Royals and the Military

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mktv2000

Aristocracy
City
Seattle
Country
United States
Which of the young royals has the highest military rank? I have always wondered. Also, I have seen The Princess Royal in her military uniform, have any of the other royal woman been seen in them?

I think The Prince of Orange has got the highest rank (colonel), Prince Carl Philip of Sweden-2nd Lieutnenant, The Prince of Asturias-Commander, The Crownprince of Denmark-Lieutnant-Colonel). I just the only female princess who wear uniform (without Princess Royal) is Princess Astrid of Belgium.

We have another great woman to add to the short list!!! :

AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan's King Abdullah II granted his wife, Queen Rania, the honorary military rank of full colonel in the armed forces Thursday, the official Petra news agency reported.

Abdullah also appointed his Palestinian-born wife as the head of Higher Council of Queen Rania al-Abdullah Society for the Support of the Military and their Families.

The society, established by the queen three months ago, provides assistance and financial aid to needy armed forces families.

It also allocates monthly income for orphans and widows of military personnel and provides loans and social services.

"You were always the nearest to me to share my opinion on the necessity of providing the requirements and descent life standards to all the boys and girls in our one big Jordanian family, especially the members of the armed forces and their families," Abdullah said in a letter addressed to the queen.

Queen Rania is also the honorary chairwoman of the Arab Army Officers Wives Club since its establishment in 2002.

what about the king of sweden and the prince of sweden

and will victoria have a military rank when she becomes queen

megknight said:
Also, I have seen The Princess Royal in her military uniform, have any of the other royal woman been seen in them?
Queen Elizabeth II rode at Trooping the Color in uniform up to 1987.

She also served in the ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service) in 1945 and she was sometimes seen wearing her uniform, for example on VE DAy (8 May 1945).

HM The Queen of Denmark

HM The Queen is the supreme commander of the Danish Defence Forces.

In addition to the relations to the Danish Defence, HM The Queen has a special connection to particular units of the British Defence. In 1972, Her Majesty was appointed Allied Colonel-in-Chief of The Queen's Regiment, and in 1992 HM The Queen was appointed Allied Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment.

HRH The Prince Consort Henrik
holds the honorary rank of General and Admiral in the Danish Defence.

The Crown Prince of Denmark
Royal Danish Navy Frogman Corps 1995 (equivalent to Special Boat Service – Royal Marines, or US Navy Seals).
Commander senior grade in the Navy, lieutenant colonel in the Army, and lieutenant colonel in the Air Force 2004.

Prince Joachim’s

in 1992 after having completed advanced training level I for officers of the reserve (VUT I), he was appointed Captain of the reserve. Prince Joachim remains active in the defence reserve as a Squadron Commander Designate of a tank squadron in the Prince’s Life Guard Regiment.

what ranks does the king of norway and crown prince of Norway hold

King CARL XVI GUSTAF
The King holds supreme rank in the three arms of Sweden's defence forces

Lord Sosnowitz said:
I think The Prince of Orange has got the highest rank (colonel), Prince Carl Philip of Sweden-2nd Lieutnenant, The Prince of Asturias-Commander, The Crownprince of Denmark-Lieutnant-Colonel). I just the only female princess who wear uniform (without Princess Royal) is Princess Astrid of Belgium.

did not carl philip get a higher rank last year

Prince Joachim was recently promoted from the rank of captain to major in the reserve.

Crown Prince Haakon is lieutenant-commander in the Norwegian Navy. (If I have translated it right, and the information I found was accurate, that is.)

Josefine said:
what ranks does the king of norway and crown prince of Norway hold

King Harald is General in the Army and the Airforce and Admiral in the Navy, and commander of the Norwegian forces.

Queen Sonja also has taken a military education, and has the rank of Brigadier. (As far as I can tell.)

Prince Carl Philip was appointed Lieutenant in December 2004.

I've seen Queen Noor and Princess Ayesha of Jordan wearing military uniforms.
And Princess Masna of Brunei as well, along with one of here sisters.
Not sure what titles these women have though.

The Duke of Edinburgh holds ranks of Admiral of the Fleet, Field Marshal and Marshal of RAF, but he seems to wear his Royal Navy uniform whenever he has to dress as a military man. I cannot find any of his photos in the Army or RAF uniform.

Mapple said:
The Duke of Edinburgh holds ranks of Admiral of the Fleet, Field Marshal and Marshal of RAF, but he seems to wear his Royal Navy uniform whenever he has to dress as a military man. I cannot find any of his photos in the Army or RAF uniform.

In the 2003 Royal Portrait for Australia, His Royal Highness wears the uniform of a Marshal of the Royal Australian Air Force. This picture is too large to post here, but I'll endevour to sent it to you.

Mapple said:

He sometimes wears other uniforms, if the event involves only the Army or the RAF. I think that if he usually choses the Royal Navy uniform is because the navy is the senior service and its officers are senior to their equals in the other services (so an admiral comes before a general, for example); and because he served in the Navy.

In occasion of the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, in 2000, he wore his RAF uniform.

Last edited:
ElisaR said:
He sometimes wears other uniforms, if the event involves only the Army or the RAF. I think that if he usually choses the Royal Navy uniform is because the navy is the senior service and its officers are senior to their equals in the other services (so an admiral comes before a general, for example); and because he served in the Navy.

Thank you. It's understandable that the Duke wears his Admiral of the Fleet uniform very often, but I was interested in seeing him dressed in the uniform of British Field Marshal. I have to erm... content myself with Field Marshal the Duke of Kent for the time being. :)

It is quite interesting that sometimes royals get honorary military ranks in foreign countries. For example, King Hussein of Jordan was an Air Chief Marshal, RAF. King Birendra of Nepal became one of the few British Field Marshals to die a violent death. :(

Two with Field Marshal uniform and another two with RAF again. :)

What Rank does Harry have or does he not have one yet

He is a Staff Cadet at the Royal Military College - Sandhurst. When he is commissioned, he shall be a Lieutenant.

Von Schlesian said:
He is a Staff Cadet at the Royal Military College - Sandhurst. When he is commissioned, he shall be a Lieutenant.

Please forgive me asking but do they not have 2nd Lieutenants anymore (1 pip) or do they now graduate as a full Lieutenant (2 pips) ? Just curious.

Scott :confused:

will William go in as a basic cadet what Regiment do you think he and his Brother will join What were NII Of Russias Ranks

Princess Aisha of Jordan is a Colonel and in 1995 she became Director of the Directorate of Women's Affairs in the Jordanian Armed Forces.
She was the woman from the Middle East to enrol at Sandhurst and completed her officers training in 1987...:cool:

http://www.princesshaya.net/bio_aisha.htm

Back
Top Bottom