Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some more...

1., HRH Prince Constantijn of The NL's cypher
2., HRH Prince Johan Friso of Orange-Nassau's cypher
3., HRH Princess Laurentien of The NL's cypher

Attachments

• const.jpg
    const.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 930
  • fj.jpg
    fj.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 832
  • laurentien.jpg
    laurentien.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 946
Jordania

1., HM Queen of Jordania's cypher
2., HRH Princess Haya of Jordan's cypher

Attachments

• rania.jpg
    rania.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 2,332
  • haya.jpg
    haya.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,327
Mc

HSH Princess Stéphanie of Monaco's cypher

Attachments

• stéphanie.jpg
    stéphanie.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,429
Royal Motto's

I don't think we have a thread discussing the various motto's of royal families, royal orders or individual royals thus far, so here it goes.

- Per Aspera ad Astra (Through striving, to the stars) - GD Family of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

- Avito Viret Honore (He flourishes on the honor of his ancestors) - GD Family of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

"Alt for Norge" (All for Norway) is the motto of the Norwegian monarchs.

Here's William's and Harry's
cns%212244878A8C9B75DA%214265.entry

http://diana-remembered.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2244878A8C9B75DA!4265.entry?sa=988987305

Attachments

• W & H.jpg
    W & H.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 857
Last edited by a moderator:
- Ich Dien (I Serve) - GD Family of Luxembourg AND also used by the Prince of Wales.

Could anyone tell me if the British Royal family motto, is "Dieu et mon droit" or "Honi soit qui mal y pense"?
or another one I don't know? thank you....

"Dieu et mon droit", I remember...

Well, it looks like a good thread...Do you know the motto of Swedish Royal family?

- Ich Dien (I Serve) - [...]also used by the Prince of Wales.
How comes he has a German Motto?
I remember also reading it on the coat of arms of the PoW...
Does it have to do something with the Battenbergs/Mountbattens?

Queen Margrethe 2. of Denmark:

Guds hjælp, folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke (Gods help, love of the people, Denmarks strengh)

I know they're dead for more than four centuries, but I think that mottos of some of them really reflect their personalities.

Katherine of Aragon: Humble and Loyal (a good description of her)
Anne Boleyn: The Most Happy (a good description of her)
Jane Seymour: Bound to Obey and Serve (she was quiet and obedient, so I think it is a good description of her)
Anne of Cleves: God sent me well to keep
Katherine Howard: No other wish but his :)rolleyes:)
Katharine Parr: To be useful in all I do

Well, it looks like a good thread...Do you know the motto of Swedish Royal family?

The present one used by king Carrl Gustav is: För Sverige i tiden. Which means:For Sweden - With the times OR Carry Sweden through time. It is the tradition that each monarch takes his own motto though, so the one of Gustaf VI Adolf was: Plikten framför allt - Duty above all; for example.

I have to say I was underwhelmed by the look of the cyphers granted to both William and Harry. :sleeping:

There's nothing about them that appears unique or original to me. Contrast this with the Danish Royal cyphers, for example, which are distinctive in their design and and strong in their appearance.

Is it just me, or do William's and Harry's look like someone just picked the first run-of-the-mill, curvy font they ran across on their computer, and were done with it?

I have to agree with you on William and Harry's cyphers: they are underwhelming and in my opinion a little too feminine for these two men! The PoW website states that the cyphers were designed by The College of Arms and I can only assume that neither William nor Harry had anything to do with the designs apart from approving them, which is a great shame considering it is upon their correspondence that these swirled letters will be placed! My favourite cypher is Haakon of Norway's with an unusual lower case H which is modern yet looks almost viking in its design!

Hi all!
Your know whose it is the monogram in the history.. The monogram consists of one letter "N" and all?

Help identify

Hello again
I want to know whose name, house may have been granted the right to be monogrammed in the form of a letter N ? Or give Give directions to search ..
Thank you :flowers:

Napoleon Bonaparte had a monogram of the letter N

Attachments

• Napoleon Monogram.jpg
    Napoleon Monogram.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,108
Thanks! But Napoleon was a man and I am looking for a woman .. or his women Napoleon also misappropriated his monogram? May be in the histories was another woman with same monogram? if it was....

Honi soit q mal y pense - shame on him who evil thinks of it

The Order of the Garter

The Netherlands: "Je Maintiendrai" - free translated: "I will stay"

The motto of the Mexican Empire was Equidad en la Justicia or Equity in Justice

For Austia under the Habsburgs:

“Austriae est imperare orbi universo,” abbreviated to AEIOU: “It is for Austria to command the whole world.”

They also had this motto:

"Bella gerant alii, tu felix Austria, nube!" which means: "Wars may be led by others - you, happy Austria, marry!"

I am not sure when they changed it though.

Unknown Danish Monogram

Hello, I am trying to identify this monogram. It is found on a Danish military item on both the metal and leather pieces. It may have an "F" and a "9" intertwined with each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The item dates from the 1914-1930 time period. Thank you!

Attachments

• monogram 1.jpg
    monogram 1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 775
  • monogram 2.jpg
    monogram 2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 754
Do British Royals apart from HM the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have monograms? I know that most members have their own arms based on the Royal arms and the Prince of Wales gets to use the 3 feathers sign.

The Scandinavian houses seem to have the most monograms and use them more widley.

My favourite monograms have to be those belonging to the Danish royal family. The fact that they are designed by Queen M makes them more special.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom