The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

They're someone lik
Etiquette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In diplomacy there is someone like chief of protocol.

Btw. anyone know something about like spanich court ceremonial (Spanisches Hofzeremoniell)?

Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
So for example, you say, "Did Your Majesty enjoy the performance?" and not "Did you like it?".

If you have read Debrett's you should know not to ask questions!!

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Gentry

Is it impolite ?

I you see a queen or a king or any other royal either on the street or at the exit of a church for instance:

is it impolite or even coarse to adress this person and give her or him a little present and/or tell her/him some kind words ?

Because I read in the Etiquette section that "normal" people are not supposed to adress a Royal first...

Thank you in advance for your information !
Old 11-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting question, in my opinion, i think that rule would apply in the olden days and not necesarily in this day and age. I'm not sure though, maybe it is still a valid requirement/rule. I don't think a monarch would find it rude if you pay a compliment to them.

Also, if they are in a public place then they should expectpeople wanting to talk or wave at them really.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

good question alto as a Texas it goes against my grain to not be polite and friendly. i agee you shouldn't approachat a formal protocol event, but it's a sad day when a friendly good moring while passing on a street is considered impolite. of course "yo queeny" would never do, but a sincere good morning seems ok, imo
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Royal Highness

I would probably give them space and privacy if they are not on duty. Personally, I would freak if a stranger comes up to me and speak as if they are on familiar terms. I'm not even talking about terrorism, just stalkers (and not just the paparazzi kind) would make such encounters nerve racking. I keep reading about the royals, particularly the younger ones, looking for "normality" or anonimity in daily life. If they are not breaking any laws, I'd leave them alone to walk around in peace.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Commoner

While I was growing up in the military, we were taught not to talk to a superior (officer or royalty) until spoken to. Of course, one can always send a warm smile their way.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Would YOU curtsey to Camilla? | the Daily Mail
Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 AM

I think its fine to say "Good Morning Your Royal Highness" and perhaps give a bow or quick curtsey, but leave it at that, if they want to speak further I'm sure they will otherwise move on and leave it, after all they want to have a life out of the spotlight.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
While I was growing up in the military, we were taught not to talk to a superior (officer or royalty) until spoken to. Of course, one can always send a warm smile their way.
I think much of that depends on whether you see a royal as your superior. The HOS is one thing but there children, grandchildren and siblings are a different matter altogether.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Gentry

I think I would drop a quick curtsey, look up and smile, then continue on my way. If he/she wanted to further detain me, they would have to make that move.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Gentry

Smile Thanks to everyone !

Well, I was thinking of a queen I might meet. A lady who knows her well told me she is very simple, doesn't "play queen" in daily life and likes to move around in the city (she meets her regularly while shopping). So if I ever see Her Majesty I do not know what to do. I want to remain respectfull but at the same time express her my true affection.

My respect for this queen is high but I am not good at expressing these things "formally". My "latin side" is prompt to take over...

Well I think I would choose Vanishing Lady's option but I guess that with the years Her Majesty is used to receiving the most clumsy expressions of affection from people of all cultural backgrounds !

Thanks to you all again !
Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Aristocracy

I think the rule "not to initiate a contact" or address a (royal) first is similar to the Knigge ideas of WHo greets whom first who puts out the hand for the handshake first, etc.
In earlier times those rules were enforced quite strictly in every day life. Men would get up when a lady stood and only resume seating once she also sat down, you wouldn't turn your back to your superior, you would not address a superior without seeking his permission. You can find examples of this behaviour in all walks of life up until I would say WWII. And since clocks in the royal palaces tick a bit slower, you still walk backwards (and pretty awkwardly out of the room still facing the Queen and hoping not to bump into some furniture and make a foul of yourself.)
Other than that I don't think that the rules are so much different:
Who would honestly approach Mr. President and yell a friendly : " Yo, George, how is it going?"
On the other hand I have seen pictures of people posing next to the Queen, arm around her shoulder and she smiled sweetly into the camera (didn't hear of any execution afterwards either)
Old 12-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Well, the established rule is you wait for them to approach you but a simple "Good Morning Ma'am" as they pass is a nice way of making a greeting that isn't too pushy and gives them the opportunity to say the same back or to engage in a longer conversation.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Gentry

Talking

I would agree to you, RoyalProtocol ,
but also i think it depends somehow which royal - A Sheik , The Queen or some young prince, princess and of which country.
But since I dont know anyone returning from such an event - maybe its very dangerous if you dont do it right. The pictures with the Queen might be fakes.

Anyway - I wonder what would really happened if anyone of us meets any or his favourite royal somewhere in public field. (IMO I would hit the nearest lamppost while looking at her and hummling some Aehs,Ohs - so the most impolite way will happen - with some headage )

Old 01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I read in a British publication (I can't remember which one), that unless one is a subject of that particular royal, then one is not required to curtsy when they see a royal on the street or in another public place. I do like to think that if I had the pleasure of meeting a royal in person (i.e. if I was to be introduced to Queen Elizabeth at an event), I would still curtsy. Offering my hand would not seem polite, even though I am not her subject. Has anyone read the same thing?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

This is an outstanding thread. I am originally from California, and we (Californians) are rather informal people. It is nice to learn about etiquette and courtesies. It seems that these are things of the past in the United States, and this is not a good thing. One thing that makes me especially crazy is seeing people chewing gum in public and men who spit on the sidewalk. I think that polite behavior is not always evident in today's society. This is unfortunate, and perhaps Americans can learn from these rules of etiquette, despite the fact that we don't have royalty. These rules can apply to everyday life.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Commoner

In Malaysia, there are 2 types of etique and courtesy that being used..
There are 9 royal families in Malaysia, 8 of them used a traditional Malay custom of etique and courtesy.
While the Johor Royal Family used the same as European system.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy

i heard that too: you have to bow or curtsy when you meet them, but again it depends wich royal from wich country, it's quite different.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Aristocracy

but the european system is more strict or not?

Tags
addressing a royal, etiquette, protocol