The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
There was a time when a woman couldn´t wear trousers in the presence of Spanish royalty but that has certainly become something of the past.
Well, yeah! Princess Letizia rarely wears something different, does she?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Courtier

Well, if a lady wants to wear a pant-suit (when a suit is appropriate), that is her choice. As long as it looks neat and clean, fine. Gala dinners...are a different story.

Her Majesty does come from a different generation, when pants automatically were equated with extremely casual daily use. I don't think she exactly stews over it, anymore. Maybe back in the 70s or even the 80s, when it was less common for business affairs.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Commoner

I think most of the royals are used to strangers engaging in conversation with them and take it as part of their job. Frederick and Mary seem to do, and my aunt actually met the queen Margrethe II's father Frederick IX back when he was king on a trip to Skt. Peters cathedral in Rome, and he was very friendly and down to earth and not offended at all by being recognised and spoken to by one of his subjects. He actually engaged in a long conversation with her. But then again he was wellknown for being relaxed, so maybe it also depends on which royal it is and how relaxed they are. And also how they appear in the situation. If they look stressed out, I think I would leave them alone.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt that nowdays with all the security alert to everyone's intentions, any bodyguard will let a passing byer stop and engage a royal in a conversation.
It is a lovely encounter your aunt had with K Frederick but those were other times and royals could be a little more relaxed.
With regard to etiquette I would agree with other posters that no one should address any royal unless that royal shows interest in talking to them.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Commoner

I'm not saying that you should engage in a conversation if they don't seem interested, I'm just saying that many of them are likely to smile or nod if they pass you by, which I agree rarely happens at random. At official turn ups, it often happens, however. For example I heard on the news that the officials have to plan twice as much time for the crownprince couple to walk down the street than the queen and the prince, because they want to say hello and shake hands with everybody. I think it's like with most other people, you have to have a sense of the situation. But why not nod or say hello, your likely to be looking at them anyway, so why not act friendly.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

A long time ago I saw Princess Grace on the street. She was alone with her bodyguard. She had a lovely smile on her face but did not seem to encourage any more than a nod. Besides I was transfixed and could not utter a word even if she spoke.
With regard to those walks about town where people hang over the barrier stretching their hands for a handshake, I guess everything goes.
I agree with you that all depends on the moment and if they give the green light that to approach them is allowed.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Commoner

That's exciting, was she as pretty in reality? Yes, it probably also depends on the size of the country, here in denmark there are rarely barriers, when they go for a walkabout but it's probably a different story in britain for example.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Commoner

I probably wouldn't approach a royal if I saw him/her out in public, because I would feel like I was invading their space. Actually, I wouldn't approach any well-known person (politician, movie star, athlete, etc.) if I saw them while out and about for the same reason. You just never know how well people are going to react to being approached like that, and I wouldn't want to upset anyone. Plus, security would probably try to hurry me away anyway.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS View Post
That's exciting, was she as pretty in reality? Yes, it probably also depends on the size of the country, here in denmark there are rarely barriers, when they go for a walkabout but it's probably a different story in britain for example.
I saw her in Lausanne Switzerland on the street. She looked exactly like the photos and she was beautiful. No one went near her and she was actually walking in the middle of the pedestrian street.
It is an "awkward" feeling to be so close to someone like a royal and I suppose even if someone would talk, I'd lose my voice from the emotion.....BTW I am talking about true royals
Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Bee View Post
I probably wouldn't approach a royal if I saw him/her out in public, because I would feel like I was invading their space. Actually, I wouldn't approach any well-known person (politician, movie star, athlete, etc.) if I saw them while out and about for the same reason. You just never know how well people are going to react to being approached like that, and I wouldn't want to upset anyone. Plus, security would probably try to hurry me away anyway.
I feel exactly the same way.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I saw her in Lausanne Switzerland on the street. She looked exactly like the photos and she was beautiful. No one went near her and she was actually walking in the middle of the pedestrian street.
It is an "awkward" feeling to be so close to someone like a royal and I suppose even if someone would talk, I'd lose my voice from the emotion.....BTW I am talking about true royals
Yes I imagine, I wouldn't know what to say either, if I wasn't prepared. And even if I was I would probably feel I was asking the same questions as everybody else. I mean, they must have heard it all. Unless you have something specific to talk about.

What do you mean; true royals as opposed to what?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

As opposed to those who crave the limelight.........
Old 08-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Commoner

I see what you mean, those aren't very impressing..
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Bee View Post

They would feel perfectly entitled to approach you and wouldn't care if they invaded your space. Why should they be treated with more respect than you? They are not special and shouldn't be treated as such.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Courtier

I would proably leave the royal alone being that are bothed by so many people.
I have talents that can use if I want to be in the limelight by using them professionally.
Now this title situation if I had a title or titles I would try to make them legal I would
have to go through a process to make the title or titles legal but I were denined I
would use that title or titles as a courstey.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMCS View Post
They would feel perfectly entitled to approach you and wouldn't care if they invaded your space. Why should they be treated with more respect than you? They are not special and shouldn't be treated as such.
You mean you would approach anyone anywhere because you believe they are your equal? I would not dream of it. Everyone is entitled to their own space and approaching people who do not know me, just because I feel I am entitled to a chat is unthinkable to me.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I read in a British publication (I can't remember which one), that unless one is a subject of that particular royal, then one is not required to curtsy when they see a royal on the street or in another public place. I do like to think that if I had the pleasure of meeting a royal in person (i.e. if I was to be introduced to Queen Elizabeth at an event), I would still curtsy. Offering my hand would not seem polite, even though I am not her subject. Has anyone read the same thing?
A handshake is acceptable in this decadent age and is all protocol requires but a curtsey or a bow is considered particularly courteous
(Thats what we were officially told when QE2 visited Aus anyway.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
You mean you would approach anyone anywhere because you believe they are your equal? I would not dream of it. Everyone is entitled to their own space and approaching people who do not know me, just because I feel I am entitled to a chat is unthinkable to me.
I don't believe I am their equal. I know that I am superior to every one of them in every aspect of life. There is no royal, politician or celebrity who is worthy of respect or even basic politeness but if I chose to approach them I would do so in a hearbeat. The point is that if a famous person or royal wanted to approach a non-royal/famous person for any reason whatsoever there is nothing in the world to protect the non-royal from the intrusion. That is equally unthinkable but it happens every day.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Commoner

Quote:
No, I don't like having my space invaded, which is why I try to be considerate of other's need to privacy as well. If I really didn't feel like talking to somebody, I would let them know, whether they're royal or not. However, in most cases if someone want to say hi or whatever I try to return it, just because it's the nice thing to do. It has nothing to do with thinking royals deserve more respect than me, or that I am "below" them somehow.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't believe I am their equal. I know that I am superior to every one of them in every aspect of life.

This is a wonderful , I guess, superiority feeling to have. It helps in life.

There is no royal, politician or celebrity who is worthy of respect or even basic politeness

I beg to differ. There are a lot who earned respect, others don't. But I cannot make a blanket statement like this.

but if I chose to approach them I would do so in a hearbeat. The point is that if a famous person or royal wanted to approach a non-royal/famous person for any reason whatsoever there is nothing in the world to protect the non-royal from the intrusion. That is equally unthinkable but it happens every day.
Since I have never been approached by the royals and the famous and have them intrude in my life, so far, I have no comment on that part of the post.

Tags
addressing a royal, etiquette, protocol