpg
    2002oct13quebeclouisgarneauarmshoulder.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 379
kittencrews said:
@ emsaeva I don't think we American's owe the world an apology I do think that you should rethink what you wrote about Bush and his "blank faced" wife though. They are a very nice family both the young Bush's and elder Bush's. My family has many connections with the Bush's and I find it offensive that you would call someone such things, you say we owe the world an apology and I believe you owe the Bush's an apology. Love from Texas, Lauren!!!!
I woud like to know what it means when a lady is "blank faced" ?
I don´t understand the meaning of the words :confused:

H.M. Margrethe said:
I woud like to know what it means when a lady is "blank faced" ?
I don´t understand the meaning of the words :confused:
Expressionless.

mybags said:
Americans aren't expected to observe protocal rules. The Bush and and Borbon families are good friends so it was only natural that George and Laura both gave their friends a kiss on the cheek. Also, the Bush and Windsor families are good friends.
How do you know the Borbons are good friends with the Bush family? Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. and their respective wives?
And I would NOT say the Windsors are good friends with the Bushes. Before George W. Bush came to pay a visit to the Queen, Prince Charles made some rather public remarks about how he disagreed with the president's policies.
By nature of their roles the various Kings and Queens are friendly to ALL American presidents and their wives. If they have friendlier relationships with some more than others they certainly don't make that wide spread public knowledge because it would jeopardize their impartiality and neutrality. There would clearly be an issue if Juan Carlos and Sofia declared that George W. Bush and Laura Bush were their best friends in light of the president's interntional and Iraqi policies which resulted in Spanish troops being killed. Even though friendship with the Bushes would be personal and president Bush's policies being political, both spheres do overlap.

selrahc4 said:
Not a U.S. President but interesting pictures anyway.
October 2002 Quebec, Canadian cyclist champion Louis Garneau has his picture taken with the Queen.
This picture isn't really a good example because Garneau got a lot of public flack for being so casual with the Queen. Even her protocol lady was shocked by Garneau's audacity. But it was the QUEEN who did not do anything about it. Ever the professional she let him take the picture and then carried on with her walkabout.

I liked the way she handled that. She could done something though-like on the Simpsons episode where Homer runs itno her carriage and the Queen has him jailed-LOL. Did any of you all see that?

You don't owe me an apology, emsaeva. People are entitled to their opinion within reasonable boundaries of course.

Does someone know if the Norwegian Royal Family has connections with the Bush Family ? I would be very deceived and sad if I knew the King and the Queen were friends with those persons ...

Oi gevalt. Am I the only one who is tired of people talking about what horrible people the Bushes are?
Whether or not you like them, they are the heads of state of the United States of America, and deserve some respect. Sure, George Bush II does plenty of things that I don't agree with, but he also does plenty of other things that I do agree with- things that people from other countries never hear about. However, he is not a horrible, terrible, disgusting person, as so many seem to believe. A lot of his problems are caused by a sensationalist media and idiot advisers.
Laura Bush has done more for children and literacy in this country than most people will ever know about. She is a lovely person.
And forgive me, but I'd much rather have the Bushes as heads of state than the perennially unstable, scandal-ridden Windsors or Grimaldis. But again, that's just my opinion. You get what you pay for.

In closing, let's get off of the current US president's back, please. Some of us are tired of hearing about it. Thanks.
Lollies and kisses!
-Kara-

susanstotz said:
I thought their name is bourbon
Depends on who's spelling it. I think the Spanish spelling is Borbon, and the French/Italian spelling is Bourbon. I've seen it both ways, and it doesn't seem to matter too much.
Lollies!
-Kara-

This is the first and only warning that the discussion of politics is against our Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines.

This thread was left open because we believed that this dicussion could be carried on without references to politics and the policies of certain governments and their heads of state.

Certain posts in this thread have proven otherwise. If we cannot continue this discussion in a manner that does not refer to the politicial decisions and implications of President Bush and his government's policies then this thread will be closed.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

I'm sorry, Suturegeisha and Alexandria . I didn't want to offend anyone . :)

suturegeisha said:
Oi gevalt. Am I the only one who is tired of people talking about what horrible people the Bushes are?
Whether or not you like them, they are the heads of state of the United States of America, and deserve some respect. Sure, George Bush II does plenty of things that I don't agree with, but he also does plenty of other things that I do agree with- things that people from other countries never hear about. However, he is not a horrible, terrible, disgusting person, as so many seem to believe. A lot of his problems are caused by a sensationalist media and idiot advisers.
Laura Bush has done more for children and literacy in this country than most people will ever know about. She is a lovely person.
And forgive me, but I'd much rather have the Bushes as heads of state than the perennially unstable, scandal-ridden Windsors or Grimaldis. But again, that's just my opinion. You get what you pay for.

In closing, let's get off of the current US president's back, please. Some of us are tired of hearing about it. Thanks.
Lollies and kisses!
-Kara-
I agree!

Now onto the real topic at hand...I'm not sure anyone will find pictures of a US President breaking Royal protocol, simply because it's bad press for both sides of the "coin." If a US President breaks protocol it reflects poorly on him yes, but at the same time, it just goes to show that while he should have know the rules, they weren't given to him clearly before entering the situation by the Royal advisors...bad planning on the Royal side of things too then.

There was the time, although not a US President, but the Prime Minister of Australia (can't remember his name right now) put his arm around the Queen, and she was definately startled and it caused a major uproar because he touched the Queen.

Anita said:
I'm sorry, Suturegeisha and Alexandria . I didn't want to offend anyone . :)
It's cool. No worries. :D
Lollies!
-Kara-

bct88 said:
There was the time, although not a US President, but the Prime Minister of Australia (can't remember his name right now) put his arm around the Queen, and she was definately startled and it caused a major uproar because he touched the Queen.
I've heard that she really dislikes being touched. Odd, but understandable, I suppose....
Lollies!
-Kara-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom