Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The simple answer is: she has no possibility to wear it. At State Visits Princess Claire will always wear the Order she has been given by the guest. On his turn the guest will wear the Order he/she has been given from the Belgian King.

The Belgians simply do not know events like in other monarchies where the own Order can be worn by ladies in long. For an example the northern neighbours have the annual Prinsjesdag (picture) or had the King's Investiture in 2013 which saw the Dutch royals wearing their Dutch Orders indeed (picture).

On a state visit, the guest is likely to award a foreign order to the King and maybe to his heir, but not to the wife of the King's youngest son. In that case, since she doesn't have a foreign order of her own, Princess Claire would wear the highest Belgian order she has. That should also have been the case at Victoria's wedding as Claire apparently has never received a Swedish order.

In other words, the only plausible explanation for Claire not wearing the Order of Leopold at Victoria's wedding or the Finnish State Visit is that she somehow didn't want to wear it.

Last edited:
Queen Paola was the first to receive the Sash of the Order of Leopold the belgian highest Order. She never wore it. She wore foreign Sashes

Queen Mathilde is the first Queen to wear it of her first official Portrait.

Princesses Astrid and Claire don't have the Order.

That doesn't answer anything and it's wrong. No, she doesn't have many opportunities to wear it, but she has and she doesn't or she wears it wrong. In 2008, she wore the sash but not the badge. Which doesn't make sense because she's worn her other orders correctly (though I have a slight problem with her sash wearing).

She's had at least 3 opportunities to wear the Belgian order and she hasn't. It's confusing to me.
Quite right, according to my count she attended the pre-wedding and wedding of Fred and Mary in 2004 and the wedding of Victoria and Daniel in 2010 without wearing the order. At the 2010 wedding she definitely already had her order, because she wore it two years ago in 2008. What is also strange is, that she also did not wear a tiara at the 2008 State Visit. It looks a bit as if she donned the sash in order to make up for the missing tiara.:eek::p

Tilia, could you provide a picture of Princess Claire wearing the Leopold Order ?
It is such a long time we did not have State Visits, that I don't remember.

:previous: Here you are, maria-olivia.:flowers: I can't make out the order pendant 100%, that it is the order of Leopold. There aren't many orders with that colour of the sash.
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Edit: You beat me, An Ard Ri! :flowers:

When a foreign guest does not grant an Order to Princess Claire, that does not mean she is obliged to wear one from her own country. When Princess Claire did attend a foreign royal wedding and she had no Order of that country, maybe her own preference was not to wear a Belgian Order either. It is always optional, never an obligation, to wear Orders.

Princess Astrid does regularly wear her Belgian Order because she often wears an uniform. See picture.

This depends on their State Visits.
For the Royal wedding in Sweden Queen Mathilde did not have the Serafim Order.

Then Princess Mathilde received the Order of the Polar Star at the Swedish SV in 2001. She wore this order at the Swedish wedding. But now that she is Queen, she will certainly receive the Serafim Order at the next State Visit.

The second pic is from the Norwegian visit. Do you know which Norwegian order has this blue ribbon?

The blue, white and black order of the other pic must be from Portugal, as the pic is from the Portugese visit in 2005.

The second pic is from the Norwegian visit. Do you know which Norwegian order has this blue ribbon?

The blue, white and black order of the other pic must be from Portugal, as the pic is from the Portugese visit in 2005.

It must be the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit which was bestowed on in May 2003 as per Wikipedia.

It must be the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit which was bestowed on in May 2003 as per Wikipedia.

Yes the sahs of the norwegian order of Merit is blue. At the annual opening of the Storting the King and the Corwn prince always wear this sash and the Collar of the Order of St. Olav.
Usually the Order of Merit is given to the spouses of Presidents.

Great Thanks for Princess Claire's pictures wearing Sashes. I forgot it.

The most important Order is our Leopold Order , Civil and Military.
Princess Astrid on Duke's pisture wore the mlitary Sash.

I tried to read this thread and got headache. So complicated for me. What really interested to know is that every monarchy which is the most important Order they have. For belgium I read above is Leopold Order. For others? You maybe give me if there's a link to see it.

Thank you all. Finally it is very interesting. Although not finished reading yet I want to say something that it impressed me though most will know it. The English Order of the Garter have all current and former kings but has not taken King Albert of Belgium. Strange unless not happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to read this thread and got headache. So complicated for me. What really interested to know is that every monarchy which is the most important Order they have. For belgium I read above is Leopold Order. For others? You maybe give me if there's a link to see it.

The Spanish Wikipedia has a list with the highest orders awarded in several countries (both monarchies and republics).

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orden_%28distinci%C3%B3n%29

Reactions: eya
Orders are so important because they are honorific.

Spanish Wiki forgot Belgium.

In my country Belgium , we have 3 orders the Leopold order (mauve) , the Crown Order (red) and the Order of Leopold II (blue).

The Netherlands

STATE ORDERS

De Militaire Willems-Orde (highest Order, only for military) - see picture (WA)

De Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw
(second highest Order) - see picture (WA & Máxima)

De Orde van Oranje-Nassau (third highest Order) - see picture (Philippe & Mathilde)

--------

HOUSE ORDERS

De Huisorde van de Gouden Leeuw van Nassau (the dynastical Order of the two Houses of Nassau) - see picture (Henri & María Teresa & Guillaume)

De Huisorde van Oranje (the dynastical Order of the House Orange) - see picture (Laurentien)

De Kroonorde (Huisorde van Oranje)
(the dynastical Order of the House Orange - for foreigners) - see picture (The Prince of Wales)*

-------

* The Prince of Wales has a Dutch State Order (Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Orange-Nassau) but decided to wear this Dynastical Order at the Investiture. The Prince of Orange did the same in Luxembourg. Instead of wearing the highest Order of that country (which is also the highest dynastical Order in his own House of Orange-Nassau) he wore the lower Order of the Oak Crown which was once vested by his ancestor King Willem II of the Netherlands as Grand Duke of Luxembourg: see picture. So royals can have personal choices for not always wearing the very highest Order, as Charles and Willem-Alexander showed.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Finally it is very interesting. Although not finished reading yet I want to say something that it impressed me though most will know it. The English Order of the Garter have all current and former kings but has not taken King Albert of Belgium. Strange unless not happened.

the reason that King Albert II. has not received the order of the Garter is that there ws not State Visit between the 2 country during his reign. Neither a british State Visit to the UK and also no british State Visit to Belgium. But he has the Royal Victorian Order.

the reason that King Albert II. has not received the order of the Garter is that there ws not State Visit between the 2 country during his reign. Neither a british State Visit to the UK and also no british State Visit to Belgium. But he has the Royal Victorian Order.

Now explained. I know that is irrelevant for this Thread but because mention when was the last state official visit between the two countries?

Now explained. I know that is irrelevant for this Thread but because mention when was the last state official visit between the two countries?

King Baudouin paid a state visit to Britain in 1963 and Queen Elizabeth II paid a state visit to Belgium in 1966. King Baudouin was a Stranger Knight of the Order of the Garter.

Did the late Queen Fabiola ever wear any orders?

I can't ever recall seeing any photos.

Did the late Queen Fabiola ever wear any orders?

I can't ever recall seeing any photos.

One possible reason is that, besides the Belgian order of Leopold, Queen Fabiola was awarded foreign orders only from Spain, Portugal, and the Holy See, which is somewhat surprising given the amount of time she was queen consort. Does anyone know why that was the case ?

Queen Fabiola never wore Sashes.

She wore only her Pro Ecesia et Pontifice Decoration when She was in Rome.

Queen Fabiola never wore Sashes.

She wore only her Pro Ecesia et Pontifice Decoration when She was in Rome.

Thanks, Maria Olivia. Was she against wearing orders for some (maybe religious) reason and systematically declined them ? I am asking because King Baudouin made lots of state visits during his reign while he was married to Fabiola, including to countries like the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Luxembourg, etc. I don't understand why Fabiola was never given orders from those countries then.

It is not known if she refused the Order or refused to wear Orders.

They did such a lot State Visits.

On the contrary, Queen Paola is the first Queen who wore Sashes but never our Leopold order.

On the contrary , on her first Official Picture Queen Mathilde wore the Sash of the Leopold Order.

This is indeed a mystery that Queen Fabiola has not Orders or at least have them alone. With her husband she went on several official visits. I seem strange not to have offered or the same to not accepted them. Mystery.

I have read somewhere that Queen Fabiola did not wear worldly orders for religious reasons. She only wore the order from the vatican because it was an order from the catholic church. But I don't know if there is a hard source for this reasoning, or if it is just something that people have deducted because of the way she wore orders.

Back
Top Bottom