The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Unidentified Monogram

Hello, ALL,

I am a new member to this forum. I am a history enthusiast and and a member of a reenactment group called the Great War Historical Society. My main interest and regiment I portray is the Bavarian 2. Chevaleguer "Thurn und Taxis". I have been researhing an original Chevaleguer Pikelhaube (Spiked Helmet) that has a monogram on the silk lining. So far, I cannot identify it. Would anyone know who's monogram this is?
Chevaleguer Monogram Photo by Christopher_Laguna | Photobucket

Old 06-09-2014, 04:40 AM
Majesty

princess leonores monogram

Monogram och vapensköld - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Nobility

Here is a letter from Prince Michael of Kent with his personal arms his signature.

http://www.vectorfineart.co.uk/_imag...ian/letter.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	letter.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	291691  
Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Has anyone seen a cypher for either of the Wessex? I assume they have them.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Cypher / Monogram cursive V under crown

Hello all
This cypher is on what appears to be an early to mid 19 Century British pattern of cavalry sword. It reminds me of the English gunmaker's V under Crown but it isn't. It is really annoying me, as I have seen this cypher before but can not remember where .

Anyone recognize it? It would need to date 1821-1860 or thereabouts.

Thanks
Travlur
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crown-over-v-cypher.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	292204  
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 AM

Queen Victoria Cypher with a crowned "V", not a crowned "VR"?

Hi, Everyone. I'm trying to verify that Queen Victoria had a cypher of a "V" with a crown above it, not the usual "VR" with a crown.

The images below are from a shotgun made in 1869 by a French royal arms maker. The gun was purchased from a respected American collector whose guns have been displayed at the Metropolitan Museum. Provenance states that this gun was owned by Queen Victoria. I don't know whether Victoria placed the order for this shotgun or it was a gift (possibly from someone who got her cypher wrong!) Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

*Note that the cyphers on the gun and case use different "V" fonts.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM

Royal monogram i.d help

Hi all

just wondering if anyone can help me decipher this monogram , i have a set of these antique glasses which look to have the same royal monogram on each one.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2417.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	293358   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2413.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	293359   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2416.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	293360   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2414.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	293361  

Old 02-19-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyoung1234 View Post
Hi all

just wondering if anyone can help me decipher this monogram , i have a set of these antique glasses which look to have the same royal monogram on each one.

thanks
I was told it might be Austrian royalty monogram , but i have no idea..
Old 02-21-2015, 04:04 PM

Cavalry bit monogram help

This is on a cavalry bit. A period note said it was from Victorias stable.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The crowned W (of King Willem I of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg) has been splendidly restored on one of the most beautiful and elegant (if not THE most beautiful and elegant) gala glass-berlines still in royal use.

The crowned W on the overcloak of the coachman's seat

The Crown of the Netherlands is embroided

The awesomely elegant result: a stunning royal gala glass-berline from 1821 looking as sparkling new. The big crowned monogram on the coachman's seat and the royal coat-of-arms on the door leave no guessing who the passenger is...
Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbellar View Post
Has anyone seen a cypher for either of the Wessex? I assume they have them.
They have a joint one but I have never seen a monogram for Edward or Sophie seperately. Their monogram isn't very nice to be fair - it looks like the Nazi symbol.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

The difference between the realistic heraldic crown and the geometric monogram makes it looking a bit off-key. I wonder why Edward and Sophie have a "fantasy crown". It is not the correct heraldic crown for a Prince of the blood royal. It is also not a correct heraldic comital crown for an Earl.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

The joint monogram of Edward and Sophie is clearly based on the letter styling used by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Royal Highness

Edward has always done things a little differently. First son of a monarch in this dynasty going back to King George I not created a Duke.

Louise and James are styled and titled as the children of a non-royal earl. Its not surprising his and Sophie's monogram looks the way it does.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
They have a joint one but I have never seen a monogram for Edward or Sophie seperately. Their monogram isn't very nice to be fair - it looks like the Nazi symbol.

to me this has always had an art deco feel and I do like it.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
The joint monogram of Edward and Sophie is clearly based on the letter styling used by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
I hadn't thought of that but I just googled Wallis and Edward's and it is very similar to theirs.

I don't like Edward and Sophie's monogram and it only ever seems to be used on their Christmas cards as any correspondence from them has the Bagshot Park symbol on it, not their monogram. Sophie has the monogram on a necklace = image.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Aristocracy

oh, they use monograms, I never knew that. It turns out to be an important bit of information for me however in case I come across one like those I'll be sure to leave it alone, like I would anyone elses. Someone said police use the royal ones too, over there, I didn't know that, that's a real valuable bit of info,thanks for the fyi. We married folks, we pick monograms for ourselves and put them on special things to us, too. I can appreciate the sentiment. Yet for them it is a marker that means official business the world should be aware of. I feel like that would be such an invasion of privacy. They handle having the world recognize their monogram well, personally, I wouldn't want mine known by everyone. I have sympathy for their invasion of privacy, but don't feel pity for them.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Commoner

Has anyone seen an official, individual monogram for Princess Charlene? I know there's one for The Princess Charlene Foundation, but Albert's monogram for his foundation is not the same as his official monogram, so I don't want to assume that Charlene's is the same as the one used for her foundation.

Also, has anyone seen individual monograms for Felipe or Letizia?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Courtier

Charlene's Is that one on her foundation. It is the same as what is on her stationary.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshouse View Post
Has anyone seen an official, individual monogram for Princess Charlene? I know there's one for The Princess Charlene Foundation, but Albert's monogram for his foundation is not the same as his official monogram, so I don't want to assume that Charlene's is the same as the one used for her foundation.

Also, has anyone seen individual monograms for Felipe or Letizia?
I've only ever seen the Dual Cypher of Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco.

Felipe and Letizia of Spain.

Tags
british royal family, british royals, cypher, duchess of york, monogram, nicholas ii, royal coat of arms, russian imperial, sarah ferguson