Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monogram on glass

Is anyone able to identify this monogram? It's on a wine glass which was probaby made between 1820 and 1900. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 314
Close up

Another , bigger, better photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 308
Unidentified Monogram

Hello, ALL,

I am a new member to this forum. I am a history enthusiast and and a member of a reenactment group called the Great War Historical Society. My main interest and regiment I portray is the Bavarian 2. Chevaleguer "Thurn und Taxis". I have been researhing an original Chevaleguer Pikelhaube (Spiked Helmet) that has a monogram on the silk lining. So far, I cannot identify it. Would anyone know who's monogram this is?
Chevaleguer Monogram Photo by Christopher_Laguna | Photobucket

Has anyone seen a cypher for either of the Wessex? I assume they have them.

Cypher / Monogram cursive V under crown

Hello all
This cypher is on what appears to be an early to mid 19 Century British pattern of cavalry sword. It reminds me of the English gunmaker's V under Crown but it isn't. It is really annoying me, as I have seen this cypher before but can not remember where :bang:.

Anyone recognize it? It would need to date 1821-1860 or thereabouts.

Thanks
Travlur

Attachments

• crown-over-v-cypher.jpg
    crown-over-v-cypher.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 344
Monogram of which Monarch??

Good evening,

I obtained interesting watch with Royal Monogram on back case.
It's french work, excellent quality work, about 1840-1860.
I cannot find out whose monogram it is.

It's too late for French Ludovicus, the Louis XVIII died in 1824 and they had fleurs-de-lis at crown.
From the German / Scandinavian states only Ludwig II Bavarian looks similar, but still slightly differs..

Would be grateful for any opinion, thanks in advance.

bourdin.jpg

Is it by any chance Dutch? the Dutch Crown is described as "a bejeweled golden ring with golden fleurons and pearls, eight rising arches studded with pearls and topped with an orb with a cross. The crown is not lined with velvet." (It was later lined with red silk.) - That's the best match I can make to the crown part of the monogram.
I am no expert! and will be interested to learn more :flowers:

The Greeks also used the orb and cross, as did Maria Pia of Portugal. Your watch could be engraved with a military cypher. Wish I knew more about cyphers.

I believe it's the monogram of Leopold II of Belgium.

Glasshouse

Thanks all for your help.

French Louis XIV - Louis XVIII have different crowns with lily flower. Chateau de Versailles has Louis XIV cypher.

I didn't fount Dutch, Portuguese, Greek royal members with LL monogram.

Best fit seems to be Leopold 2 of Belgium or Ludwig 2 of Bavaria. They were crowned in 1865 and 1864 correspondingly. My sympathies is a little on Ludwig's side.. I'm joining their monograms.

Leopold 2

leo21.jpg

leo23.jpg

Ludwig 2

ludwig22.jpg

ludwig24.jpg

ludwig's looks a lot like the one in the first post

not that it's the one, but just because this thread has sparked my interest ;)
e47b9366059546c32fc85f30793da2dc.jpg

Queen Louise of Denmark's monogram (also a double L)

Is it by any chance Dutch? the Dutch Crown is described as "a bejeweled golden ring with golden fleurons and pearls, eight rising arches studded with pearls and topped with an orb with a cross. The crown is not lined with velvet." (It was later lined with red silk.) - That's the best match I can make to the crown part of the monogram.
I am no expert! and will be interested to learn more :flowers:

The heraldic Dutch Crown (and it's Luxembourgian "spin-off") are the only current reigning royal crowns withoutinside cap. The Crowns are "open". This is in fact a Grand-Ducal Crown but apparently the Orange-Nassaus esthetically liked their royal arms more with an open heraldic crown: http://www.gahetna.nl/sites/default/files/imagecache/photo_large/fotos/koninklijke_wapen.jpg. I can see why the crowns in the arms are left "empty". It eyes better. The same happened with the heraldic Bavarian Crown. The real Dutch crowns which were made for Willem I resp Willem II were royal indeed with an inside cap: this one is the Crown of 1848.

I think that your monogram possibly is linked to Bavaria. I can not make any match with Dutch royals and that monogram.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Queen Victoria Cypher with a crowned "V", not a crowned "VR"?

Hi, Everyone. I'm trying to verify that Queen Victoria had a cypher of a "V" with a crown above it, not the usual "VR" with a crown.

The images below are from a shotgun made in 1869 by a French royal arms maker. The gun was purchased from a respected American collector whose guns have been displayed at the Metropolitan Museum. Provenance states that this gun was owned by Queen Victoria. I don't know whether Victoria placed the order for this shotgun or it was a gift (possibly from someone who got her cypher wrong!) Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

*Note that the cyphers on the gun and case use different "V" fonts.

victoriacypher2.jpg

victoriacypher1.jpg

Royal monogram i.d help

Hi all

just wondering if anyone can help me decipher this monogram , i have a set of these antique glasses which look to have the same royal monogram on each one.

thanks

Attachments

• SAM_2417.jpg
    SAM_2417.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 373
  • SAM_2413.jpg
    SAM_2413.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 297
  • SAM_2416.jpg
    SAM_2416.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 322
  • SAM_2414.jpg
    SAM_2414.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 310
Hi all

just wondering if anyone can help me decipher this monogram , i have a set of these antique glasses which look to have the same royal monogram on each one.

thanks

I was told it might be Austrian royalty monogram , but i have no idea..

Cavalry bit monogram help

This is on a cavalry bit. A period note said it was from Victorias stable.
817292184_o.jpg

The crowned W (of King Willem I of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg) has been splendidly restored on one of the most beautiful and elegant (if not THE most beautiful and elegant) gala glass-berlines still in royal use.

The crowned W on the overcloak of the coachman's seat

The Crown of the Netherlands is embroided

The awesomely elegant result: a stunning royal gala glass-berline from 1821 looking as sparkling new. The big crowned monogram on the coachman's seat and the royal coat-of-arms on the door leave no guessing who the passenger is...

Last edited:
Has anyone seen a cypher for either of the Wessex? I assume they have them.

They have a joint one but I have never seen a monogram for Edward or Sophie seperately. Their monogram isn't very nice to be fair - it looks like the Nazi symbol.

tumblr_mvqxhgESnb1rcj5xxo1_400.jpg

The difference between the realistic heraldic crown and the geometric monogram makes it looking a bit off-key. I wonder why Edward and Sophie have a "fantasy crown". It is not the correct heraldic crown for a Prince of the blood royal. It is also not a correct heraldic comital crown for an Earl.

The joint monogram of Edward and Sophie is clearly based on the letter styling used by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Edward has always done things a little differently. First son of a monarch in this dynasty going back to King George I not created a Duke.

Louise and James are styled and titled as the children of a non-royal earl. Its not surprising his and Sophie's monogram looks the way it does.

They have a joint one but I have never seen a monogram for Edward or Sophie seperately. Their monogram isn't very nice to be fair - it looks like the Nazi symbol.

tumblr_mvqxhgESnb1rcj5xxo1_400.jpg

to me this has always had an art deco feel and I do like it.

The joint monogram of Edward and Sophie is clearly based on the letter styling used by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

I hadn't thought of that but I just googled Wallis and Edward's and it is very similar to theirs.

I don't like Edward and Sophie's monogram and it only ever seems to be used on their Christmas cards as any correspondence from them has the Bagshot Park symbol on it, not their monogram. Sophie has the monogram on a necklace = image.

Last edited:
oh, they use monograms, I never knew that. It turns out to be an important bit of information for me however in case I come across one like those I'll be sure to leave it alone, like I would anyone elses. Someone said police use the royal ones too, over there, I didn't know that, that's a real valuable bit of info,thanks for the fyi. We married folks, we pick monograms for ourselves and put them on special things to us, too. I can appreciate the sentiment. Yet for them it is a marker that means official business the world should be aware of. I feel like that would be such an invasion of privacy. They handle having the world recognize their monogram well, personally, I wouldn't want mine known by everyone. I have sympathy for their invasion of privacy, but don't feel pity for them.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen an official, individual monogram for Princess Charlene? I know there's one for The Princess Charlene Foundation, but Albert's monogram for his foundation is not the same as his official monogram, so I don't want to assume that Charlene's is the same as the one used for her foundation.

Also, has anyone seen individual monograms for Felipe or Letizia?

Charlene's Is that one on her foundation. It is the same as what is on her stationary.

Back
Top Bottom