Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the only colour picture of King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie wearing sashes I could find in my collection. Every other picture of them wearing sashes is black and white. :(

Attachments

• GK_constantine_anne_marie_engage_100.jpg
    GK_constantine_anne_marie_engage_100.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,015
www.polfoto.dk - Queen Anne Marie and her son Prince Nikolaos at her sister Queen Margrethe's 60th birthday festivities in Denmark wearing the Danish sash. It looks like Prince Nikolaos has one, too.

Attachments

• DK_margrethe_60_133a.jpg
    DK_margrethe_60_133a.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 973
www.polfoto.dk - Princess Alexia of Greece with her sash, and her husband Carlos Morales with none. :(

Attachments

• DK_margrethe_60_134.jpg
    DK_margrethe_60_134.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 660
www.polfoto.dk - Jordanian state visit to Denmark.

What sash is Crown Prince Frederik wearing in this picture? It looks different from the Jordanian sashes worn by King Abdullah, Queen Rania, King Hussein and Queen Noor in my previous posts.

Attachments

• DK_JR_101.jpg
    DK_JR_101.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 577
Alexandria 
Posted: Sep 28th, 2003 - 8:44 pm

This is the only colour picture of King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie wearing sashes I could find in my collection. Every other picture of them wearing sashes is black and white.
King Constantine reigned for .... what was it ... 2 years? From the 'age', this might have been taken at that time?

Would love to see pics of black and white (mourning?).

The Japanese sash - although it looks like the Emperor and Emperess are wearing two different sashes. :blink:

Attachments

• JP_akihito_michiko_100.jpg
    JP_akihito_michiko_100.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,003
:flower: Could it be said that the Royal Ladies Closets have a separate compartment for all those sashes? :wacko: :flower:

www.ibl.se - The Grand Duke of Luxembourg and his son the Hereditary Grand Duke.

Attachments

• LX_family_106c.jpg
    LX_family_106c.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,014
From the Vanity Fair Royals issue, this must be the Italian royals sash.

Attachments

• Vanity_Fair_Emmanuel_100.jpg
    Vanity_Fair_Emmanuel_100.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 770
www.ibl.se - Is the sash Ernst is wearing one from the house of Hanover?

Attachments

• MO_caroline_ernst_100.jpg
    MO_caroline_ernst_100.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,790
www.polfoto.dk - Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece and his wife Marie-Chantal at his maternal cousin Alexandra of Berleberg's wedding in Denmark.

Attachments

• DK_alexandra_jefferson_wedding_142.jpg
    DK_alexandra_jefferson_wedding_142.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 634
This is what I deduce so far:
Light blue - Danish
Light blue - Swedish?
Purple - Belgium
Maroon - Jordan (and Belgium?)
Gold - Luxembourg
Gold blue gold - the Netherlands
? - Norway
Red white red - Monaco
Yellow? - Spain
Blue red blue - House of Hannover?
Green ? - Italian
? - Japan

I think there might be different sashes for different occasions? :yuk:

Being that there seems to be so many from SPAIN, can someone help with an explaination of what they all stand for or mean? It would be awesome to know more... Pics would be cool too. I dont know anything and sashes totally get my attention, so anything from anyone would help. Please... Thank You for starting this wonderful topic.

Chanel

Originally posted by chanel@Sep 29th, 2003 - 4:24 am
Being that there seems to be so many from SPAIN, can someone help with an explaination of what they all stand for or mean? It would be awesome to know more... Pics would be cool too. I dont know anything and sashes totally get my attention, so anything from anyone would help. Please... Thank You for starting this wonderful topic.

Chanel
Are you sure that they were the Spanish sashes and not an other country sashes

Honestly Josephine, they are probably from other countries no doubt, I am just confused because at different funtions for the SRF Felipe and Juan Carlos seem to wear different colored sashes. I do know that there are a few in Spain. There is most defanitly the sash for Spain (which other royals sometimes wear), there is the Golden Fleece, there is a sash for Isabella la Catlica, there is the Order of Maria-Louisa (highest order in the SRF for wemon) which is in three or four different colors. There is the order of Carlos III.

To the Order of the Golden Fleece
fleece3.jpg

To the Royal Military Order of San Hermenegildo

To the Illustrious Royal Order of Charles III
chas3dec.jpg

To the Royal Order of Maria Luisa
marialu.jpg

To the Royal (American) Order of Isabella the Catholic
isblctgc.jpg

Photos from: Link

There are others but, I dont have photos or info on them, so not most of them are from other countries except for the sashes. There are a few orders from the RF itself. Can anyone else help?

chanel 
Posted: Sep 29th, 2003 - 11:47 am

... the sash for Spain (which other royals sometimes wear), there is the Golden Fleece, there is a sash for Isabella la Catlica, there is the Order of Maria-Louisa (highest order in the SRF for wemon) which is in three or four different colors. There is the order of Carlos III.

haakon2 
Posted: Sep 28th, 2003 - 8:36 pm

updated?? ....sashes worn by the spanish RF

1) yellow with red edges, same colours as their flag - national ?
2) blue with edges being white edge, blue, and white - Order of Charles III ?
3) light purple with white edges. - Royal Order of Maria Luisa ?
4) neon blue
5) yellow - national ?
6) green
7) red edged with blue edge and white. - Order of Golden Fleece ?
8) ? - Order of Isabella the Catholic

I have no clue ... maybe the solution comes after a bit more confusion :innocent: :sick:

We have gotten some help from people at the Glittering Royal Events Message Board

Torkel said
Most sashes are worn from right to left. A very few are worn the other way around (left to right), these include the British Order of the Garter and the Danish Order of the Elephant.
Which way to wear a sash is specified in said decoration's statutes (which I guess most people get together with the actual decoration).
There are, however, famous examples of royals wearing their sashes the wrong way (including Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg at the 2001 Norwegian royal wedding).

Sashes worn with uniform are always worn over the shoulder. When worn with white-tie I think one can choose whether to wear it over the shoulder or under the arm-pit. It is also a matter of tradition in different countries.

In most countries one does not wear the collar and sash of the same order together (this includes the UK, the Nordic countries and Be-Ne-Lux). There are some exceptions (the Spanish Order of King Carlos III is among those I think), but this is also specified in the statutes of the order.

Decorations are normally not worn with less formal clothing (black-tie, suite-and tie etc), but there are exceptions here too.

henri m gave us this
Every country has its own sashes and some countries wear them over the left shoulder while other swear them over the right shoulder.
Also in some countries it is the use that gentlemen wear sashes under their armpits while wearing cravate blanc. While wearing uniform the sash is always over the shoulder.

While wearing cravate noire, a jacquet and a normal tie, a sash is usually not worn.

Originally posted by Josefine@Sep 28th, 2003 - 7:56 pm
I'm trying to look for the British sash but with no luck
i found a picture

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 570
Josefine  Posted on Sep 29th, 2003 - 2:39 pm

We have gotten some help from people at the Glittering Royal Events Message Board

Thank you Josefine.

Personally, I think the British sash colour looks more favourable than the pallid blue of Denmark and Scandinavia. That Spanish sash which is white purple white is hardly what I can appealing.

Another sash .....
from Sweden.

My compliments to Josefine,

According to the picture (below) that she showed on Glittering Royal Events Message Board, the answers came back as:

Torgel
King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia and Prince Bertil are all wearing the highest Swedish decoration, the Royal Order of the Seraphim (light blue).

Princess Lilian is wearing the second highest Swedish Order, the Royal Order of the North Star, which she received when she married. It has a dark blue sash with yellow edges.
Sean
She is wearing the order of the Royal Order of the Northern Star, Sweden's 2nd order. "The Order may be awarded to Swedes and to foreigners for civilian services, official and Civil Service activities".

.... Torgel goes on to say
The Princess received the higher Order of the Seraphim in connection with her 80th birthday in 1995, and thus wears this order in recent pictures.

Wow. I just find this simply astounding.
I suppose this means EVERY country has various orders .... you ladies willing to dig around some more?

Best regards,
Haakon2

ps and here's the picture compliments of Josefine ...

Attachments

• ry_se_lilian_post_23_1064861758.jpeg
    ry_se_lilian_post_23_1064861758.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,830
www.corbis.com - Some different sashes worn by Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip and the late Queen Mum.

Attachments

• EN_family_176.jpg
    EN_family_176.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 733
www.corbis.com - Danish born Brigitte, Duchess of Gloucester with a different sash altogether. (Does she have a Danish sash, too?)

Attachments

• EN_gloucester_123.jpg
    EN_gloucester_123.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 803
Josefine 
Posted: Sep 28th, 2003 - 3:27 pm

this is Finlands Sash, worn by Victoria
and the (Finnish??) gentleman standing beside her looks to be wearing the "second highest Swedish Order, the Royal Order of the North Star".

I think the royals, when they visit another country wear each other's sashes as a sign of honour.

Thanks ladies for your enthusiasm !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haakon2

www.ibl.se - From the Queen Mum's funeral services, I guess Kings Harald (a cousin of QEII) of Norway and Juan Carlos of Spain have been given the British sash, but not King Carl Gustav.

Attachments

• EN_mum_death_110.jpg
    EN_mum_death_110.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,778
Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 29th, 2003 - 3:44 pm
Personally, I think the British sash colour looks more favourable than the pallid blue of Denmark and Scandinavia. That Spanish sash which is white purple white is hardly what I can appealing.
Certainly the royal blue of the British sash stands out with the traditional dark uniforms.

This is a most impressive picture from the Queen Mum's funeral services.

Attachments

• EN_mum_funeral_108.jpg
    EN_mum_funeral_108.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,862
www.corbis.com - Spanish state visit to Belgium. What sash has King Albert got on here? It doesn't look like the previous Spanish sashes shown here, although King Juan Carlos is wearing the Belgian sash. And is Princess Astrid's husband Lorentz wearing an Austrian sash?

Attachments

• BM_SP_104.jpg
    BM_SP_104.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 533
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom