Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
If Stephanie follows the tradition, she will incorporate her family Coat of Arms into that of her future husband's.
The end result would probably be something like this.

Unmarried ladies usually have their Arms depicted on a lozenge and with a blue ribbon (symbol of spinsters). Once married, the Arms are depicted on a shield.
For example, the Duchess of Cambridge's family Coat of Arms were incorporated into that of Prince William's, creating this end result.

Last edited:
... saw the Coat of Arms and Crest of the House of de Lannoy which of course is the family of Countess Stephanie de Lannoy, soon to be bride of HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg...I must say it's magnificent, far more regal and impressive than that of the Grand-Ducal House. :)

1. de Lannoy Arms
2. de Lannoy Blazon
3. Luxembourg Lesser Arms
4. Luxembourg Royal Arms

Attachments

• de Lannoy Blazon.jpg
    de Lannoy Blazon.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 252
  • Luxembourg Lesser Arms.jpg
    Luxembourg Lesser Arms.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,314
  • Luxembourg Royal Arms.jpg
    Luxembourg Royal Arms.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 486
  • de Lannoy Arms.jpg
    de Lannoy Arms.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,258
AMAZING.

Thanks much, Warren! :flowers: The 2nd photo, or de Lannoy Blazon, is the one I was referring to as particularly beautiful.

Also, great information Artemisia-the photoshopped image of the combined de Lannoy/Nassau arms is quite impressive!

Last edited:
Probably because they aren't used that much, but also what should they use or create? The coats of arms are more impressive, if that's what you want. What are you expecting? And what is a good example of more imaginative?

A good example of imaginative can be found in the Danish Royal House, where a totally new cypher, different from Joachim's and Marie's individual monograms was created on the occasion of their wedding:

Joachim:
120px-Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Joachim_of_Denmark.svg.png

Marie:
57px-Royal_Monogram_of_Princess_Marie_of_Denmark.svg.png

Dual Cypher - Joachim and Marie:
68px-Dual_Cypher_of_Joachim_and_Marie_of_Denmark.svg.png

Same with Joachim and Alexandra:

Joachim:
120px-Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Joachim_of_Denmark.svg.png

Alexandra:
55px-Royal_Monogram_of_Princess_Alexandra_of_Denmark.svg.png

Dual Cypher - Joachim and Alexandra:
85px-Dual_Cypher_of_Joachim_and_Alexandra_of_Denmark.svg.png

Last edited:
I guess not every family has a brilliant designer like Queen Margerethe. :)

Yes, but with some of those Danish and Swedish designs if you didn't already know whose monogram it was you might struggle to figure them out. More especially so as time goes by.

Sorry, but some of those Danish ones just look wrong to me. Joachim's in particular looks like some sort of airline's logo.

Yes, but with some of those Danish and Swedish designs if you didn't already know whose monogram it was you might struggle to figure them out. More especially so as time goes by.
And these British ones is easier to understand?
75px-Dual_Cypher_of_Prince_Charles_and_Princess_Diana_of_Wales.svg.png

107px-Royal_Monogram_of_Queen_Adelaide_of_Great_Britain.svg.png

79px-Royal_Monogram_of_Queen_Anne_of_Great_Britain.svg.png

Last edited:
Why have a monogram and what is it's official purpose and use (I'm already aware of mongrams on bone china to celebrate royal weddings).

Why have a monogram and what is it's official purpose and use (I'm already aware of mongrams on bone china to celebrate royal weddings).

I don't know whether it's the official purpose of monograms or not, but they're mainly used on stationery, as letterhead, and as such for both private and official correspondence. When a lady-in-waiting/secretary writes on behalf of a Bristish royal, for instance, she/he writes on the same monogrammed stationery as the one the said royal uses for his private correspondence (I've seen this recently, on the occasion of Harry's jubilee tour, there was a girl who posted a typed letter she received from an official with Harry's monogram -- the girl had written to him and she posted a video showing the answer on youtube.) Stationery with individual monograms is used for individual correspondence, the one bearing the combined/wedding monogram is used when it's the couple who's writing. The Danish royals also use their wedding monograms on the cover of the order of service of the christenings of their children and on menus of banquets celebrating the couple's anniversaries (in the UK, as far as I know,they use their coat of arms instead.) Again in DK, we have Queen Margrethe's cypher as a monarch, for official correspondence (with the initials MR 2, Margrethe Regina the second), and another one depicting an M, used for her personal correspondence, then there's Prince Henrik's monogram and their wedding monogram, which also appears on menus when they celebrate their wedding jubilees. They also use their wedding monograms in wrought iron at the gates of castles, for example, Schackenborg had the combined monogram of Joachim and Alexandra on the gates, then it was replaced by the wedding monogram of Joachim and Marie after 2008.

Sorry, but some of those Danish ones just look wrong to me. Joachim's in particular looks like some sort of airline's logo.

LOL!! I completely agree. Bizarre, really!

Does anyone recognized this monogram?

These are military style brushes from the turn of the century. I figured they might belong to someone of importance. They are 100% ivory. The monogram reads R. H. R. with the first letter in reverse. Sorry for the bad pic in the middle. It reads "REAL IVORY" "MADE IN ENGLAND". If anyone knows anything about this, I would greatly appreciate the information.

Attachments

• brushes 030.jpg
    brushes 030.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 232
  • brushes 024.jpg
    brushes 024.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 189
  • brushes 031.jpg
    brushes 031.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Chances are that if the brushes belonged to an aristocrat a coronet of some sort would have been included above the initials as a matter of course.

British Monogram and Crown on silver

This is my first post and I hope I am doing it the correct way.
I recently purchased a piece of silver with a handle, at the top fo the handle is a monogram and crown. The piece is hallmarked with date letter for year 1881, and was originally retailed at White, Bond St., London. I have done some research, but have not been able to find an exact match.
Attached 2 pics, the first showing what I believe to be the front and the 2nd pic the back.
Any help in identifying the monogram would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Eddie

Attachments

• crown_f.jpg
    crown_f.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 271
  • crown_r.jpg
    crown_r.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 275
The crown is definitely the British crown of a "Child of a Sovereign". I can't imagine whose initials they could be, though.

Thank you

The crown is definitely the British crown of a "Child of a Sovereign". I can't imagine whose initials they could be, though.

Thank you for your reply it gives me hope the mystery will one day be figured out. I was reasonably satisfied with it being British. I however can not decipher the monogram itself. First I thought 2 Cs front and reversed, then C & O, and lastly G and G in reverse. The center character on the other hand is one I absolutely no idea or guess. I do like a good mystery, so will continue the search. Once more, thank you.

Eddie

Looks royal to me

This is a monogram WR with three plumed crown on a Bing & Grondahl porcelain dish, made in Denmark sometime between 1914 and 1947. Can anyone help me identify this? Thank you so much!

I'm a first time poster. :)

Attachments

• DSCF4263.jpgyes.jpg
    DSCF4263.jpgyes.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCF4264.jpg
    DSCF4264.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 253
This is a monogram WR with three plumed crown on a Bing & Grondahl porcelain dish, made in Denmark sometime between 1914 and 1947. Can anyone help me identify this? Thank you so much!

I'm a first time poster. :)
Welcome to the Royal Forums. The plumed crown seems to be the Prince of Wales's feathers, Prince of Wales's feathers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The prince of Wales between 1914 and 1937 was the future king Edward VIII, later the duke of Windsor. I wouldn't think that the dish was made for him personally, but rather for some organization, regiment or other that were connected to the Prince of Wales and was permitted to use the Prince of Wales's feathers as a part of their monogram.

At yesterday's funeral of Alix della Faille de Leverghem, Countess de Lannoy two officers were seen bearing the Coat of Arms of the de Lannoys with OBIIT printed across the top.

Could Warren or some other knowledgeable person translate what that was, or what it meant?

Thanks. :)

:previous:
OBIIT
is in Latin: it's the third-person singular perfect active indicative of obeo.
Obeo has several meanings but in its perfect active singular form it is translated as "he/she died".
If used on Coat of Arms, it indicates that a person who was entitled to use the Coat is dead. Usually, it is used for funerals and remembrance services only,

Last edited by a moderator:
Duchess of Cambridge Coat of Arms

The new website of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge finally shows Kate's coat of arms after the wedding. As far as I know there was no official announcement for the issuing of the Royal Warrant (as it was the case with Camilla back in July 2005).
The Queen personally approved the unique Coat of Arms for The Duchess of Cambridge by signing a Royal Warrant.
[...]
The Supporter assigned to The Duchess of Cambridge is a white hind, which has had continuing Royal connections in England since the 14th Century. The lion is the Supporter of The Duke of Cambridge’s Coat of Arms.
[...]
The white hind has had a long tradition of connections to the Royal Family in England since the fourteenth century. It was the Badge of Joan of Kent (c. 1328-1385), Princess of Wales, better known as the Fair Maid of Kent.

In 1467 an inventory of ornaments and relics at Westminster Abbey included a red altar-cloth and frontal with gold lions and white hinds for the altar of King Henry V. In 1529 King Henry VIII had three hinds carved amongst the eighteen beasts at Hampton Court. The white hind contrasts with the white hart, the favourite Badge of the Fair Maid of Kent’s son Richard II.

The hart or stag is the male red deer and the hind the female. A hind is a forest dweller and stands well next to a Shield where acorns are the principal feature.
Coat of Arms

Interesting that they chose the hind as a supporter.

Wikipedia has a better version of the coat of arms...
Reproduced here under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2

Attachments

• UK Cambridge Duchess 640 x 460.jpg
    UK Cambridge Duchess 640 x 460.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:
royal monogram identity?

Dear All,

I am new to the forum and I am trying to identify two monograms from two antique furniture. The first one is possibly 1690 or slightly later. It is on a Boulle marquetry wardrobe, possibly from Austria. The other is on a mirror, the monogram is in gilt bronze and I think it is maybe 1700, possibly German? See photos below, including some photoshop colouring to help

Both pieces belongs to two museums. I help them (volunteer) and unfortunately don't have any money to call the "experts". Any help would therefore be greatly appreciated (and credited if you want).

Many thanks for your help,

Yannick

Attachments

• monogram photoshop coloured.jpg
    monogram photoshop coloured.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 247
  • monogram, coloured.jpg
    monogram, coloured.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 643
  • monogram.jpg
    monogram.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 257
  • monogram, boulle wardrobe.jpg
    monogram, boulle wardrobe.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 245
Do you know if these are meant to be owner's marks or manufacturer's marks?
The reason is that the coronet/crown designs or representations seem somewhat dubious.

The first and third, with its three strawberry leaves, appears to be a bastardisation of a British Marquess coronet [image1] (ignoring the cap), except that it has two "pearls" rather than one between each strawberry leaf (the small balls on the uprights are called "pearls", although they are not). Many European and Asiatic coronets and crown bases share a similar pattern of fleur de lys-pearl-fleur de lys but I'm not aware of any coronet or crown base that has a fleur de lys-pearl-pearl-fleur de lys design.

The second and fourth resembles a British Earl's coronet [image 2] (minus the cap) but with one strawberry leaf less. This coronet forms the base of a faux Austrian [image 3] or Russian [image 4] Imperial Crown.

The Princely hats and crowns of the Germanic (Holy Roman Empire) states and families [images 5 & 6] bear very little resemblance to either of the coronet/crowns posted above.

Wikipedia has an excellent page on Heraldic Crowns but once again there is really nothing that comes close to resembling either. I'd suggest that even in the 1690s, any princely or aristocratic owner of the furniture would have a pretty good idea of the correct representation of their personal heraldic device but, to me, these two just seem to have little basis in reality.

Apart from that aspect, the central monograms or cyphers may well be genuine and accurate representations but I'm sorry I can't help in that area.

1. Coronet of British Marquess (regulated 1661 by Charles II)
2. Coronet of British Earl
(ditto)
3. Imperial Crown of Austria (made 1602 for Rudolf II)
4. Imperial Crown of Russia (made 1762 for Catherine the Great)
5. Holy Roman Empire Princely Hat
6. Holy Roman Empire Princely Crown

Attachments

• 1 British Marquess.svg.png
    1 British Marquess.svg.png
    8 KB · Views: 3,148
  • 2 British Earl.svg.png
    2 British Earl.svg.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 3,149
  • 3 Austria Imperial Crown.svg.png
    3 Austria Imperial Crown.svg.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 3,123
  • 4 Russian Imperial Crown.svg.png
    4 Russian Imperial Crown.svg.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,171
  • 5 HRE Princely Hat.svg.png
    5 HRE Princely Hat.svg.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,160
  • 6 HRE Princely Crown.svg.png
    6 HRE Princely Crown.svg.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 3,127
Last edited:
I was bored and drew up some cyphers in Illustrator for the future reigns of Charles and William. I'm hoping they each get their own unique cyphers and don't just do a derivative of the current EIIR cypher.

Obviously completely speculative, but what do you all think?

(I didn't draw any of the letters myself, they are from fonts.)

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 1.31.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 1.31.34 AM.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,974
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 1.32.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 1.32.13 AM.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 775
They are very nice!

I wonder if The Prince of Orange's monogram will change once he ascends the throne. I hope he does, I'm not a fan of it. Though the Dutch royal family does not use "R" for Rex/Regina so there is a chance it might stay.

100px-Royal_Monogram_of_Prince_Willem-Alexander_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

Back
Top Bottom