Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is it that none of HRH Princess Benedikte's children have a sash nor Order of Denmark? Queen Anne Marie's does? Is there a specific reason? Also, does the Monarch and the Heir wear their sashes differently from the other royals?

Sashes (or Orders) have all sorts of rules attached to them. First of all, you have to be granted one. They are generally speaking to do with historic orders of chivalry or country honours. Many of them have a cap on living members. For instance, the Order of the Garter (UK) and the Order of the Elephant (Denmark) have set numbers. They are usually granted to the most senior members of the royal family (and foreign royal families.) However, if the order is maxed out, then the monarch can not grant a new order until somebody dies.

The sashes also come with other regalia. The stars that you see men wear on their chests, and women under their breasts go with the sashes. Sometimes, you'll see several stars, but only one sash. They wear the sash of the most senior order and the stars from the others. For instance, Prince Charles usually wears the dark blue Order of the Garter sash, but he will wear the stars of the Orders of the Garter, Bath and Thistle. Many sashes also include a fob that hangs on the bottom of the sash, this is another way to tell them apart. The light blue sash that Queen Anne-Marie wears is the Order of the Elephant, and has an elephant as a fob. Prince Nikolaos' light blue sash (worn over the other shoulder) has a different fob. For very special occasions, there are quite often chains that are worn from shoulder to shoulder, draping in the front and back.

I know that the official site of the British monarchy lists what orders each member of the family has. I would assume that many others do as well.

Saches and orders belong to each other. So Felipe of Spain has a lot of Orders and therefore a lot of saches.

The sach Felipe wore to the wedding of Willem-Alexander and Maxima was Orange with a blue stripe. This means the sach is given to him by the queen of the Netherlands along with the Dutch order he got.

So, when Victoria of Sweden marries, most royals will wear Swedish saches and corresponding orders if they have one.

thanks for the explanations. Have you got some webs that explains more?

Where did all this sash and order stuff come from? That would make a great Monty Python show...

Last edited:
I know this is a thread about sashes but I was looking at pictures today from Corbis and notices at Carl Gustaf's 50th birthday "party" Princess Caroline and GrandDuchess MT had on the same light blue pin/ order but I could not find a close up of the order. Does anyone know if the Swedish House gave these pins to certain people?

Also I think it is a little strange that Albert and Caroline never recieve another house's sash... it's kind of shoving it in their faces that people don't believe they are true royals! ha ha

ILoveCristina said:
I never understood why they have different shashes. When do they wear each of them?
Sashes (and especially crosses) are imho an evolution of orders that have developed since the Crusades. First as a way of remembering the 'great achievement' which let us not forget was done under the auspices of the church- thus there are also religious overtones.

They wear the sashes (they have been given) when they are invited to a function in that host's city/country.

Imo Belgium's and Luxembourg's (top) sashes are pretty dull, respectively purple and orange (?). Along the same line as Sweden's and Denmark's top sashes ... light blue.
No edge trim to these four sashes. In that case, its imo better to be awarded a second order sash from Denmark.

I don't recall to have seen the second order sashes of Sweden, Belgium and Luxembourg.

hrhcp said:
I'm not sure if the sash colour is gold or yellow or orange.
it looks like it's a sort of dark goldish kind of a color.

I've inserted two pictures that might help clearify the pins I was talking about one picture is of the GDuke and GDuchess of Luxemburg and P Caroline and the other picture is just Caroline but it shows a closer view of the pin.

Attachments

• 0000316618-029.jpg
    0000316618-029.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 0000316618-030.jpg
    0000316618-030.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 378
kittencrews said:
I've inserted two pictures that might help clearify the pins I was talking about one picture is of the GDuke and GDuchess of Luxemburg and P Caroline
That's nice.

Is that the lady's (everyday dress) version to the men's formal cross?

http://www.medals.org.ukVery good reference site with a lot of photos of sashes and medals of the different royal houses.

Not all have pictures, but there are links to other sites that may on this particular site.

Princess Michael of Kent in a pale blue sash.
pr_michael-duke.jpg

kittencrews said:
I've inserted two pictures that might help clearify the pins I was talking about one picture is of the GDuke and GDuchess of Luxemburg and P Caroline and the other picture is just Caroline but it shows a closer view of the pin.
This was a medal all the guests received to commemmorate the event - King Carl Gustaf's 50th birthday. You will see that all the guests wore this small pale blue medal with their evening-wear for the big banquet. Some of the guests, like Pss Caroline and GDss of Luxembourg chose to wear it also during the day-time events.

Medals are not the same as Orders, as they only come in one grade with no sashes or collars.

james said:
Princess Michael of Kent in a pale blue sash.
Princess Michael of Kent is seen together with Prince Carlos of Borbon-Two Sicilies (soi-disant Duke of Calabria) and his wife Camilla. They are considered by some as claimants to the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, which disappeared in the 1860s when Italy was united. (there is a rival claimant to the throne but this is not the point here). I guess the British Princess has accepted an order from this long-gone Kingdom.
Prince Carlos has started giving out orders to quite a few "celebrities" during later years, including the President of Syria, Lady Thatcher and (as can been seen) Princess Michael of Kent.
Personally I don't think it was wise of her to accept this, as the Kingdom does not exist and the right of this Prince to give out orders has been questioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have learned that the order Princess Michael is wearing is that of the Grand Cross of the Constantinian Order of St. George. It's a Catholic order of which the Duke of Calabria is Grand Prior and the Princess went to the Vatican to receive it in 1995. It is not the order of the old Italian Monarchy in the way that say the Order of the Garter is to the British Monarchy. Recipients have to be approved by the Vatican so it never has been just given away to "celebrities" as the last post states. Like most of the existing Orders of the world many international politicians and statesmen/woman are members. Princess Michael is the Senior Dame of the British and Irish delegation.

The queen sofia and infanta elena with the japanese order and the imperess with the spanish order.

To answer a previos question:

I believe the reason the children in the Greek RF have the highest Danish order (the Elephant) and Princess Benedikte's children don't is because any prince/princess born of Greece is automatically a prince/princess of Denmark as well. This is because a while ago, (forgive me if I'm wrong but it's been a while since I reviewed the history of all this) the Danish king was asked to rule Greece and so it in honor of this connection, all Greek princes/princesses are granted the titles of princes/princesses of Denmark as well.
Hope I helped:)

-Kathleen

Please don't think that this is morbid, but can a child of a royal inherit the sash of their parent when they expire? For instance, can HSH Prince Gustav wear his father's sash when he expires?

michelleq said:
Please don't think that this is morbid, but can a child of a royal inherit the sash of their parent when they expire? For instance, can HSH Prince Gustav wear his father's sash when he expires?
No. Every order or medal with their attributes are bestowed upon a person and cannot be passed on to someone else.

Alexandria said:
www.ibl.se - From the Queen Mum's funeral services, I guess Kings Harald (a cousin of QEII) of Norway and Juan Carlos of Spain have been given the British sash, but not King Carl Gustav.

that is very strange
does anyone know why carl gustaf did not wear a sach

Pictures from the recent Italian President's State Visit to Britain.

The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The President are wearing the sash of the Order of the Merit of the Republic, which is the most important Italian order. :)

Attachments

• State dinner 2.jpg
    State dinner 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 415
  • state dinner 3.jpg
    state dinner 3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 327
  • orders 2.jpg
    orders 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 324
Back
Top Bottom