The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Queen Letizia and Prince Philip are both wearing the sash of the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Charles III (Carlos III in Spanish). Can anyone identify Prince Philip's stars ? One of them should be the star of the Order of Charles III, but what about the other one (I can't see it in the picture) ? Also, which order is Philip wearing around his neck ? The Order of Merit perhaps ?
Prince Philip would be wearing the breast star or The Order of Charles III and his Garter star. It is hard to see in most of the photos but a bit easier is you watch a video of the Royal progression into the ballroom for the State Dinner.

Prince Charles wears his star of the Order of Charles III and his Garter star.

The Duke of Cambridge wears his Garter and Thistle stars.

Prince Harry wears his star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his star of the Royal Victorian Order.

You can also see a quick glimpse of The Duke of York wearing two stars - most likely the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his Garter star.

I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!!

EDIT - I stand corrected. In this better picture, you can see her Garter star further back round her waist.
This makes things right as I would not expect The PR to get something like this "wrong".

Here is a link is PP at a previous Spanish stare visit
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Here is [a new picture] of The Princess Royal at the Guildhall. EDIT - If you click on it to enlarge you can see both stars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	300654  

Old 07-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Is the Princess Royal the only one Lady who wears the Garter sash ?
before her Princess Margaret ? the former Princess Royal ??
Never Kent or Gloucester Princesses ?
For members of her family, HM seems to favour the Garter for only direct members of the family (i.e. of the Blood Royal) rather than those who have married into the British Royal family (such as the Duchesses of Gloucester, Kent and the Countess of Wessex) who usually progress through the ranks of The Royal Victorian Order instead.

I do not know if this is her preference or tradition. Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) we Ladies of the Garter but only due to their elevation to consort.

Neither Princess Mary, Princess Royal (daughter of King George V and Queen Mary) or HM's sister Princess Margaret were Ladies of the Garter.

Princess (Queen) Beatrix and Queen Margrethe of Denmark are current Stranger Ladies of the Garter.

There is currently only one non-royal Lady of the Garter,
Elizabeth Lydia "Eliza" Manningham-Buller, Baroness Manningham-Buller.

The late Mary Soames, Baroness Soames (youngest child of Winston Churchill ) and Margaret Thatcher were also Ladies of the Garter.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Order of Merit is around his neck and the stars would be British Empire and Thistle?

Does he not wear his Garter star with a foreign order?
Dear Rudolph

You are correct that Prince Philip wore the Order of Merit as a neck badge but I think that the stars being worn were the Order of Charles III and his Garter Star.