The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The simple answer is: she has no possibility to wear it. At State Visits Princess Claire will always wear the Order she has been given by the guest. On his turn the guest will wear the Order he/she has been given from the Belgian King.

The Belgians simply do not know events like in other monarchies where the own Order can be worn by ladies in long. For an example the northern neighbours have the annual Prinsjesdag (picture) or had the King's Investiture in 2013 which saw the Dutch royals wearing their Dutch Orders indeed (picture).
On a state visit, the guest is likely to award a foreign order to the King and maybe to his heir, but not to the wife of the King's youngest son. In that case, since she doesn't have a foreign order of her own, Princess Claire would wear the highest Belgian order she has. That should also have been the case at Victoria's wedding as Claire apparently has never received a Swedish order.

In other words, the only plausible explanation for Claire not wearing the Order of Leopold at Victoria's wedding or the Finnish State Visit is that she somehow didn't want to wear it.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Paola was the first to receive the Sash of the Order of Leopold the belgian highest Order. She never wore it. She wore foreign Sashes

Queen Mathilde is the first Queen to wear it of her first official Portrait.

Princesses Astrid and Claire don't have the Order.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
That doesn't answer anything and it's wrong. No, she doesn't have many opportunities to wear it, but she has and she doesn't or she wears it wrong. In 2008, she wore the sash but not the badge. Which doesn't make sense because she's worn her other orders correctly (though I have a slight problem with her sash wearing).

She's had at least 3 opportunities to wear the Belgian order and she hasn't. It's confusing to me.
Quite right, according to my count she attended the pre-wedding and wedding of Fred and Mary in 2004 and the wedding of Victoria and Daniel in 2010 without wearing the order. At the 2010 wedding she definitely already had her order, because she wore it two years ago in 2008. What is also strange is, that she also did not wear a tiara at the 2008 State Visit. It looks a bit as if she donned the sash in order to make up for the missing tiara.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Tilia, could you provide a picture of Princess Claire wearing the Leopold Order ?
It is such a long time we did not have State Visits, that I don't remember.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Tilia, could you provide a picture of Princess Claire wearing the Leopold Order ?
It is such a long time we did not have State Visits, that I don't remember.
Is this the Order of Leopold on Princess Claire?

http://36.media.tumblr.com/f70bc00d1...jme9o1_400.jpg
Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here you are, maria-olivia. I can't make out the order pendant 100%, that it is the order of Leopold. There aren't many orders with that colour of the sash.
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Edit: You beat me, An Ard Ri!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Some posts about Princess Claire's tiaras have been moved to her jewels thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f221/post-by-tilia-c-thread-sashes-39459.html
Old 11-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

When a foreign guest does not grant an Order to Princess Claire, that does not mean she is obliged to wear one from her own country. When Princess Claire did attend a foreign royal wedding and she had no Order of that country, maybe her own preference was not to wear a Belgian Order either. It is always optional, never an obligation, to wear Orders.

Princess Astrid does regularly wear her Belgian Order because she often wears an uniform. See picture.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

This depends on their State Visits.
For the Royal wedding in Sweden Queen Mathilde did not have the Serafim Order.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Then Princess Mathilde received the Order of the Polar Star at the Swedish SV in 2001. She wore this order at the Swedish wedding. But now that she is Queen, she will certainly receive the Serafim Order at the next State Visit.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I found these 2 photos of Princess Claire wearing orders

http://36.media.tumblr.com/9b2b4f036...vyuko5_250.jpg

Prince Laurent & Princess Claire Of Belgium Attends A State Banquet... News Photo | Getty Images
Old 11-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but I believe it was about Princess Claire not wearing Belgian Orders.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

The second pic is from the Norwegian visit. Do you know which Norwegian order has this blue ribbon?

The blue, white and black order of the other pic must be from Portugal, as the pic is from the Portugese visit in 2005.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The second pic is from the Norwegian visit. Do you know which Norwegian order has this blue ribbon?

The blue, white and black order of the other pic must be from Portugal, as the pic is from the Portugese visit in 2005.
It must be the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit which was bestowed on in May 2003 as per Wikipedia.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
It must be the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit which was bestowed on in May 2003 as per Wikipedia.
Yes the sahs of the norwegian order of Merit is blue. At the annual opening of the Storting the King and the Corwn prince always wear this sash and the Collar of the Order of St. Olav.
Usually the Order of Merit is given to the spouses of Presidents.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Great Thanks for Princess Claire's pictures wearing Sashes. I forgot it.

The most important Order is our Leopold Order , Civil and Military.
Princess Astrid on Duke's pisture wore the mlitary Sash.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I tried to read this thread and got headache. So complicated for me. What really interested to know is that every monarchy which is the most important Order they have. For belgium I read above is Leopold Order. For others? You maybe give me if there's a link to see it.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I tried to read this thread and got headache. So complicated for me. What really interested to know is that every monarchy which is the most important Order they have. For belgium I read above is Leopold Order. For others? You maybe give me if there's a link to see it.
The Spanish Wikipedia has a list with the highest orders awarded in several countries (both monarchies and republics).

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orden_...inci%C3%B3n%29
Old 11-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Orders are so important because they are honorific.

Spanish Wiki forgot Belgium.

In my country Belgium , we have 3 orders the Leopold order (mauve) , the Crown Order (red) and the Order of Leopold II (blue).
Old 11-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The Netherlands

STATE ORDERS

De Militaire Willems-Orde (highest Order, only for military) - see picture (WA)

De Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw
(second highest Order) - see picture (WA & Máxima)

De Orde van Oranje-Nassau (third highest Order) - see picture (Philippe & Mathilde)

--------

HOUSE ORDERS

De Huisorde van de Gouden Leeuw van Nassau (the dynastical Order of the two Houses of Nassau) - see picture (Henri & María Teresa & Guillaume)

De Huisorde van Oranje (the dynastical Order of the House Orange) - see picture (Laurentien)

De Kroonorde (Huisorde van Oranje)
(the dynastical Order of the House Orange - for foreigners) - see picture (The Prince of Wales)*

-------

* The Prince of Wales has a Dutch State Order (Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Orange-Nassau) but decided to wear this Dynastical Order at the Investiture. The Prince of Orange did the same in Luxembourg. Instead of wearing the highest Order of that country (which is also the highest dynastical Order in his own House of Orange-Nassau) he wore the lower Order of the Oak Crown which was once vested by his ancestor King Willem II of the Netherlands as Grand Duke of Luxembourg: see picture. So royals can have personal choices for not always wearing the very highest Order, as Charles and Willem-Alexander showed.