The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,536
mmm...I know that a man can kiss the hand of a lady only if the hand is bare, but I don't think this is the reason you mean; at least not the only one
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,529
it is different, I can only assume that they wore one glove because in the presence of someone higher in rank

Miss Abigail's Time Warp Advice
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Launceston, Australia
Posts: 42
How do kings/queen/emperors address one another? is it just a casual hello <first name>?
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,676
is a protocol for using gloves? now a days for us communers we use gloves becasue it is cold but i see a lot of cps and queens using them, what is the reason? anyones knows?
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Maura724's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, United States
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsriCo View Post
How do kings/queen/emperors address one another? is it just a casual hello <first name>?
I would assume that it depends on their relationship - those who are close relatives and friends would just use each others' first names, while those who are mere acquaintances probably follow a more formal "ma'am" and "sir."
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
is a protocol for using gloves? now a days for us communers we use gloves becasue it is cold but i see a lot of cps and queens using them, what is the reason? anyones knows?
Wearing gloves has always been an essential part of the etiquette.

In past, gloves were all but compulsory. The etiquette has of course relaxed since then, however more traditional Royals (especially the British ones) still wear gloves during official engagements.

As per the royal etiquette, long gloves should be worn at Gala Balls, Court presentations, “White Tie” dinners, dinners in Honour of a dignitary, formal indoor occasions, receptions, on arrival at a luncheon or dinner party and in all other similar cases.
Short gloves are worn upon discretion, however it is highly recommended to wear them in church (or places of worship), at semi-official events, practically at all outdoor events or events where you are expected to be introduced to a large number of people.

There are general rules for both long and short gloves:
* No jewellery should be worn over gloves, with the exception of bracelets.
* If one is wearing gloves, they should be kept on at all times, including when being presented to someone or while dancing (at a formal party). This is more compulsory in case of long gloves.
* When the drinks and hors d’oeuvres are passed, it is recommended to either remove one glove (the right one) or turn gloves back at the wrist. This obviously concerns mostly the long gloves. Short gloves not only can but should be removed before consuming any food.
* At the dining table, the etiquette dictates to either remove only the right glove, or remove both gloves.
* Gloves should be removed when eating, drinking, smoking, applying makeup or playing cards.


As for non-Royals who are presented to Royals, nowadays, it is not necessary to wear gloves during such ceremonies (unless otherwise warned beforehand): however if you do wear gloves, you should not remove them during the presentation.

The etiquette regarding gloves has considerably relaxed lately; the Scandinavian Royals, for example, hardly ever bother with them at all. And if they do wear those, most remove at least one glove upon arrival to great people more ‘informally’.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,529
I was looking at stephen poliakoffs "the lost prince" and in a scene women were smoking in the evening while keeping their long gloves on. It made me wonder, the serie is so excellent, did they get it wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 954
Well, the etiquette does dictate that smoking with gloves on (especially long white ones) is really a big breach, so yes, technically they did get it wrong.
However, I doubt anyone has ever followed all etiquette rules by letter (not to mention that in past a smoking woman was a breach of etiquette all by herself).B esides, I think if the women were alone (there were no gentlemen present), they could relax the rules a bit.

As a side note, as someone who had to wear long white gloves on a couple of occasions, it's a real hell trying not to stain them in any way and no sensible woman would be smoking without taking them off first.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,529
the thought crossed my mind that these women did not care about that, worse would be to have smelly hands.
Anyway, if I come across a painting or print (not likable because of as you say the risky business of a woman smoking cigaretttes) I will post it.

[QUOTE=Marsel;1022292]Well, the etiquette does dictate that smoking with gloves on (especially long white ones) is really a big breach, so yes, technically they did get it wrong.
However, I doubt anyone has ever followed all etiquette rules by letter (not to mention that in past a smoking woman was a breach of etiquette all by herself).B esides, I think if the women were alone (there were no gentlemen present), they could relax the rules a bit.

Quote:
As a side note, as someone who had to wear long white gloves on a couple of occasions, it's a real hell trying not to stain them in any way and no sensible woman would be smoking without taking them off first.[/
QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Wearing gloves has always been an essential part of the etiquette.
you are star, thank you so much! very interesting, so for communers like us, it is a real treat to use them!!!!
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-24-2009, 08:32 AM
yoyo1987's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 104
in Norway is there the same british etiquette?
__________________
HRH PRINCESS ELISABETH ANN
(It's a dream:) )
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Clemens's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 13
European Protocol - Is there a guide/book about it?

I was wondering whether or not there was a website or a book which includes all the details which are part of the protocol.

Examples:

You may adress a Count with "Your Grace"

You may only get married once. (According to protocol)

You will never offer a toast as it is very rude to do so.
__________________
Pro decus quod Palma
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ****, Canada
Posts: 1,512
Is the "Savoir Faire" and the "Savoire Vivre" still available?
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,676
Minding Manners, International Business Etiquette, Corporate Etiquette, Social & Youth Etiquette London, England, UK, Paris, France
I just found this website, maybe someboy else can add something ellse. it is not much you just have to be living in london and have the money to do the courses
I had been asking myself the same if it was a book or soemthing more specific like they use Princess Maxima and Princess Mary when they studied protocol to became princess.
In America I did not find anything where I live in Las Vegas, not much of protocol here.......
Hope someboy can write more information, it owuld be much apreciatte it1
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Clemens's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 13
Jaya i don't know, Thanks for your link Ashelen :) But i'm more interested in specific protocol proper to the gentry and nobility. My Grandmother used to teach me bits of protocol, she seemed to know all these rules by heart, i wish she had had time to teach me a little more.
__________________
Pro decus quod Palma
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,529
Debrett's Online - the authority on Etiquette, Taste and Achievement

http://www.amazon.com/Debretts-Guide..._bxgy_b_text_c
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ****, Canada
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
is a protocol for using gloves? now a days for us communers we use gloves becasue it is cold but i see a lot of cps and queens using them, what is the reason? anyones knows?
I think other than the touching of another's skin it also had to do with the widespread epidemic of TB around the world.Pls advise.
Today I think that it is decorative,hygienic and keeps the distance of the other person from unwanted familiarity.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saguenay, Canada
Posts: 1
Bow + curtsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin View Post
The protocol on meeting a British royal is as follows:
...If you are not a British Citizen, you do not have to curtsy or bow--your choice.
@tiaraprin: Toward the Queen...being a stranger or not, you must ALWAYS bow or cursty.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Catherine Helvin's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 299
The wearing of gloves has become much more relaxed during and since Princess Diana's time. Even Camilla doesn't wear them much unless it's cold.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,555
There was a video I saw where Mary's hat was about to fall off and she was going to shake a parliament guys hand with her left hand. He switched hands for her so she could shake his hands with the right. She looked a little embarassed. She wasn't married to Frederik yet, so I guess she wasn't used to it. If I find the video I will post it here.
__________________

__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
addressing a royal, etiquette, protocol


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Court Etiquette and Ceremonial SaxeundGotha Royal Families of France 30 01-29-2013 10:46 PM
Italian Court Etiquette and Protocol SaxeundGotha Royal Families of Italy 16 02-11-2011 05:54 PM
Protocol and Etiquette: a Very Royal Perspective Elspeth Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs and Articles 17 05-24-2009 06:49 AM
Máxima's Protocol and Etiquette Education ashelen King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 85 01-12-2008 03:10 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best holiday outfit best outfit best outfit october 2016 catherine middleton style corbyn countess of wessex's style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events denmark royals duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince harken in canada princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises