Royals on Coins, Medals Etc

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalistRiley

Courtier
City
Brisbane
Country
Australia
One of a monarchs most public yet often overlooked duties is to appear on the obverse of their realm's coinage and often on the obverse of military service medals. During some research I did ( as I'm into to coin collecting) on the Royal Australia Mint's website, I found that there have been 4 versions of Queen Elizabeth II's portrait on Australian currency - whihc can be seen via links from here : About obverse designs , while HM has been depicted on medals in both the Imperial State Crown or no crown, along with her father (Department of Defence - Defence Honours and Awards and Department of Defence - Defence Honours and Awards ).

On this note, I thought it would be good to compare some other countries monarchs depictions on currency and medals, particularly from Europe. Does your sovereign wear a crown? Do they have a good portrait?

It's one part I like about living in a commonwealth realm, having a glorious monarch on my nations money, rather then a drab old president. Keeps things varied over the years to, since the money changes with the monarch.

On newer Canadian money, the Queen wears no crown, but on older money she did.

I had this really dark crusty coin I found on my dresser and I was hoping it would be a really old coin, perhaps a George VI coin. Unfortunately it was from 2008... Do not know how it became so weathered in just 4 years lol. It actually had a small hole eaten in it, like someone bathed it in acid or something!

Royal Coins

I just found 2 King George VI Canadian coins, one is from 1952, the other is from 1944. How much do you think they are worth? (Not that I want to sell them, I want to keep em') Do any of you have better royal coins? Perhaps a George V coin or even an Edward VII coin or older?

Or a royal coin from another monarchy? I had been searching for my George VI coins for a while and finally found them. I hope I can find some more old coins!

Prince Edward of York

Hi all, Does anyone know if a commemorative cup for the birth of Prince Edward of York (Edward viii) was ever made?

Update - i do not mean the loving mug.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I have a few old coins and also a couple of war medals which were left to me by my grandparents. A couple are below if anyone is interested although I assume they are fairly common. Sorry for the size of the first one. It is very worn though so it needs to be large to see the detail better. I can resize to the same size as the others if necessary.

Queen Victoria (1889)
dscf0027ho.jpg

George V (1922)
dscf0028i.jpg

George VI (1940)
dscf0029au.jpg

George VI (War Medal 1939–1945)
dscf0024oy.jpg

George VI (Defence Medal)
dscf0025zk.jpg

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
dscf0032xg.jpg

Albert II of Belgium
dscf0033z.jpg

As I say I am sure they are fairly common but I thought I would share anyway.

It's one part I like about living in a commonwealth realm, having a glorious monarch on my nations money, rather then a drab old president. Keeps things varied over the years to, since the money changes with the monarch.

On newer Canadian money, the Queen wears no crown, but on older money she did.

She still wears a tiara on Australian coinage as the Royal Australian Mint uses whatever image the Royal Mint does. I, too, prefer to have the Royal Family on my coinage than some president or national symbol.

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
dscf0032xg.jpg

Albert II of Belgium
dscf0033z.jpg

As I say I am sure they are fairly common but I thought I would share anyway.

Thank you for sharing :) That depiction of Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden is very interesting. I myself prefer a traditional portrait on my coinage.

C20th European Monarchs whose portrait never appeared on coins during their reign are:
Edward VIII, Marie Adélaide of Luxembourg & Simeon II of Bulgaria. Simeon's portrait did appear on notes, however.
Albert I of Monaco, Ferdinand of Romania, Franz of Liechtenstein and Karl I/IV of Austria appeared on gold coins only. Ferdinand also appeared on notes.
Since the end of their reigns, several of these monarchs have been depicted on comemorative issues.
In addition, quite a few of the Grand Dukes, Dukes, and Princes of constituent states within the German Empire were not depicted and neither were the 'monarchs' in the failed monarchical experiments at the time of the two world wars: Albania, Finland, Lithuania (all WWI) and Croatia (WWII).

Came across this forum and thought it would be great to share some content on Royal Medals and the Making of it.

Here's an image of a craftsman working on the crest for the Seri Paduka Mahkota Johor (Order of the Crown of Johor) and a video chronicling the making of the Order. The crafting of ODM is such a fascinating process and we thought it'll be interesting to share a peek behind the scenes.

Video: The Making of SPMJ

Back
Top Bottom