The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Duchess Ravenna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 33
Terms of Endearment

If, say, one happens to be really close and long-standing friends with QEII, for instance, does one get to call her "Lilibet" in private moments? Or is that out of line even for close personal friends and family who've known her for ages?

I seem to recall Marina Ogilvy addressing her as Cousin Lilibet in a letter when there was all that kerfuffle some years back, but I could be mistaken...

How do other monarchs and up-there royals feel about first-name basis?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Ravenna View Post
If, say, one happens to be really close and long-standing friends with QEII, for instance, does one get to call her "Lilibet" in private moments? Or is that out of line even for close personal friends and family who've known her for ages?

I seem to recall Marina Ogilvy addressing her as Cousin Lilibet in a letter when there was all that kerfuffle some years back, but I could be mistaken...

How do other monarchs and up-there royals feel about first-name basis?

I have read numerous times that the only one who can now call her Lillibet is Princess Alexandra. (Perhaps besides Prince Philip) I doubt Marina would ever address her as cousin Lillibet.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Duchess Ravenna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 33
It was a letter that Marina Ogilvy sent her in response to a big uproar over Marina's wedding, IIRC. HM had granted the customary formal permission to marry, but pointedly did not call Marina "my trusty and well-beloved cousin", which prompted the letter in which Marina apologized and addressed HM as Cousin Lilibet. I think the blowup was over Marina marrying an "unsuitable" person and putting private pictures and family business in the paper, or selling photo rights? Maybe someone else will remember better than I do.

Aren't there any other close friends privileged to call her that? Or members of, say, the Mountbatten family? Just curious...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,479
Oh I remember the scandal Marina caused with the Mowatt guy and all the brouhaha that swirled around her. I do not recall reading about any letters she may have exchanged with the Queen and how they addressed each other.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,662
Wasn't there something in the Diary/journal of Queen Victoria which, on the death of her dear Albert, wrote "Now no one is alive who will ever be able to call me by my name"? Or was that quote "made-up" by some news media person as a human interest story?
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Duchess Ravenna's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 33
Oh, that's really sad, if true. Heck, even if made up. Poor dear Queen V...I never really thought of it, but yeah, I guess that would have been the case.

But Marina's letter was indeed published. Perhaps in one of the royal fan mags, like Majesty or Royalty? I absolutely did read it. But that was some scolding, not to be called "trusty and well-beloved".

What has Marina been up to in the years since?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Ravenna View Post
Oh, that's really sad, if true. Heck, even if made up. Poor dear Queen V...I never really thought of it, but yeah, I guess that would have been the case.

But Marina's letter was indeed published. Perhaps in one of the royal fan mags, like Majesty or Royalty? I absolutely did read it. But that was some scolding, not to be called "trusty and well-beloved".

What has Marina been up to in the years since?
I bumped on a thread in these forums that relates to her doings.
If you come across that letter it would be lovely to read it. She caused quite a scandal in her youth.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Wasn't there something in the Diary/journal of Queen Victoria which, on the death of her dear Albert, wrote "Now no one is alive who will ever be able to call me by my name"? Or was that quote "made-up" by some news media person as a human interest story?
If so, it should be said that the "name" queen Victoria referred to was probably her first name Alexandrina. IIRC prince Albert called her "Drina" but when she became queen all others switched over to "Victoria"except her mother, her uncle Leopold and maybe Baroness Lehzen, her former governess. All those died before Albert, so the sentence would make sense.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2018, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
If so, it should be said that the "name" queen Victoria referred to was probably her first name Alexandrina. IIRC prince Albert called her "Drina" but when she became queen all others switched over to "Victoria"except her mother, her uncle Leopold and maybe Baroness Lehzen, her former governess. All those died before Albert, so the sentence would make sense.
IIRC she said "there si no one now who can call me Victoria".. NOT Drina as that was only her name in early childhood. But Albert and probably her mother were the only people who would cal her by her own name.. and her mother died, then a little later so did Albert.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
protocol, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
"chinese gordon" aif australia book bracelets british royal family camilla caracciolo charles china clothes corruption current events daughter daughters duchessofcambridge duchess of cornwall duchess of sussex duke of sussex extramarital affairs family fashion felipe and letizia germany gloucester harry and meghan hasnat khan helena iñaki urdangarín jacobite juan carlos king philippe meghan markle monaco monarchy osborn patronages porphyria prince charles prince harry prince harry of wales prince laurent prince peter princess alexia princess claire princess royal prince william public opinion queen elizabeth queen mary of teck queen maxima royal royal ancestry royal ancestry; oscar and sophia royal family royal geneology royal ladies royal wedding siblings smith soldier state visit surname sweden swedish royal family the crown titles uk styles tom bower wedding windsor castle



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises