Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do British Royals apart from HM the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have monograms? I know that most members have their own arms based on the Royal arms and the Prince of Wales gets to use the 3 feathers sign.

The Scandinavian houses seem to have the most monograms and use them more widley.

I do not think that monograms in the British Royal Family are as carefully thought out or properly designed in the same way as the Scandinavian Royal Families. The lettering used for the monograms of Diana, Princess of Wales, Princes William and Prince Harry appear to be standard typeface/lettering available from most stationery designers. Basically, if you see a mongram with a "script" type letter and a crown on top you can bet it belongs to British Royalty!! The Duchess of Cornwall has I think a kind of floral/scroll design encircling her initial C, and I've seen this style before. Perhaps we British place more importance on Coats of Arms?

BTW, I think the most dramatic monogram belongs to Prince Joachim of Denmark - the stylized "J" with the crown placed in that position is quite unusual!

Need help to identify emblem

Hi,

Do you know what is this emblem ? If yes, your comment will be very appreciate.

It is a medal or Love Token with an emblem and i don't know what it is. Maybe a F or E with a C. It seems to have something like a crown on top of F or E. Date is somewhere 1850-1900.

Thank's for your comments.

Attachments

• Emblems.jpg
    Emblems.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 166
  • VictoriaToken.jpg
    VictoriaToken.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 187
How interestring.
It has the words Victoria and Canada stamped on it.
But i can't read the third word. :)

Hi,

I add another picture to have a better look of this Love Token or medal. Dei Gratia Regina... :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• VictoriaAlone.jpg
    VictoriaAlone.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 176
Is it possible that it's an old Canadian coin that's been altered? (Something like a "hobo nickel"?) Unfortunately that wouldn't help to identify what the logo is, though.

Does anyone know what Queen Elizabeth's monogram looked like before she became queen?
She and Prince Philip very likely had one together, right?

The most stylish monograms I have seen are indeed Scandinavian; I include with them the monograms of the Romanian royal family, which all take the form of a cross using the initial at north, south, east and west. I am sorry I do not have pictures to illustrate them.

Interestingly (for me) while clearing out a lumber room I cam across old magazines from the Victorian era; I saw in the personal classifieds of one 1860s publication several invitations to "exchange" monograms. Apparently they were printed and bought as one would collect picture post cards. One doesn't have to be royal or noble to have a monogram, though I assume it would be frowned upon if a commoner or non-armiger capped it with a coronet.

Help with identifying Russian cypher and monogram

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and would first like to say hello! I'm having a bit of trouble with identifying a Russian imperial monogram- it's not like any I have seen before. I collect imperial antiques and this is my third Russian goblet (along with a Nicholas II piece and a Catherine the Great tumbler). Unfortunately, this one is still eluding me. Any help would be most appreciated!

I have inserted two images for your viewing.
Thank you in advance!

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae303/SeverinsAntiques/BqE3SzQmkKGrHqMH-D8Eu0v5itBLuNW8-1.jpg

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae303/SeverinsAntiques/BqE3KkwWkKGrHqQH-DoEuZHZuVkqBLuNWp5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the help! I'm not entirely sure if it could be the Grand Duchess Marie's. Do you perhaps have a picture of it (I can't find one).

Thanks again!

Does any body knows if Prs. Caroline & Pr. Ernst-August of Hannover has a common monogram, and if... how does it looks like?

Anyone imagine how Charlene's monogram will look like? I mean, is there a possibility that it might look like Princess Caroline's? As they both have names starting with a C, Charlene's will be similar to Caroline's?

Newbie with question

Hi, a forum admin pointed me here, so I hope you can help me! I recently purchased a box lot of antique linens at auction. One napkin appears to have a royal monogram; I've shown it in my first attached pics. (Handsewn monogram with crown, perhaps a VF and the number 24 below; bull's head and sphinx woven into the fabric) In case it helps, there were two other sets of napkins in the same lot with the phrase "Per aspera ad astra" and a crown with other figures woven on them. A sample of those two sets is shown in my last two pics.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Susan

Attachments

• Monogram.3.jpg
    Monogram.3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 332
  • Monogram.5.jpg
    Monogram.5.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Monogram.1.jpg
    Monogram.1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Monogram.2.jpg
    Monogram.2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 386
This is the coat of arms of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (northern Germany), but I don't recognize the monogram. As for the F in the monogram, there were many Grand Dukes named Friedrich Franz...

Laura, thanks for the info. I should note that it's only an assumption that the monogram is connected to the two sets w/ the coat of arms. They were in the same estate, but I notice that the monogrammed napkin has a bull's head and sphinx rather than a lion and sphinx like the coat of arms. That's probably significant???

Perhaps someone else knows another piece of the puzzle...

Just realized the coat of arms has a bull after all -- rather than a lion. It was hard to see at first. ...So most likely all from the same place just not sure who the monogram belongs to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laura, thanks for the correction. This is all new to me -- obviously! ...Now if I can just figure out the monogram. :)

You're welcome, dznsln, on a second thought, this might well be the monogram of Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III (2 F's and an intertwined 3 in a strange, but not that uncommon in monograms, position), though I didn't manage to find online his monogram.

For the monogram fans, while searching, I've found this very interesting page with plenty of examples:
Thema:Monogramme - Numispedia

Yes, it's the cypher of King Frederick I of Sweden, but it's not exactly the same cypher as mine. Neither is this one ROYAL COPENHAGEN 1935-1960 King Frederik IX 25 Wedding - eBay (item 230435216127 end time Sep-07-10 07:53:32 PDT) but (especially if you take out the I for Ingrid) it has basic similarities. I'm wondering if perhaps there's another more recent than the 1700s that used my exact cypher. It's hard for me to believe that my napkin would really be almost 300 years old and in such fantastic condition. BUT I think we're onto something... Any more suggestions, anyone?

dznsln, I still think that the monogram on your napkins is formed by 2 F's and a 3 (in case of a sovereign's cypher) or an E (in case of a wedding monogram). This particular shape of F was very common in monograms dating from the late 1700's-mid 1800's, that's how you found those similarities with other people's cypher's. I'm quite sure the cypher belongs to somebody from the house of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, otherwise the coat of arms wouldn't be there, and one can clearly see that the mirrored F has an upper part that resembles a bull's horn - the bull being the symbol of Mecklenburg. My guess is that your lovely linen is around 150 years old.

OK, thank you very much for your input. One more question ... any idea what the 24 would signify? Perhaps the year?

I think the 24 could rather be a series number, as there were 24 napkins...

By doing a bit of search, I've found that there was a Friedrich Ludwig, Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1778-1819) who married Elena Pavlovna, Grand Duchess of Russia (1784-1803) in 1799.

What you have might well be part of their wedding trousseau...[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

scotlands royal motto is in defens (in defence) mary queen of scots personal motto was in the end is my begining :)

Can anyone identify the monograms in these photos?

Can anyone identify the monograms in these photos?

I recently photographed three English Royal monograms at Hampton Court Palace and one at the Guildhall in Windsor. I took these pictures because I was so rushed when I toured the palace that I thought I would use them as a reference for the other photos following them in order. Well, that didn't work as planned. I couldn't decipher the monograms well enough to determine which monarch they represent.

The Coat of Arms from the Guildhall is that of Queen Anne, (crowned in 1702). The monogram beneath it is either an A (for Anne) or a W (for William). If it is a W, then it represents William III who died in 1702.

Thank you.
Dross001

Attachments

• IMG00305-20100906-1251 (2).jpg
    IMG00305-20100906-1251 (2).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20000107_031822 (2) Door Lock - on side - Hampton Court.jpg
    IMG_20000107_031822 (2) Door Lock - on side - Hampton Court.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_20000107_032700 (2).jpg
    IMG_20000107_032700 (2).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 402