The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is the Princess of Wales wearing her own sash in 1982 at Hampton Court.
Diana, Princess of Wales

Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
Here is the Princess of Wales wearing her own sash in 1982 at Hampton Court.
Diana, Princess of Wales
I can't figure what sash is Diana wear in that pic. Is that Japanese?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
I can't figure what sash is Diana wear in that pic. Is that Japanese?
It's not the Japanese Order of Precious Crown i think. It's in fact one of the Order from the Netherlands when Queen Beatrix paid a State Visit to England in 1982. It could be either the Order of the Crown or the Order of William, i'm unsure, maybe one of our Dutch members can firgue out.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Don't know if this has been asked before but here goes...Does it matter if the sash is worn draped left or right?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
It's not the Japanese Order of Precious Crown i think. It's in fact one of the Order from the Netherlands when Queen Beatrix paid a State Visit to England in 1982. It could be either the Order of the Crown or the Order of William, i'm unsure, maybe one of our Dutch members can firgue out.
It's the Crown Order. It was bestowed upon Diana during Beatrix's visit to the UK in the 1980s. I believe it was the only order Diana ever received. The Order of William is seldom bestowed, and if it was bestowed upon a royal, it would most likely be a monarch. The Dutch orders are as follows:

The Order of William: orange sash with blue stripes
The Order of the Dutch Lion: blue sash with orange stripes
The Order of Oranje-Nassau: orange sash with white stripes and blue edging
The Order of the Oak Crown: orange and green striped sash (2 orange, 3 green)
The Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau: gold yellow sash with blue edging
The Family Order of Orange: solid orange sash
The Crown Order: orange sash with red, white, and blue stripes

The Order of the Oak Crown and the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau are also Luxembourg orders.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Don't know if this has been asked before but here goes...Does it matter if the sash is worn draped left or right?

Thanks.

It does if the sash is meant to be worn a certain way. For example, the Order of the Elephant (Danish) is worn from right shoulder to left hip. The Order of the Garter (British) is worn from left shoulder to right hip.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct88
The Order of William: orange sash with blue stripes
The Order of the Dutch Lion: blue sash with orange stripes
The Order of Oranje-Nassau: orange sash with white stripes and blue edging
The Order of the Oak Crown: orange and green striped sash (2 orange, 3 green)
The Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau: gold yellow sash with blue edging
The Family Order of Orange: solid orange sash
The Crown Order: orange sash with red, white, and blue stripes
Thanks, bct88. But i got a question that as the Order of William is the highest Order, but when at Prince's Day in September for example, the Royals always wear the Order of Dutch Lion. I only see Q.Beatrix wears the Order of William on her Coronation, but the rest even in official photos, she wears the Dutch Lion Order.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Order of William is only awarded for bravery in battle and it's very rarely awarded. The Grand Cross could also be awarded as an exceptional presentation to heads of state which had displayed feats of loyalty to The Netherlands during wartime. As the Queen is the "head" of the military, it would make sense that she wore it during her installation as Queen, but not during any other times.

The Order of the Dutch Lion is awarded to the Royal Family, foreign heads of state and a select group of prime ministers.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-25-2007, 04:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
It does if the sash is meant to be worn a certain way. For example, the Order of the Elephant (Danish) is worn from right shoulder to left hip. The Order of the Garter (British) is worn from left shoulder to right hip.
Thanks, Sister Morphine. I had no idea. I think more slashes are worn from the wearer's right shoulder to left rip. At least that is what I have seen in pics.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Administrator

To confuse the "which way?" issue further, the same sash can be worn across the shoulder, under the arm, and sort of half-way between armpit and waist. Even at some formal functions you can see see identical sashes being worn at different angles, especially with the men in their dinner jackets.

Here's an example, from King Harald's 70th birthday earlier this year: Sashes.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 AM
Royal Highness

Geez Warren! Why did you have to confuse me even more. You know that I'm a novice at this. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
The sashes are mainly worn from the (when facing the person) left shoulder down to the right hip. But, if you have the same coloured sash as another country (ie. Denmark & Sweden), then it changes. For example, at the King of Sweden's 60th Birthday celebrations, CP Mary of Denmark wore her Danish sash over her right shoulder connecting at her left hip, because the Swedish royal were wearing their order over their left shoulder down to their right hip. However, if an event was held in Denmark and the Swedish royal family were there, for example CP Frederik & CP Mary's wedding in 2004, Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine (not sure about CP Victoria) of Sweden wore their light blue Swedish sashes over their left shoulder down to their right hip because they were in Denmark.
Not quite right: The (swedish) Order of the Seraphim is worn from the person's right shoulder to her left hip. But the (danish) Order of the Elephant is worn the other way, meaning from the person's left shoulder to her right hip. Each order has rules concerning how and when it is to be worn. Those do not change. Especially not because another country's order is the same colour.

Considering that (1.) Victoria has both sashes, (2.) Carl Philip & Madeleine have not the danish, but only their swedish sash and (3.) Mary has only her danish sash, but not the swedish one, the picture was as you described last year and 3 years ago: In Sweden Victoria & her siblings wore their Seraphim orders because the festivities were in Sweden and Mary wore her Elephant order. In Denmark 3 years ago Victoria wore the danish Order of the Elephant (which she had already been given) while her siblings wore their Seraphims.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Sashes

The sashes are linked to various Orders, such as the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit (England). Each country has different orders and each have different awards, stars and sashes. Some of the Princes probably belong to military Orders and may possibly wear the sash as a cumber band around the waist.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk493 View Post
The sashes are linked to various Orders, such as the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit (England). Each country has different orders and each have different awards, stars and sashes. Some of the Princes probably belong to military Orders and may possibly wear the sash as a cumber band around the waist.

Under absolutly no circumstances is a Sash of an Order ever, ever worn as a cumberbund, not in the UK, Denmark or Timbucktoo for that matter!!!

God Save The Queen!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 PM

was more of a speculative statement. But point taken.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Aristocracy

Can anyone tell me why Crown Princess Mary was the only one who was putting her sash on her left shoulder in this photo ?http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8...enapril4vq.jpg , and why all the royals in the next photo are putting the Norwegian sash except for Crown Princess Maxima, who was putting the Dutch sash? http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ary/Scale2.jpg . Thank you in advance
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Aristocracy

Crown Princess Mary is wearing the Order of the Elephant, and the other are wearing the Swedish (the Seraphim, I think).
Princess Maxima has probably not received a Norwegian order at that time, that's why she's wearing her Dutch order.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Both are correct. In the first picture, Mary is wearing the Order of the Elephant. It's over her left shoulder because that is how the Elephant is worn, the others are worn over the right shoulder. The other light blue ones, worn by Victoria and Madeleine, are the Order of the Seraphim. Mathilde and Mette-Marit are wearing the second highest Swedish order (Order of the Polar Star?), while Máxima is wearing the Dutch order.

In the second picture, Máxima is the only one not wearing the Order of St Olav (highest Norwegian order) because since her time as Princess of the Netherlands (2002 to present) there has not been a state visit to or from Norway for her to receive the order
Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you JessRulz and Andrew for the information. Now my question is on the Order of the Elephant itself, why the sign of an Elephant was chosen? I can hardly imagine an elephant in Denmark, does it symbolize something in Denmark? for example an owl is a sign of wisdom, and the elephant is a sign of....maybe ..elephants never forget.....Forgive me, I was just joking, but I'm not joking about wanting to know the answer. Thank you in advance
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

This is what it says regarding the Elephant on the Danish Orders of Chivalry part of their website:
Quote:
The explanation for the elephant as the symbol of the Order is most likely that a warrior elephant was used as a symbol for the defenders of Christianity who were incensed at the sight of Christ’s blood. At the same time the elephant symbolised purity and chastity.