Royals Visiting The Pope

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The current Pontiff certainly has relaxed the once very strict Papal protocol rules.

The various visits by the queen and late duke of Edinburgh to the Vatican over the last 70 years.

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Crown Princess Mary visits the Pope.

Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg visits Pope Francis.

Last edited:
As Catholic it is touching that the Rosary Prayers will take place in the Churches of Liechtensetein Parishes at 7 p.m. to morrow
Marie was one of the 5 Catholic Consorts. As she and the Princess of Monaco were SHH they did not have "le privlilège du Blanc" as for Spain, Belgium and Luxemburg.

Princess Charlene of Monaco has the "Privilège du blanc".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilège_du_blanc#cite_note-5

Here is a picture of Princess Charlene in white.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...nagesque_Princess_Charlene_at_the_Vatican.jpg

I wonder why Princess Marie didn't have the "Privilège du blanc".

Princess Charlene of Monaco has the "Privilège du blanc".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilège_du_blanc#cite_note-5

Here is a picture of Princess Charlene in white.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...nagesque_Princess_Charlene_at_the_Vatican.jpg

I wonder why Princess Marie didn't have the "Privilège du blanc".

The current Pope gives no damn' about ceremony and protocol. I feel Charlène just showed up in white and it was all perfect. Most likely that privilège du blanc is a relict from the past.

The previous Pope, now the Emeritus, was very precise in ceremonial and protocol (but also would never offend anyone ignoring a protocol).

The current Pope gives no damn' about ceremony and protocol. I feel Charlène just showed up in white and it was all perfect. Most likely that privilège du blanc is a relict from the past.

The previous Pope, now the Emeritus, was very precise in ceremonial and protocol (but also would never offend anyone ignoring a protocol).

But also under the Pope Benedikt XVI. there have been no official Visits to the Vatican with royal Ladies dressed in full Gala like during Pope Johannes Paul II. time in office

Actually, this is what I admire most about Pope Francis. He sees everyone, no matter who they are, as his "flock". Personally, I'm glad to see protocol and ceremony go out the window with this Pope.

In the link that was provided by principessa it was stated that Princess Charlene was granted the Privilege by Pope Benedict XVI for her birthday in 2013 and also for her commitment to raising her children in the Catholic faith.

I have no idea why HSH Princess Marie did not receive similar consideration.

Last edited:
Actually, this is what I admire most about Pope Francis. He sees everyone, no matter who they are, as his "flock". Personally, I'm glad to see protocol and ceremony go out the window with this Pope.

But why then not throw protocol and ceremony out of the window with the Royal Houses? State Visits with horse-drawn carriages? Gentlemen in uniform, jacquet, white tie? Ladies with hats or in long with grand jewels? Music bands outside the palace, guards in ceremonial uniforms?

Just wear a summer dress for a State Visit. And: away with the footmen in gold galon and come on, we do not eat from the finest tables bedecked with golden candelabras and stunning floral arrangements: a standing finger buffet by a local catering service will do.

I liked it that Pope Benedict was precise in protocol because he himself would dress accordingly to receive heads of state. What happened now is that the Princess of Monaco (or the Princess of Liechtenstein) were dressed up to the nines but the Pope just did not give a damn' and came in his daily soutane.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it that Pope Benedict was precise in protocol because he himself would dress accordingly to receive heads of state. What happened now is that the Princess of Monaco (or the Princess of Liechtenstein) were dressed up to the nines but the Pope just did not give a damn' and came in his daily ragged soutane.

But then that hasn't been the case since ages. At recent visits to the Pope the royal Ladies were usually dressed in a day gown with a mantilla or hat but not the the nines like we used to see in the past.

But then that hasn't been the case since ages. At recent visits to the Pope the royal Ladies were usually dressed in a day gown with a mantilla or hat but not the the nines like we used to see in the past.

That is because the royals themselves adapted to the lower protocol of the Pope.

His predecessors Benedictus and Johannes-Paulus always wore a choir dress, a red or white mozzetta and a stole when formally receiving heads of state or royals. Then the royals themselves also dressed up. It takes two to tango.

The Pope and the royals dressed down:
https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/n...ews-photo/671440246?et=e-U91lq3RwRJtrvAGxDi_A

The Pope and the royals dressed up:
https://www.alamy.com/pope-benedict...c-vandevilleabacapresscom-image395526039.html

Two different Events. It was the Pope's Intronisation and not a private Visit !.
For this Most Official Events and for Funerals the Royal Consorts of Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg with Privilège du Blanc and the Princesses of Liechtenstein and Monaco in black. ( the Savoie ??)
See for Popes Jean Paul I , Jean Paul II , Benedictus XVI and François.

Now back to Princess Marie , her Funerals will be transmissed in live , I hope I could see them

Not only at Intronisations or official visits, see this audience: https://www.alamy.com/belgiums-king...l-belgium-religion-royals-image380357551.html

I read the thread from its beginning. How interesting !
e.a. Princess Grace wore a black long dress, black Veil tiara and necklace and her Sash.
Queen Elisabeth II the same.
Jackie Kennedy wore a black long dress and a mantilla.

I read the thread from its beginning. How interesting !
e.a. Princess Grace wore a black long dress, black Veil tiara and necklace and her Sash.
Queen Elisabeth II the same.
Jackie Kennedy wore a black long dress and a mantilla.

Princess Grace looked so regal from those Papal visits.

Why didn’t Princess Grace have the privilege du blanc?

Because originally it was only for catholic Queens, Archduchesses of Austria and Princesses of the House of Savoy.

Doesn't the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg also have the Privilège du blanc?

Charlene was the 1st Monégasque Princess Consort to be granted the Privilège du blanc and is a Catholic convert.

Doesn't the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg also have the Privilège du blanc?

Charlene was the 1st Monégasque Princess Consort to be granted the Privilège du blanc and is a Catholic convert.

Oh yes forgot them. But converted catholics had it before like Queen Astrid of Belgium or Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain.

Oh yes forgot them. But converted catholics had it before like Queen Astrid of Belgium or Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain.

I must to see if I can find a photo of Queen Astrid at the Vatican as I had forgotten about her conversion.

Maori King visits the pope

In 2019 the Maori King, Kiingi Tuheitoa Potatai Te Wherowhero VI companied by his wife and daughter as well as others were granted an audience with the Pope. This follows in the footateps of his mother, the late Te Arikinui Te Atairangikaahu who was granted a private audience with His late Holiness, Pope Paul VI in 1975.

https://www.vatican.va/content/paul...uments/hf_p-vi_spe_19750609_regina-maori.html

Its still very strange that when you have the Privilege de blanc that you would chose to wear black.
As a Roman Catholic I do find it very odd.

Is the Princess wearing a rosary or is it a pearl necklace with a cross?

Few additional photos from today's visit to the Pope
https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?start=0&zoektype=2&search=20-07-2022 Monaco

I find it odd too that she wore black. It's as easy to wear white clothes and she has done so on her last two visits to the Vatican.

I remember there was quiet a discussion when she first wore white at the Vatican. But this was also because it wasn't known beforehand that she had the Privilege de blanc as her late mother-in-law never had it.

I remember there was quiet a discussion when she first wore white at the Vatican. But this was also because it wasn't known beforehand that she had the Privilege de blanc as her late mother-in-law never had it.

I remember that but when she wore it the second time it wasn't a surprise as we already knew she had it. It's drawing more attention this time around because she isn't wearing white.

It's called the "privilege" for a reason. Not the mandatory.

I wonder if the Privilège du blanc will ever be extended to Princess of Liechtenstein?

I was also wondering if all today’s princesses of Savoy can wear white or only The Princess of Naples as consort of the head of the house.

Back
Top Bottom