The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2010, 05:27 PM

Let's answer these questions once and for all. As we know, any woman, noble or commoner, must wear black on a visit to the Vatican, except the Catholic sovereigns, regnants or consorts, whose style of Majesty/Highness Catholic has been conferred by the Holy See
So who have the "privilège du blanc" is the Queen Paola of Belgium and Queen Fabiola, the Queen Sofia of Spain and the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg.

Moreover, the claimants to the thrones of ancient Catholic monarchies, though deposed, don't lost this right, allowing the Princess of Savoy, the Duchess of Braganza, the Duchess of Anjou (because only the Orléanist branch keeps the Catholic style) and the Crown Princess Regina of Austria (while she was alive) the use of white garments in papal audiences.

I hope I have been helpfull.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Courtier

So can you explain why they (the claimants) don't usually use this right? And why the Italian princesses used to wear white until 1946?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Visiting the Pope.
Sophia happens to be a Catholic Queen and is allowed to wear white, and Elizabeth is of another religion and has to wear black.
I presume it's Queen Sofia of Spain and Queen Elizabeth II.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 PM

I have a question about the privilège du blanc. I know you must have been granted the title Catholic Majesties but I've read somewere (can't remember where) that some of the German Fürstinnen and princesses also had the privilège. Is that true and wich princesses had the right!

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Does the Pope still give the Golden Rose?

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica17 View Post
Does the Pope still give the Golden Rose?
Yes, he does but it hasn't been given to people in a very long time ( since it was given by His Holiness Pius XII to Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxemburg in 1956), it is now usually given to places and shrines.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Commoner

I wonder how it goes when the British monarch visits the pope, what with Henry VIII and all.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd very much like to see the Crown Princely couple of Denmark make an official visit to the Holy See. Hope such a visit eventuates in the not so distant future.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Roku XIV View Post
I wonder how it goes when the British monarch visits the pope, what with Henry VIII and all.
Elizabeth II has visited the Vatican on more than one occassion and been received by Popes, and has received JPII and the current pope during their visits to the UK, so their does not seem to be a problem. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall also visited the Vatican and were received by the Pope a couple of years ago. Both Elizabeth and Camilla wore the traditional balck during their viists to The Vatican. No 500 year old grudges.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Commoner

privilege du blanc

does some royals still practice the privilege du blanc?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the queens of Spain and Belgium as well as the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg have all taken advantage of the privilege du blanc.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Serene Highness

I read that Lord Nicholas Windsor and his wife visited the pope at the Vatican, and in fact were married in the Vatican (he is a Catholic convert). He is not a king or prince but he is of the British royal family.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1
I read that Lord Nicholas Windsor and his wife visited the pope at the Vatican, and in fact were married in the Vatican (he is a Catholic convert). He is not a king or prince but he is of the British royal family.
They married on 4 November 2006 in the Church of St Stephen of the Abyssinians in the Vatican following a civil ceremony on 19 October 2006 in a London register office.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Courtier

Charlene of Monaco visiting the Pope on 12 January 2013 and wearing WHITE.

Was the protocol changed or infringed?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
Charlene of Monaco visiting the Pope on 12 January 2013 and wearing WHITE.

Was the protocol changed or infringed?
Protocol was broken.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Well, she is Catholic and she is the wife of a Catholic sovereign monarch. (Yes, I'm aware that she not a Catholic Queen). Are we 100% sure that they didn't give her a privilige du blanc? up till now, she was very careful regarding these sort of protocol rules and i seriously doubt she would make such a HUGE mistake. Also, aren't there people whose job it is to make sure such faux-pas don't happen? (if this was one that is?)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Nice collection of photo's of Royals, Presidents,First ladies ,Prime ministers meeting the various Popes.

Politicos and Popes: Mantilla Action in the Vatican

Catholic Mantilla - Will You Mantilla With Me?: Politicos and Popes: Mantilla Action in the Vatican
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe she was granted the "privilege du blanc". I don´t think any royal would make such a mistake, protocol in Vatican is very strict. And I guess she has someone near that can tell her that she can´t wear white when visiting the Pope, if that´s the case.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Maybe she was granted the "privilege du blanc". I don´t think any royal would make such a mistake, ANNIE_Sin Vatican is very strict. And I guess she has someone near that can tell her that she can´t wear white when visiting the Pope, if that´s the case.
I'd agree with you ANNIE S I can't see it being an error as I'm sure they were briefed on Papal protocol prior to the visit.It may become more clear in the next few days that Princess Charléne has been granted this Papal Privilege.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

We know know (see link in the Albert & Chrlen thread) according to The Vatican that the privilege du blanc has been extended to Catholic princesses so protocol was not broken and it was not a mistake for the Princess of Monaco to wear white for an audiance with The Pope.