Signatures of Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking at the respective royal websites and social media accounts it seems that Queen Margrethe uses R to sign official documents both domestically and abroad (her grandfather famously signed Christian Rex and caused a diplomatic incident with Hitler because of it), King Carl Gustav uses R to sign official documents aimed at abroad and King Harald at least uses R to sign official documents aimed at abroad (I haven't seen a document signed by him aimed at domestically).

What is the reason for using R internationally and not using it domestically?

Leonor has such grown-up handwriting.

In a slightly different medium, at 10:08 in this lovely documentary you can see a bunch of VIPs who signed the windows at Fredensborg in Denmark with a diamond, continuing the Victorian (older?) custom. Including Elizabeth II as "Lilibet".

So let's see if I got it right:

1) Elizabeth and Felipe (maybe Harad too?) always sign with R after their names.

2) Carl Gustaf and Willem-Alexander only use R overseas ?

3) Philippe never signs with R ?

4) What about Margrethe?

I appreciate the answers.

There is a card for Christmas in the cotilleando forum signed by haakon, mette and ingrid but i can't have access to it. Does anyone has it?

There is a card for Christmas in the cotilleando forum signed by haakon, mette and ingrid but i can't have access to it. Does anyone has it?

I didn't find any Christmas card in Cotilleando. Send me the link by private message.

Margrethe II - signature

320px-Margrethe_II_-_signature.jpg

Albert II of Belgium Signature

331px-Albert_II_of_Belgium_Signature.svg.png

Juan Carlos I of Spain Signature
320px-Juan_Carlos_I_of_Spain_Signature.svg.png

I know King Willem-Alexander does that, but I am not sure if it applies to Maxima too.

Perhaps its just the king,but I think this was asked a few pages back too.

Whose signature is your favorite? I like Queen Camilla's signature but I also really like the way Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon wrote the M in her name.

Does anyone know when the Kings and Queens started signing with the R? When did this tradition begin? And did emperors also have some similar tradition?

Does anyone know when the Kings and Queens started signing with the R? When did this tradition begin? And did emperors also have some similar tradition?

Emperors sign themselves I for Imperator/Imperatrix. Victoria signed VRI after becoming Empress of India. Her son did not like the I, but I think both his son and grandson used it.

Back
Top Bottom