Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown Princess Mathilde with a different order.

Attachments

• BM_mathilde_293.jpg
    BM_mathilde_293.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 233
And yet another sash for Mathilde.

Attachments

• BM_mathilde_303a.jpg
    BM_mathilde_303a.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 364
A litany of slashes during the Swedish state visit to Belgium.

Attachments

• BM_SW_104a.jpg
    BM_SW_104a.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 444
Could some-one give a 'precise' description of which countries the sashes come from, beginning with ??

Alexandria  Posted: Oct 12th, 2003 - 9:31 pm

Queen Beatrix with a different sash than the Dutch one.

I think I have learned that sashes come in fancy little boxes (see picture - colourpress.com).

Does that mean sashes are stored in the same boxes between events ?
I would have thought, it is easier to hang them up.

Attachments

• dk_sash_box_COLOUR10018244.jpeg
    dk_sash_box_COLOUR10018244.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 456
I have many questions... maybe you can answer them... okay... first...
It's my understanding that Prince Ernst isn't recognized by many royals as being a "royal" even though he would be King of Britain if Salic Law had prevailed... so he isn't even rcognized by his own "cousins" as a royal?? Am I right?? At the Queen Mum's funeral he didn't wear a sash... but Albert did...

Attachments

• queenmumfun.JPG
    queenmumfun.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 221
Nor did he at the Queen of Denmark's funeral...

Attachments

• queenmumdenmark2.JPG
    queenmumdenmark2.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 270
Nor did he wear one at the Monaco National Day like he usually does... but then later he did at the Opera for that National Day... I am SOOOOO CONFUSED

Attachments

• nosash2.JPG
    nosash2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 234
Opera that same night...

Attachments

• nationalday2.JPG
    nationalday2.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 374
It seems like in Monaco you can wear whatever whenever...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/69099040/69099572QCPBJu

At Alexandra and Joachim's wedding, Alexandra's father wore a white sash lined in red. As far as I could tell, her mother didn't wear one, but then neither did Margrethe; Joachim, Frederik, and Henrik, of course, all wore the customary light blue sash. (I do see a few occasions when men wear sashes and women seem not to - I suppose this was one of them.) At the time, I thought the RF just bestowed sashes upon non-royals so their tuxedos wouldn't look so plain, but perhaps not! Can anyone tell me about this colorless sash?

The sashes are so confusing that I doubt they even know which ones they should wear themselves!

Can't help thinking that it's not that the other royals perhaps see Ernst as "unroyal", but as "uncouth"? And, that he doesn't care in the least!

;)

Originally posted by kittencrews@Nov 26th, 2003 - 12:15 am
I have many questions... maybe you can answer them... okay... first...
It's my understanding that Prince Ernst isn't recognized by many royals as being a "royal" even though he would be King of Britain if Salic Law had prevailed... so he isn't even rcognized by his own "cousins" as a royal?? Am I right?? At the Queen Mum's funeral he didn't wear a sash... but Albert did...
That's because Albert wore uniform and he, like many of the men present, wore morning dress. one does not wear a sash with morning dress. And he is recognized by all of the royal houses as the head of the house of Hanover.

Originally posted by beebee@Nov 26th, 2003 - 1:41 am

At Alexandra and Joachim's wedding, Alexandra's father wore a white sash lined in red. As far as I could tell, her mother didn't wear one, but then neither did Margrethe; Joachim, Frederik, and Henrik, of course, all wore the customary light blue sash. (I do see a few occasions when men wear sashes and women seem not to - I suppose this was one of them.) At the time, I thought the RF just bestowed sashes upon non-royals so their tuxedos wouldn't look so plain, but perhaps not! Can anyone tell me about this colorless sash?
Sean has already answered this one - Queen Margrethe did wear the sash of the Order of the Elephant. The Danish royal family has the tradition of giving the Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark's 2nd Order) to parents-in-law of those who marry Danish Princes/Princesses. Thus Richard Manley wore the sash of the Order of the Dannebrog. I don't know why it was not given to his wife.
The Dowager Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, mother of Prince Richard (husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark) also has this Order. She wore it at the wedding of her granddaughter Pss Alexandra zu Sayn-W-Berleburg to Count Jefferson von Pfeil.

Originally posted by Torkel+Nov 26th, 2003 - 6:46 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Torkel @ Nov 26th, 2003 - 6:46 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-beebee@Nov 26th, 2003 - 1:41 am

At Alexandra and Joachim's wedding, Alexandra's father wore a white sash lined in red.  As far as I could tell, her mother didn't wear one, but then neither did Margrethe; Joachim, Frederik, and Henrik, of course, all wore the customary light blue sash.  (I do see a few occasions when men wear sashes and women seem not to - I suppose this was one of them.)  At the time, I thought the RF just bestowed sashes upon non-royals so their tuxedos wouldn't look so plain, but perhaps not!  Can anyone tell me about this colorless sash?
Sean has already answered this one - Queen Margrethe did wear the sash of the Order of the Elephant. The Danish royal family has the tradition of giving the Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark's 2nd Order) to parents-in-law of those who marry Danish Princes/Princesses. Thus Richard Manley wore the sash of the Order of the Dannebrog. I don't know why it was not given to his wife.
The Dowager Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, mother of Prince Richard (husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark) also has this Order. She wore it at the wedding of her granddaughter Pss Alexandra zu Sayn-W-Berleburg to Count Jefferson von Pfeil. [/b][/quote]
Interesting!! I haven't seen many photos of Richard Manley at formal events, so that's the only time I saw that particular style of sash. But I guess we'll be seeing the same sash on Professor Donaldson in May!

Is this just a Danish tradition then? The other royal families don't bestow them upon in-laws, do they?

Originally posted by norwegianne@Dec 17th, 2003 - 8:36 pm
Some links of various royal's and their orders/sashes.

A guide from Debrett's on what orders should be worn at what kind of occasion.

More about British honours

All I had the time for, at the moment.
It is important to note that these rules (from Debrett's) only applies to the wearing of Orders and Decorations in the United Kingdom. Many of the rules are similar in other countries also, but there are several major differences.

In the UK the rule is you only wear British decorations. If you attend an event to honour a guest from a foreign country you can wear any orders/decorations you might have received from that country. If you have no British decorations or no decorations from the country whose guest is present you do not wear decorations (even though you might have several decorations from other countries).

This is different in many of the other European countries. In Scandinavia you always wear orders/decorations from your own country to national events or if an event to honour a foreign guest orders/decorations from his/her country. However if you have no decorations from your own country and have not received any decorations from the visiting guest, you can wear whatever other orders/decorations you might have received.

Another difference is the fact that UK-citizens are normally not allowed to received foreign decorations. Those present during state visits receive orders as a formality, but if a country wishes to honour a British citizen "outside" a state visit he/she has to apply to the Central Chancery of the O of Knighthood to be allowed to receive it. This is also a tradition you do not find in other countries. A Norwegian citizen can receive any decoration he is given, the Norwegian state doesn't interfere.

Duchess of Brabant wear spanish order (Order of Isabella...)

Attachments

• Mathilde_hn__337_._2._sp..jpg
    Mathilde_hn__337_._2._sp..jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,203
Back
Top Bottom