Orders & Sashes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Hungary they wear GC of the Order of the Merit of the Hungarian Republic.

:previous:
See this post from the Italian State Visit in 2005.
From this site it appears to be the Sash and Decorations of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.

Does anybody have photos of the Order of the Thistle sash? I can't seem to find any member of the British Royal Family wearing it.

Prince Philip wears it almost every time at the opening of the parliament.
Princess Anne has worn it at the 70th birthday celebrations of king Harald in Oslo.

The sashes of Denmark and Sweden are of the same colour, but they are two different orders. The Danish order of the elephant is one of the eldest in the world( mid-sixteen hundreds) and the Swedish order of the Serafim is investet after the first Bernadotte took the throne of sweden in late 17 hundreds. If you look at the pictures they are worn in diff directions.

The norm is, that when you make a state visit to another country as head of state, you will receive the finest order of the country. If your host has been to your country the person will wear your finest order in respect. Sometimes other familymembers can have foreign orders ie crownprinses and crownprincesses as well, and they to will wear the visitors order.

Look fx at royal weddings, if you have an order from the country in question, you will wear it. If not you will wear the finest one of your own country. Again as a matter of respect.

This is why we see different royals wearing "each others" sashes

He's not wearing the sash though. I'll look up King Harald's birthday party and see if I can find the picture of Princess Anne wearing it.
Found it, finally! Its a lovely colour actually. It should be worn more often.

Madde finast i kungens sal | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would they wear the Thistle instead of the Garter sash? Shouldn't it only have precedence in Scotland as the Garter is the more senior order nationwide?

HRH the Princess Royal wore the Order of the Thistle in honour (recognition) of King Olav of Norway, who was created the first foreign Knight of the order in 1962 by statute.

The sashes of Denmark and Sweden are of the same colour, but they are two different orders. The Danish order of the elephant is one of the eldest in the world( mid-sixteen hundreds) and the Swedish order of the Serafim is investet after the first Bernadotte took the throne of sweden in late 17 hundreds. If you look at the pictures they are worn in diff directions.

The Swedish Serafimerorden was invested in 1748 by King Fredrik I. Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was elected crown prince in May 1810 and arrived in Sweden in October same year. He became King Carl XIV Johan in 1818.

Nothing to do with the Bernadottes at all.

Dear Thomasine,
I stand corrected. You are so right.

He's not wearing the sash though. I'll look up King Harald's birthday party and see if I can find the picture of Princess Anne wearing it.
Found it, finally! Its a lovely colour actually. It should be worn more often.

Madde finast i kungens sal | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

If you look very closely at the picture i posted, Prince Phillip is wearing the green sash of the Order of The Thistle. Exactly as Princess Anne is in the picture you posted. :)

what does it mean? How many type it has
RM mean royal member. I saw that the men and women wear different color and width sash. does it different type sash for different people?

Last edited by a moderator:
How to decide which sash to wear

Does anyone know how the protocol decides which order/sash the Queen wears when receiving a state visit?

Each country has their own sash, so if it's the Swedish RF on a state visit, then HM will wear the sash from that country. I believe. If there is no sash, she might wear one of her own.

There's a thread about the different sashes

Last edited:
Thanks for answering, but in the 'sashes thread' (#302 for example), people seem to think the opposite -that the visiting guests are choosing sashes depending on which country they are visiting. How is it then that the Queen (Elizabeth II) seems to wear different sashes when receiving different state visits? I'm very confused.

But, if you have the same coloured sash as another country (ie. Denmark & Sweden), then it changes. For example, at the King of Sweden's 60th Birthday celebrations, CP Mary of Denmark wore her Danish sash over her right shoulder connecting at her left hip, because the Swedish royal were wearing their order over their left shoulder down to their right hip.

Mary was wearing her sash as always from left shoulder to right hip and not other way round. And that is the only correct way to wear it ;)
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/May2006/06043081.jpg

Also the Website of the Danish Royal family only mentions wearing the Order of the Elephant over the left shoulder :)
The Danish Monarchy - History - Royal Orders of Chivalry

It depends on the event that takes place during the state visit. Let's take Sweden and Italy as an example.
If it is an event from the Swedish Royal Family hosts, the guests from Italy (and the hosts) will wear the Swedish order they received, alternatively (when they don't have a Swedish order) they will wear the highest order they have.
On the return event that is hosted by Italy, the Swedish Royal family (and the members of the government) will wear their Italian order, and if they don't have one, they will wear the highest order they have.

Hope that helps :)

You can find informations about how to wear the sash on most websites of the respective Royal families :)
http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_his_ord
http://www.kongehuset.no/c28559/artikkel/vis.html?tid=28662

Last edited:
Thank you, Sternchen, that certainly clear things up.
There seems to be a general confusion and many different explanations about the sashes and their use in this forum.

It is definetly confusing :) Sometimes even the employees responsible get confused. When Alexandra was still Princess of Denmark, she wore the Order of the Elephant from the wrong shoulder for the New Years court, and it seems her Lady's maid didn't notice it either. But someone must have told her, as she later changed it to the correct shoulder :)
And IIRC Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh once wore the wrong sash to a function, seems someone in charge of the sashes confused them and packed the wrong one, which is quiet embarassing :lol:

It happened at King Baudouin of Belgium's funeral in 1993; his aide (or however the person in charge) took the sash of the Order of Leopard (an order of Zaire, now Democratic Republic of the Congo) instead of the sash of the Belgian Order of Leopold.
It was definitely embarrasssing, because Congo was a former Belgian colony and there still were tensions between Belgium and Zaire.

How do you wear those things correctly?
Right shoulder left hip
Left shoulder right hip
Different color sashes and their meaning for the color?

Yes it is embrassing to wear the wrong order/sash all together or just wear the order/sash on the wrong shoulder.If you don't get an order/sash
from an head of state or house you would have wear your own which ever is the right order/sash depending on what event your attending.

How do you wear those things correctly?
Right shoulder left hip
Left shoulder right hip
Different color sashes and their meaning for the color?
Depends on the order,some are right shoulder left hip and some are the reverse.

I've now put The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor on my favourites! It's a fantastic site and full of interesting and funny news, well researched and user-friendly!! Didn't know anything about how to wear sashes etc, and now I do!

Back
Top Bottom