Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Netherlands

1. Order of the Lion of the Netherlands
Grand Master: HM Queen Beatrix
conferred on persons who have rendered exceptional service to society
Grand Ribbon holder, Grand officer, Commander, Officer, Knight
alex.jpg
galeria64.jpg

2. Order of Orange-Nassau
Grand Ribbon holder, Grand officer, Commander, Officer, Knight
conferred on persons who have rendered exceptional service to society
OranienIS-tn.jpg
Brabant222.jpg

3. Military Order of William
awarded for bravery
Grand Cross, Commander, Officer, Knight
mwo_grootkruis_sjerp.gif
mwo_grootkruis_ster.gif
beatrix.jpg

4. Order of the House of Orange
onferred on persons who have rendered special service to the Royal House.
guests1.jpg
2749.jpeg

5. Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau.
same: in Luxembourg

Last edited:
Lichtenstein

1. Order of Merit of the Principality of Liechtenstein
Grand Star
• Grand Cross With Diamonds of the Princely Liechtenstein Order of Merit
• Grand Cross of the Princely Liechtenstein Order of Merit
• Commander`s Cross with Star of the Princely Liechtenstein Order of Merit • Commander`s Cross of the Princely Liechtenstein Order of Merit
• Knight`s Cross of the princely Liechtenstein Order of Merit
Grand Master: HSH Fürst Hans Adam II
This order wear by Prince Alois.
clear.gif

s23_1_02.jpg
liechtenstein001.jpg
sophiebayern1967-2.jpg

TMK, the only sash Diana received was a junior Dutch one, orange with white stripes. There's a photo of her wearing it somewhere on the net.

Do you think for this pic? This is Order of the House of Orange.
HU054552.jpg

Monaco

1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Order of St Charles
Grand Master: HSH Fürst Albert II
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For merit and for services to the state or Prince.
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 5 (Knight Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight).
monaco003.jpg
monaco004.jpg
monaco005.jpg
hsh_crown_prince_albert_cover.jpg

[/font]

Great Britain

All orders, have got own ceremonial robes with hats, chains, but space quota didn't allowe upload all pics. :(

1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Most Noble Order of the Garter
Sovereign: HM Queen Elizabeth II
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Services to the Crown or nation.
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 1 (Knight or Dame Companion).
united-kingdom004.jpg
united-kingdom006.jpg
DSC01532a.jpg

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
2. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For services to Scotland and to the Crown.
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 1 (Knight or Lady of the Thistle).[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
queen%20in%20kostuum%20thistle.jpg
OofThst.Jpeg

3. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Most Honourable Order of the Bath[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For outstanding service in the Armed Forces or Civil Service.
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: (Knight or Dame Grand Cross, Knight or Dame Commander, and Companion) in two divisions, Civil and Military.
OBEBlk.Jpeg

4. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Royal Victorian Order[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Personal services to the Sovereign.
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 5 (Knight or Dame Grand Cross, Knight or Dame Commander, Commander, Lieutenant and Member)
uk201.jpg
open_sm_1018_2004.jpg

5. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sovereign: HM Queen Elizabeth II
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For services to British interests abroad, particularly in the Diplomatic Service.
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 3.
StMclGrg.Jpeg

[/font]

Last edited:
Spain

1. ORDER OF GOLDEN FLEECE
Sovereign: HM King Juan Carlos I
GF-tn.jpg

2. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Order of Charles III[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Grades: Collar, Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Knight.
chas3dec.jpg
1507ca4fefe220504p.jpg

3. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Order of Isabella the Catholic
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: Collar, Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer, Knight, Silver Cross, Silver Medal, Bronze Medal.
isblcat2.jpg
WAMaxima22.jpg

4. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Military Order of Merit
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 2 (Grand Cross and Cross) in 4 Divisions

MMeritI-tn.jpg
pasc02g.jpg

5. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Naval Order of Merit
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grades: 2 (Grand Cross and Cross) in 4 Divisions
MarineMeritI-tn.jpg
personaje_10_an207_al300.jpg

[/font]

Last edited:
Greece

1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Order of the Redeemer
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] To distinguished Greek citizens who have defended the interests of the country in time of war or, who have rendered highly exceptional social services in Greece or abroad. The Order is also conferred upon eminent personalities who are not Greek citizens.
Grand Master: HM King Konstantin II, HE President of Greece
RedeemerI2-tn.jpg
constantin53.jpg

2. [/font] ROYAL HOUSE ORDER OF ST. GEORGE AND CONSTANTINE
Grand Master: HM King Kontantin II
Grade: 5
GCI-tn.jpg
freddenmark306.jpg

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Royal House Order of SS. Olga and Sophia
Grand Master: HM King Konstantin II
Grade: 4
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To women for services to the Greek Royal House.
OSI-tn.jpg
MarieChantal140504t.jpg
[/font]

will camilla wear a sash?

Just wondering if Camilla will wear a sash now that she is royalty.

H.M. Margrethe said:
:confused: Ther is somthing i don´t understand...why are CP Mette-Marit not having the same coulor of sash like her husband,Mother in-law and Farther in-law ???
King Harald, Queen Sonja and CP Haakon are wearing a ligthblue sash,BUT CP Mette-marit are wering a darkblue sash why ???

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157728
Princesses Astrid, Mette-Marit and Martha Louise dont have the ligth blue sash yet, they has the polar star.

vinjan said:
Just wondering if Camilla will wear a sash now that she is royalty.

At the moment The Duchess of Cornwall is not a member of any Order or decoration, so she will not get to wear any sashes.

Probably in time

StoneCold said:
At the moment The Duchess of Cornwall is not a member of any Order or decoration, so she will not get to wear any sashes.

Probably in time

It is highly un-likely that The Duchess of Cornwall will ever be awarded a decoration, they are usually only achievable by those in the armed forces (the military cross, distinguished service cross, air force cross etc) are decorations. The Duchess shall probably become a member of the Royal Victorian Order, but only after she has proven her service to the monarchy is worthy of such recognition.

And to wear the sash of the Royal Victorian Order, one must have revieced the Knight/Dame Grand Cross of The Royal Victorian Order, and considering that HRH THe Duke of York, and HRH The Earl of Wessex aren't recipiants of the Grand Cross of the Order, I don't think the Duchess of Cornwall will be wearing a sash of any order, for a long time.

I hope she'll never receive any orders. I don't like her. But this is my personal opinion.
In fact: Her Majesty all daughter-in-law, received her Family order: Princess Diana of Wales (after 10 years), Sophie (after 5 years), Fergie didn't receive it. Camilla if she will be hard working, I think she'll recieve at first: Family order, and after (about 10 years) she'll receive The Royal Victorian Order.

Oh, but, if she attend any royal state visit, she'll receive any orders, this is very possible. And I think she'll attend all state visits, which The Prince of Walles are.

What are the names and classes of the various German Sashes? I see that Prince Ernst wears one as well as various other German Princes do. I can't say that I have seen a Princess wearing one though. The color that I have noticed is always Red yet some wear it on the left shoulder and some on the right. Thanks for all feedback.

German Sashes

michelleq said:
What are the names and classes of the various German Sashes?
Most of the German Royal/Princely families have their own orders, sashes and decorations. Colours may be similar in some cases but there would be subtle differences, from the shade and pattern in the watered silk, to whether the sash is worn right or left.

What sash is Furst Richard Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg is wearing here?

Attachments

• Benedikte148.jpg
    Benedikte148.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 366
Please, sashed aren't individual items. They are pieces of insignia, worn as part of an Order of Knighthood. To call then a sash, is just to say they are a long piece of material, worn over the shoulder, or around the waist.

I'm not attacking anyone, but better termanology serves everyone.

michelleq said:
What sash is Furst Richard Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg is wearing here?

His Highness is wearing the Grand Cross of the order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. It is a little ironic that a member of a Royal family is wearing an order from a Republic, but I gather it was awarded to him for service to the German people.

Informative thread...thanks to everybody for your pictures and information.

Von Schlesian said:
His Highness is wearing the Grand Cross of the order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. It is a little ironic that a member of a Royal family is wearing an order from a Republic, but I gather it was awarded to him for service to the German people.

Thank you Von Schlesian.

Thank you Torkel :)

Last edited:
Lord Sosnowitz said:
I hope she'll never receive any orders. I don't like her. But this is my personal opinion.
In fact: Her Majesty all daughter-in-law, received her Family order: Princess Diana of Wales (after 10 years), Sophie (after 5 years), Fergie didn't receive it. Camilla if she will be hard working, I think she'll recieve at first: Family order, and after (about 10 years) she'll receive The Royal Victorian Order.

I think that is a good time frame Lord Sosnowitz. But Diana received the RFO in 1983. There are pictures of her wearing it to a banquet in honor of Queen Beatrix in 1983.

Order of the Thistle

As far as I can see this is the thread for discussing the orders of chivalry, despite the fact that its name is concerned with certain pieces of cloth. :) I’d like to ask two questions about the Scottish Order of the Thistle.

Firstly, why King Olav V of Norway was made a Knight of the Thistle in 1962? It is a ‘unique’ in history of the Order—as far as I know, no other foreign monarch has received the second-highest British order of chivalry. Did the late King of Norway have some special connection with Scotland?

Secondly, can a foreign non-Christian monarch be theoretically invested as a Knight of the Thistle, the same way as the Emperor of Japan received the Garter in 1998?

Back
Top Bottom