Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,
I have recently come across this cypher and I have looked everywhere but cannot find who it belongs to. Can any of you experts help me please?

Many Thanks

I think it's a 2 C's and 2 S's. Maybe Carl (Gustaf) and Silvia?

cdm said:
I think it's a 2 C's and 2 S's. Maybe Carl (Gustaf) and Silvia?

Actually this is the cypher of the king and queen of Sweden Gustaf XVI gustaf and Silvia

Attachments

• image-2200418570.png
    image-2200418570.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,145
Mariann said:
Hello,
I have recently come across this cypher and I have looked everywhere but cannot find who it belongs to. Can any of you experts help me please? Many Thanks
It looks close to the cypher of king Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark

Attachments

• image-1645579483.png
    image-1645579483.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,146
Last edited by a moderator:
Who's this cypher ?

Hi,
Somebody could help me ? I'm looking for the owner of this cypher (photograph). The date is about 1860 or anterior. Have you an idea ?
Thank you very much for your help an welcome !

Attachments

• montreiniciales.jpg
    montreiniciales.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 341
:previous:
It's the British Royal Coat of Arms.

Yes, I know. But I want to know also the inicials on the bottom.
Thanks !

W.R. or M.R. ? R most certainly standing for Rex which is Latin for King

Hello,

I own an original English two-handed great sword, ca. 1550-80, with markings on blade, as shown on pics.
Please, would you know such Coat-of-Arms ?
I have been told that the sword came from a castle in Yorkshire...and that on this Coat-of-Arms there are: the three passing lions, the three French Fleurs de Lys, the kingdom of Jerusalem, and the Old Bourgogne.

Any information on the markings are welcome.

Thanks,
jm

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 282
Additional pics (reverse blade markings)

Other pics, also showing reverse blade markings

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 243
Hi,
Somebody could help me ? I'm looking for the owner of this cypher (photograph). The date is about 1860 or anterior. Have you an idea ?
Thank you very much for your help an welcome !
The arms are those of the United Kingdom, and as stated earlier, the "R" stands for "Regnant," used only by sovereign, or "reigning" monarchs. Given the age and the monogram, I would say that it most definitely represents King William IV, who reigned from 1830 to 1837.

Bmw? Wmb?

Can anyone tell me what this monogram says and can just anyone choose to use the "order of the garter" symbol around their monogram? This porcelain is beautiful with lots of gilt. It has an EPAIG backstamp that is c1934 (I think). Any idea to whom this cypher might have belonged?

Attachments

• yhst-92442316395819_2181_17962212.jpeg
    yhst-92442316395819_2181_17962212.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 315
  • yhst-92442316395819_2181_18136410.jpeg
    yhst-92442316395819_2181_18136410.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 345
It is just a representation of a garter or belt; it is not a copy of the Order of the Garter garter.

v Order of the Garter

Attachments

• UK Garter.jpg
    UK Garter.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 940
Warren, you're amazing. While I have no cyphers to show you, I'm amazed at how helpful you are at identifying the ones posted here (and often, to very little applause!)

Did a motto for the greek monarchy exist, and yes, what was it?

Austia under the Habsburgs:

“Austriae est imperare orbi universo,” abbreviated to AEIOU: “It is for Austria to command the whole world.”

They also had this motto:

"Bella gerant alii, tu felix Austria, nube!" which means: "Wars may be led by others - you, happy Austria, marry!"

I am not sure when they changed it though.
First of all each Habsburg Emperor had its own motto! Franz Joseph I. had "viribus unitis" which can be translated as "with combined forces". Empress Maria Theresia had "Justitia and Clementia" - Justice and clemency.

Second as far as AEIOU is concerned - Emperor Friedrich III had the habit of decorate all important buildings with these 5 letters. Till today it is not know for what it really stands, there a several theories concerning the meaning (Friedrich III was interested in alchemy by the way) and the most common is "Alles Erdreich ist Österreich untertan" which can be very freely translated as "It is for Austria to command the world" A better translated version would be "All parts of the world are subordinated to Austria". Personally I still doubt this theory if it would have been Emperor Karl V. then it would fit but not with Friedrich III. So far this is all just speculation.

And third as far as "bella gerant alii, etc." is concerned nobody knows where this term comes from. It was certainly not a personal motto of any of the Habsburgs BUT it was attributed to them by later historians because of their fortunate marriage policy. Generally it was first used when talking about Emperor Maximilian I. and later with Empress Maria Theresia. Since then it was always considered as some sort of "family motto" although the Habsburgs don't have such a thing (or at least not an official one) and what's more the Habsburgs themselves never used "bella gerant alii", it was only attributed by historians and contemporaries when talking about the marriage policy of the dynasty.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a property that has an interesting lamp and post that I've been told originally came from a royal estate in England. The lamp itself is topped with a crown and the base of the post is stamped with what appears to be "RXR IV" set under a crown. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? ...or where I might find further information about these initials? I've noticed similar [iron] posts w/ ER II in England today; in reference to the current Queen. Any help/direction would be wonderful- Thanks!

I'm not sure if this link works, but the link includes a picture of what I'm talking about...
Photos of The Royal Forums | Facebook

:previous:
It appears to be George IV (reigned 1820-1830).

Cypher for le Comte de St. Germain

I have puzzled on the cypher for le Comte de St. Germain and am not sure how to interpret it. Is that a capital "C" followed by a "T" and a "W"? Or is that a string of capital Ss, ie: Supreme, Sovereign, Serene, etc?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-16 at 12.26.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-12-16 at 12.26.22 AM.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 321
It is interesting that at the end of the word Germain, there are approximately the same signs as after the "C", only less, though.

St Germain Cypher

It is interesting that at the end of the word Germain, there are approximately the same signs as after the "C", only less, though.

Yes, he seems to bookend his signature in this way. Another example, inscribed for Lady Brown on a collection of arias he composed, omits the CSSS altogether, and replaces them with four underline marks. He concludes with what appears to be a C and an S or perhaps just an S. It's hard to say.

Order of the Garter painted panel

Trying to gather some information regarding this Order of the Garter painted panel pictured. The panel measures 5'9" tall and 20 1/2" wide. I believe the frame is oak and the painted surface appears to be leather. Any information regarding this piece would be appreciated.

Attachments

• House 028.jpg
    House 028.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 296
I just love them all they all seem to have their own design. And isn't there usually someone in charge of designing the royal cyphers?
I just love them all. Isn't someone in charge of designing a royal cypher?

Help identify crown, please?

Could anyone identify the crown, please? (see attachment)

Is it in any way related to royalty?

I am particularly curious about the little ring on the right.

Thank you.

Calif

Attachments

• crownfinal.jpg
    crownfinal.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 294
Help with monogram

I'm new to this forum but really enjoyed getting "lost" in the various threads.

I need help identifying the attached monogram. I believe it is English with the initials VAR. It was made approximately 1700 to 1710 perhaps as some sort of commemorative. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Monogram.jpg
    Monogram.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 446
Hello and welcome to the forums. As a guess, maybe Victoria Regina and Albert?

Victoria and Albert would be too late, but appreciate the quick response! I thought maybe Queen Anne who ascended to the throne in 1702 but I can't locate a monogram to confirm. Nor do I know what the "V" would stand for. "AR" perhaps Anne Regina ?

Oh, duh, read your post so quickly that I skimmed over the dates. Hopefully someone will be able to identify this for you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom