Originally posted by kittencrews@Nov 26th, 2003 - 12:33 pm
Awww... Thank you Sean.~
Oh, you're very welcome!!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by beebee@Nov 26th, 2003 - 1:41 am
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69099572QCPBJu

At Alexandra and Joachim's wedding, Alexandra's father wore a white sash lined in red. As far as I could tell, her mother didn't wear one, but then neither did Margrethe; Joachim, Frederik, and Henrik, of course, all wore the customary light blue sash. (I do see a few occasions when men wear sashes and women seem not to - I suppose this was one of them.) At the time, I thought the RF just bestowed sashes upon non-royals so their tuxedos wouldn't look so plain, but perhaps not! Can anyone tell me about this colorless sash?
Sean has already answered this one - Queen Margrethe did wear the sash of the Order of the Elephant. The Danish royal family has the tradition of giving the Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark's 2nd Order) to parents-in-law of those who marry Danish Princes/Princesses. Thus Richard Manley wore the sash of the Order of the Dannebrog. I don't know why it was not given to his wife.
The Dowager Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, mother of Prince Richard (husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark) also has this Order. She wore it at the wedding of her granddaughter Pss Alexandra zu Sayn-W-Berleburg to Count Jefferson von Pfeil.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Torkel+Nov 26th, 2003 - 6:46 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Torkel @ Nov 26th, 2003 - 6:46 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-beebee@Nov 26th, 2003 - 1:41 am
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69099572QCPBJu

At Alexandra and Joachim&#39;s wedding, Alexandra&#39;s father wore a white sash lined in red.&nbsp; As far as I could tell, her mother didn&#39;t wear one, but then neither did Margrethe; Joachim, Frederik, and Henrik, of course, all wore the customary light blue sash.&nbsp; (I do see a few occasions when men wear sashes and women seem not to - I suppose this was one of them.)&nbsp; At the time, I thought the RF just bestowed sashes upon non-royals so their tuxedos wouldn&#39;t look so plain, but perhaps not&#33;&nbsp; Can anyone tell me about this colorless sash?
Sean has already answered this one - Queen Margrethe did wear the sash of the Order of the Elephant. The Danish royal family has the tradition of giving the Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark&#39;s 2nd Order) to parents-in-law of those who marry Danish Princes/Princesses. Thus Richard Manley wore the sash of the Order of the Dannebrog. I don&#39;t know why it was not given to his wife.
The Dowager Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, mother of Prince Richard (husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark) also has this Order. She wore it at the wedding of her granddaughter Pss Alexandra zu Sayn-W-Berleburg to Count Jefferson von Pfeil. [/b][/quote]
Interesting&#33;&#33; I haven&#39;t seen many photos of Richard Manley at formal events, so that&#39;s the only time I saw that particular style of sash. But I guess we&#39;ll be seeing the same sash on Professor Donaldson in May&#33;

Is this just a Danish tradition then? The other royal families don&#39;t bestow them upon in-laws, do they?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by norwegianne@Dec 17th, 2003 - 8:36 pm
Some links of various royal&#39;s and their orders/sashes.

A guide from Debrett&#39;s on what orders should be worn at what kind of occasion.

More about British honours

All I had the time for, at the moment.
It is important to note that these rules (from Debrett&#39;s) only applies to the wearing of Orders and Decorations in the United Kingdom. Many of the rules are similar in other countries also, but there are several major differences.

In the UK the rule is you only wear British decorations. If you attend an event to honour a guest from a foreign country you can wear any orders/decorations you might have received from that country. If you have no British decorations or no decorations from the country whose guest is present you do not wear decorations (even though you might have several decorations from other countries).

This is different in many of the other European countries. In Scandinavia you always wear orders/decorations from your own country to national events or if an event to honour a foreign guest orders/decorations from his/her country. However if you have no decorations from your own country and have not received any decorations from the visiting guest, you can wear whatever other orders/decorations you might have received.

Another difference is the fact that UK-citizens are normally not allowed to received foreign decorations. Those present during state visits receive orders as a formality, but if a country wishes to honour a British citizen "outside" a state visit he/she has to apply to the Central Chancery of the O of Knighthood to be allowed to receive it. This is also a tradition you do not find in other countries. A Norwegian citizen can receive any decoration he is given, the Norwegian state doesn&#39;t interfere.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

order of brunei
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2004, 04:17 AM
Aristocracy

Duchess of Brabant wear spanish order (Order of Isabella...)
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Courtier

Why is it that none of HRH Princess Benedikte&#39;s children have a sash nor Order of Denmark? Queen Anne Marie&#39;s does? Is there a specific reason? Also, does the Monarch and the Heir wear their sashes differently from the other royals?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Nobility

Sashes (or Orders) have all sorts of rules attached to them. First of all, you have to be granted one. They are generally speaking to do with historic orders of chivalry or country honours. Many of them have a cap on living members. For instance, the Order of the Garter (UK) and the Order of the Elephant (Denmark) have set numbers. They are usually granted to the most senior members of the royal family (and foreign royal families.) However, if the order is maxed out, then the monarch can not grant a new order until somebody dies.

The sashes also come with other regalia. The stars that you see men wear on their chests, and women under their breasts go with the sashes. Sometimes, you&#39;ll see several stars, but only one sash. They wear the sash of the most senior order and the stars from the others. For instance, Prince Charles usually wears the dark blue Order of the Garter sash, but he will wear the stars of the Orders of the Garter, Bath and Thistle. Many sashes also include a fob that hangs on the bottom of the sash, this is another way to tell them apart. The light blue sash that Queen Anne-Marie wears is the Order of the Elephant, and has an elephant as a fob. Prince Nikolaos&#39; light blue sash (worn over the other shoulder) has a different fob. For very special occasions, there are quite often chains that are worn from shoulder to shoulder, draping in the front and back.

I know that the official site of the British monarchy lists what orders each member of the family has. I would assume that many others do as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Majesty

what order do you like the best
Old 10-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Nobility

I never understood why they have different shashes. When do they wear each of them?

http://royalnews.w4.clicdev.com/f/index.php
Old 12-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Courtier

Saches and orders belong to each other. So Felipe of Spain has a lot of Orders and therefore a lot of saches.

The sach Felipe wore to the wedding of Willem-Alexander and Maxima was Orange with a blue stripe. This means the sach is given to him by the queen of the Netherlands along with the Dutch order he got.

So, when Victoria of Sweden marries, most royals will wear Swedish saches and corresponding orders if they have one.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

thanks for the explanations. Have you got some webs that explains more?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Where did all this sash and order stuff come from? That would make a great Monty Python show...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

I know this is a thread about sashes but I was looking at pictures today from Corbis and notices at Carl Gustaf's 50th birthday "party" Princess Caroline and GrandDuchess MT had on the same light blue pin/ order but I could not find a close up of the order. Does anyone know if the Swedish House gave these pins to certain people?

Also I think it is a little strange that Albert and Caroline never recieve another house's sash... it's kind of shoving it in their faces that people don't believe they are true royals! ha ha
Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveCristina
I never understood why they have different shashes. When do they wear each of them?
Sashes (and especially crosses) are imho an evolution of orders that have developed since the Crusades. First as a way of remembering the 'great achievement' which let us not forget was done under the auspices of the church- thus there are also religious overtones.

They wear the sashes (they have been given) when they are invited to a function in that host's city/country.

Imo Belgium's and Luxembourg's (top) sashes are pretty dull, respectively purple and orange (?). Along the same line as Sweden's and Denmark's top sashes ... light blue.
No edge trim to these four sashes. In that case, its imo better to be awarded a second order sash from Denmark.

I don't recall to have seen the second order sashes of Sweden, Belgium and Luxembourg.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Courtier

dont some luxembourgs wear yellow?