Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrhcp

Royal Highness
Country
Canada
And how come they have different colours ?
I have been reliably informed that they are called "sashes".
Now, at King Carl Gustav's 50-th birthday, I see on a lot of the pictures on LTR that the out of country royals wear light blue sashes, and Princess Caroline elects to wear a red-white-red sash.

My question ... are there certain rules of what the out of country royals wear?
And I have also noticed that the princes at times wear their sash almost horizontally over their tummy and not over their shoulder, and wonder what the significance of this is?

The most common appear to be light blue and purple.
And then there are national colours - Norway has a nice edge to theirs. Monaco also has more than one colour.

I don't remember if the Swedish RF has muli-colour ... shouldn't there be an acknowledgement of the national colours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Danish version, light blue

Attachments

• light_blue_dk_joachim_manley_125.jpeg
    light_blue_dk_joachim_manley_125.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 922
Norwegian version
Mainly red, with thin edges that are white outside, blue, and white

Attachments

• mainly_red_no_Haakon_wedding.jpeg
    mainly_red_no_Haakon_wedding.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,589
this is Finlands Sash, worn by Victoria

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 923
the german Sash worn by Madeleine

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
here is the swedish Sash Lilian, silvia and Carl Gusaf

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 980
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,058
here is the best picture I can find of the Monaco Sash

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,660
actually haakon, I don't think he is. William-Alexander of the Netherlands is wearing an identical sash as P. Charles. If this was at a wedding, it could be the sash of the country and Prince Albert didn't recieve one from that particular country (yet).

I would like to know how one "gets" a sash? I know it's a tremendous honour to be bestowed one, but is it something you just get or something you have to earn? For example, will Mary automatically get a sash on her first state visit to Sweden by King Carl Gustaf? Or will it take several years before she is bestowed the honour? (And by the same token, when one leaves a royal family, as was the case for Diana and Fergie, would the sashes be given back?)

I think you get one when you marry into a family. And then if you do a offical visit to another country you get one (or they give you one when they visit you). I don't think you get to keep it, because you won't do any "royal" visits to the country (as a representitve of your ex family) if you get divorced.

Fireweaver . Posted: Sep 28th, 2003 - 4:50 pm
actually haakon, I don't think he is. William-Alexander of the Netherlands is wearing an identical sash as P. Charles. If this was at a wedding, it could be the sash of the country and Prince Albert didn't receive one from that particular country (yet).
I've noticed this anomaly onother occasion Fireweaver, so I don't know the right answer. At King Carl Gustav's 50th birthday bash, I recall seeing that all royal guests wore light blue sashes, except for Princess Caroline who wore the Monaco sash (just like P. Albert here).
Go figure !!!

www.corbis.com - King Juan Carlos and Crown Prince Felipe wearing what I suppose is the Spanish sash at the funeral of the Count of Barcelona.

Attachments

• SP_count_death_103.jpg
    SP_count_death_103.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 799
www.polfoto.dk - A different sash for Infanta Cristina. I noticed that her husband Inaki does not have one but his brother-in-law Jaime does. Is this because Jaime comes from a noble family and Inaki doesn't?

Attachments

• SP_cristina_inaki_155.jpg
    SP_cristina_inaki_155.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,171
Alexandria  Posted: Sep 28th, 2003 - 8:22 pm
www.polfoto.dk - A different sash for Infanta Cristina. I noticed that her husband Inaki does not have one but his brother-in-law Jaime does. Is this because Jaime comes from a noble family and Inaki doesn't?
I think Inaki might be in the same class as Ari Behn of Norway, who also is not accorded the privileges of certain things.

Quick question: Does this mean that none of the Greek royals have sashes since they do no make any official state visits or host any of their own? Or might King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie have some from before they were exhiled? And might the children of the King and Queen have been bestowed "honorary" sashes by their Spanish and Danish relatives?

What a interesting topic you have started haakon2! I never thought much about these sashes before and now I am in overdrive!

www.ibl.se - State visit by Danish royals to Belgium.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik must be wearing the Belgian sashes and King Albert and Queen Paola the Danish ones.

Attachments

• BM_DK_105a.jpg
    BM_DK_105a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,465
www.ibl.se - From the same state visit, Prince Laurent and Crown Princess Mathilde must not have the Danish sash like Crown Prince Phillippe.

Attachments

• BM_family_110.jpg
    BM_family_110.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 986
Queen Beatrix wearing the Dutch sash.

Attachments

• NL_beatrix_129.jpg
    NL_beatrix_129.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 731
Alexandria,
You have me stumped, with all the sashes worn by the spanish RF.
1) yellow with red edges, same colours as their flag.
2) blue with edges being white edge, blue, and white
3) light purple with white edges.
4) neon blue
5) yellow
6) green
7) red edged with blue edge and white.

I wonder if there is connection with the country they are honouring?
#2 and the dress of the man standing beside her gives a suggestion of Greece (national colours are white and blue)?

I wonder if the story tells itself better if we know where (in which country) these photo's were taken?

Here are different sashes for the Norwegian royals.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_mette_marit_500b.jpg
    NY_haakon_mette_marit_500b.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,323
Alexandria  Posted: Sep 28th, 2003 - 8:29 pm
www.ibl.se - State visit by Danish royals to Belgium.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik must be wearing the Belgian sashes and King Albert and Queen Paola the Danish ones.
I wonder if they are not according respect to each other?

I have noticed that the Belgium national sash is purple, and that of Denmark is light blue.

And then, in the next picture, because Philipe is crown prince, he respects the Danes too?
while the Crown Princess hasn't earned the right yet? (I don't know)
and Prince Laurent isn small fiddle?

Back
Top Bottom