Royals Visiting The Pope

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royals Visiting the Pope

I found this photo of Queen Josefina of Sweden-Norway taken in May 1875 when she visited the Pope in Rome. Although married to King Oscar I she had been allowed to retain her Catholic faith. ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1430691123.256478.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

You are making my point for me. If she were serious about her faith she would not have agreed to raise her children Protestant (I don't care who it is she would marry)....I realizes the ins and outs of marrying who she did and that the children would need to be raised in that Church much like the heirs in the BRF. However that's not my point.

If you have an interfaith Catholic marriage that is recognized by the Church as valid and Sacramental then you are required to state you will do your best to see them raised in the Catholic Faith. If the parents had some sort of other agreement as you mentioned then they are not living up to what they agreed to. It doesn't surprise me...there are many people who self identify as Catholic (or Protestant) yet they don't practice their faith as they should.

LaRae

I don't believe you, me, or anyone else has the right to make a judgement on the sincerity of someone else's religious convictions, royalty or otherwise. You don't know Maxima, so how you've come to the determination that because she married a non-Catholic and in so doing, had to agree to raise any children they had as Protestants, she is not a good enough Catholic in your eyes....I don't get it. It sounds wrong and it sounds very hurtful.

Maybe it's my atheism shining through, but my opinions are my own and someone else's are theirs. If a Catholic and a Jew get married and agree to raise boys Jewish and girls Catholic.....good for them. It's their life, and it's not my place to say the father is a bad Jew or the mother is a bad Catholic.

When the Prince engaged with Ms Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti (March 2011) it was said that she would "study Protestantism". In November 2011 the State Information Agency informed that the Bishop of Rotterdam, Mgr A.H. van Luyn s.d.b., has given canonical dispensation for her intended marriage. With this announcement it became clear that the "study of Protestantism" by the fiancée has apparently had led to a desire for a conversion.

The Diocese of Rotterdam explained that the civil (!) marriage of Ms Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti would be recognized. The Roman-Catholic Church then recognizes the marriage which is executed before the municipal registrar as a canonical legal marriage. After all, it was about a marriage between two christened persons. For the Roman-Catholic Church this means that the (Protestant) religious marriage between the two has no sacramental value.

This was a "canonical emergency exit" for the Roman-Catholic Church. Why? A Catholic partner has to promise "with everything which is in his/her power" to avoid "heresy" and to have eventual children baptized in the Roman-Catholic Church and raise these according the Catholic teachings. It was already announced (at the engagement) that eventual children of Prince Willem-Alexander and Máxima would be baptized in the Protestant Church and would receive a protestant upbringing. This means that Máxima could make a vow but it would be impossible for her to sustain it. Such a vow would be meaningless. So the Roman-Catholic Church avoided the inter-religious religious marriage between the Prince and Máxima and recognized the civil marriage (the one and only legal binding marriage in the Netherlands) as canonical valid for the Roman-Catholic Church.

Last edited:
I don't believe you, me, or anyone else has the right to make a judgement on the sincerity of someone else's religious convictions, royalty or otherwise. You don't know Maxima, so how you've come to the determination that because she married a non-Catholic and in so doing, had to agree to raise any children they had as Protestants, she is not a good enough Catholic in your eyes....I don't get it. It sounds wrong and it sounds very hurtful.

Maybe it's my atheism shining through, but my opinions are my own and someone else's are theirs. If a Catholic and a Jew get married and agree to raise boys Jewish and girls Catholic.....good for them. It's their life, and it's not my place to say the father is a bad Jew or the mother is a bad Catholic.

When you take membership in a Faith there are things by virtue of your professed belief that you agree to espouse. No one forces you do do this ...if you don't want to you don't have, however don't pretend to and don't make false vows or oaths.

Just like if you said to everyone that you have a degree in Science and work in a lab yet you refuse to follow the rules of science to prove your experiments were accurate. You would not consider that person to be a scientist with any standing.

So no it's not just 'their life'. If they don't want anyone from that community (faith or science) commenting as to their actions they should live up to what to what they agree to . This doesn't mean you have to be mean spirited about it. Simply pointing out that, hey if they are really faithful they wouldn't do X doesn't mean you are 'mean'.....as Christians you are called to hold each other accountable for their behavior. Science does the same to their members.

LaRae

Remove to the right threat if this post is not right for here:

I have a question about the "privelege du blanc": Princess Marie of Liechtenstein is Roman Catholic like a husband. Why does she not have the "privelege du blanc"?

I have a question about the "privelege du blanc": Princess Marie of Liechtenstein is Roman Catholic like a husband. Why does she not have the "privelege du blanc"?

Does it have to do with being head of state/wed to head of state and royalty as well?

From what I understand Lichtenstein doesn't qualify as it is a principality. Its reigning prince is only HSH, and it is a princely not 'royal' family. You have to be the catholic Monarch or his spouse of a predominately Catholic country. In the past Austria, Bohemia, France, Italy and others were granted the priviledge but not since they were abolished, though the house of Savoy seems to be permitted.

Seeing as Monaco has been granted it recently, will be interesting to see if Lich is granted the right in the future.

It's all nonsense. Who cares who wears what.

Well, I don't think this Pope does. But someone in the papal office let Charlene of Monaco know she could switch from black to white. So, someone cares. And posters here do as well.

It actually occurred to me that Charlene chose something not over-the-top-new-expensive to wear. Which would have pleased this Pope and his focus on substance over style.

Catholics, or at least many of us, do. Its simply tradition/custom. There have been women who have worn white when not allowed to and the Pope has said nothing. But as a church, they are steeped in traditions. Some traditions definitely need changing like how close minded to gays for instance IMO, others like dress code, there is no harm in the tradition.

You many not care what you wear. That is your prerogative. However, it is insensitive to ridicule the faith and customs of the church that Albert and Charlene belong to and their children are baptised into.

They belong to a Church that has billions of believers who do not think that observing custom is nonsense and Charlene showed her respect to His Holiness in wearing white. The rituals of the church provide continuity and to belittle someone who observes to social mores of their church is unnecessary and unkind.

As of 2015, the following ladies are eligible for the privilege:

HM Queen Sofía of Spain (from her husband's accession in 1975)
HM Queen Paola of the Belgians (from her husband's accession in 1993)
HRH The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (from her husband's accession in 2000)
HSH The Princess of Monaco (since 2013)
HM The Queen of the Belgians (from her husband's accession in 2013)
HM The Queen of Spain (from her husband's accession in 2014)
HRH The Princess of Naples

The privilege is not accorded to the wives of all Catholic monarchs or to the wives of non-Catholic monarchs. Even though they are Catholics, it is not accorded to wife of the King of Lesotho, or to the wife of the Prince of Liechtenstein, nor (until 2013) was it accorded to the wife of the Prince of Monaco. The privilege is also not accorded to Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, who is the Catholic wife of the Protestant King Willem-Alexander.

I do not know why Princess Marie or the King of Lesotho ' s wife are not accorded the privelege du blanc. That would be a situation in which no one but the Pope, or those who decide these things, are privy to that answer. It matters not if anyone accepts or agrees with who is allowed this privelege or not, or if people think it is silly/ridiculous, it just IS. Again [deep breath] it just IS.

Royal visit Vatican

Many Royal visit Vatican,and I love to see Photo of Royal visit Vatican from Catholic,Christian and Non-Catholic and some wear veils aside from their own wedding!

Sincerely,
DR

A surprisingly accurate article (from what I could tell). It wouldn't surprise me if the authors had read this very thread, as almost all points in the article had been discussed here.

Several off-topic posts have been deleted. This is a discussion about royals visiting the Pope, not a debate on same-sex marriage.

It is reported that Queen Sofia greeted the pontiff before the start of the ceremony , and also the mother superior general of the Missionaries of Charity, Sister Mary Prema. Queen Sofia Foundation has continually collaborated with this congregation in Spain, and the queen herself formally met with the saintly nun in 1986 and 1987.ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1472993459.668240.jpg

On June 24, 1911, Princess Zita of Bourbon-Parma and her mother were received in audience by Pope Pius X. The Pope informed Zita that she was going to marry the heir to the throne. Pope Pius X remarked that Archduke Charles was the reward the Lord had given Austria for her services to the Church.

Back
Top Bottom