Signatures of Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Prince George Frederick Ernest Albert was the Prince of Wales, did he sign his name with P (for Princeps)?

Isn't he the one that was often referred to as "Prinny"?

George Augustus Frederick was referred to as Prinny. He became King George IV.
George Frederick Ernest Albert became King George V.

At the court of King Gustaf III of Sweden, Queen Sophia Magdalena signed her name as Sophie Madeleine.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Prince George Frederick Ernest Albert was the Prince of Wales, did he sign his name with P (for Princeps)?

Isn't he the one that was often referred to as "Prinny"?

George Augustus Frederick was referred to as Prinny. He became King George IV.
George Frederick Ernest Albert became King George V.

Thanks! I am very good at getting my Georges all mixed up. :D

Because he's not King of that country I imagine :)

Maybe I'm wrong but I understood Duc_et_Pair's post that the 'R' was dropped when signing his name on documents in the Netherlands?

Why was the "R" behind his name dropped?

My guess - and it's purely a guess - would be that since the Dutch don't use all the pomp within the Netherlands, the R is dropped there, but since other countries expect the pomp it is used outside of the Netherlands.

If memory serves, in the Netherlands they don't typically do things like bowing or curtseying, but if a Dutch Prince greets a foreign royal outside of the Netherlands he's still likely to bow - minimal pomp in the realm, but expected pomp outside of it. Of course, that's just my guess.

The R in the name is not used because anyone in the kingdom is supposed to know who that person is who signs with a first name only ('Willem-Alexander, 'Juliana', etc.).

Outside the kingdom the R is used, but not consequently. When on a page in a guestbook is already written "The King of the Netherlands" then Willem-Alexander will leave the R aside.

letizia & felipe they put the "r" in portugal. let's see if there are in spain signatures.

The R in the name is not used because anyone in the kingdom is supposed to know who that person is who signs with a first name only ('Willem-Alexander, 'Juliana', etc.).

Outside the kingdom the R is used, but not consequently. When on a page in a guestbook is already written "The King of the Netherlands" then Willem-Alexander will leave the R aside.

As stated, inside the Kingdom the King signs with Willem-Alexander
Picture

Outside the Kingdom the King signs with Willem-Alexander R
Picture

:flowers:

Some of them have a very nice writing, others a terrible one. I,myself, has a terrible writing and when I sign I try to do the best that I ca but I know that it isn't easy and that requires much effort... I was surprised to see how good was the signature and writing of Princess Charlene for example, and how bad IMO is Catherine Cabridge's writing...

British royals who are prince/ss sign with their christian name. The Duke of Edinburgh sings as 'Philip' the Duchess of Cambridge signs as 'Catherine'

Non royal members sign with their first and last names. 'Zara Tindall'

Margrethe II of Denmark's signature

320px-Margrethe_II_-_signature.jpg

Frederika of Hannover,queen of Greece signature

Frederika_of_Hannover_signature.svg

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Asturias

292px-Leonor_spain_sig.svg.png

HRH The Infanta Sofía of Spain

292px-Sofia_spain_sig.svg.png

Throughout her life and the various title changes, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood signed her name as "Mary".
However, on her and Henry's marriage certificate, would she not by law be required to sign her first Christian name of Victoria first?

I suppose in a strictly legal sense you're correct. However I hardly think the Constable of the Tower would arrive to drag her to a prison cell because of her signature. She was always known as Mary. I don't think King George was too keen on the name Victoria, myself, and if his grandmother hadn't been alive at the time of Mary's birth she probably wouldn't have been given it.

Last edited:
Throughout her life and the various title changes, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood signed her name as "Mary".
However, on her and Henry's marriage certificate, would she not by law be required to sign her first Christian name of Victoria first?

There was similar discussion about this a few months ago elsewhere. The Law doesn't really come into unless it is found that someone other than Princess Mary fraudulently signed the marriage certificate, which would involve witnesses being complicit also.
In short, Mary need only sign such document in her own hand and preferably in the normal manner she would have signed any other document.

Here it is :flowers:
http://medlem.spray.se/tik01/denmark1jpg.jpg

and the Condolence letter to King Harald where she signed with "Daisy"
http://www.kongehuset.no/c27428/binfil/download.php?tid=92970

On this page there can be found some more autographs of Royals
Untitled Document

interesting to see that margrethe wrote an almost personal telegram to harald on the occasion of the 2011 terrorist attacks in norway, and that she signs it with her nickname, as you would when writing to a friend. can someone tell us if the letter is written in danish or norwegian? if in danish, i assume harald would understand it when written? i wonder in what language they communicate when together.

interesting to see that margrethe wrote an almost personal telegram to harald on the occasion of the 2011 terrorist attacks in norway, and that she signs it with her nickname, as you would when writing to a friend. can someone tell us if the letter is written in danish or norwegian? if in danish, i assume harald would understand it when written? i wonder in what language they communicate when together.

Me too. What language do they speak. Also with Carl Gustaf - Sylvia

Back
Top Bottom