Royal Courtiers, Ladies in Waiting, Staff, etc

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lord Sosnowitz

Aristocracy
City
Budapest
Country
Hungary
Do you know some informations about lady-in-waitings, adjutants, aid-de-camps, chamberlains?

Which royals have got aid-de-camps, lady-in-waitings?
Their names? Their functions?

The Lord Chamberlain
The Master of Ceremonies
Master of the Royal Hunt

In Norway, Denmark, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, etc...

Last edited:
In Denmark:

The Lord Chamberlain: The Lord Chamberlain is Chief Administrative Officer of the Royal Household-Ambassador Ove Ullerup

The Master of Ceremonies: The Master of Ceremonies is organising state visits and official parties- Lieutenant-Colonel Christian Eugen-Olsen

Treasurer of the Royal Household: Manage The Office of Treasury- Mr Søren Kruse

Master of the Royal Stables: He manage The Royal Stables (horses, coaches, vehicles)- Major Michael Mentz

Master of the Royal Hunt: The Master of the Royal Hunt constitutes the formal link between The Queen and the state forests and organises the Royal Hunts in the state forests- Mr. Klaus Waage Sørensen

Chaplain: The Queen’s Chaplain-in-Ordinary is in charge of the Royal Family’s personal pastoral care and is also the Royal Family’s private priest- Professor, Christian Thodberg, Dr.Phil

Aide-de-Camps: assists Her Majesty and accompanies her on official visits and travel Occasionally, an Adjutant is attached to other members of the Royal Family-
Major Ernst Højgaard Clausen, Aide-de-Camp to HM The Queen
Commander Peter S. Stamp, Aide-de-Camp to HM The Queen
Major Hans Jørgen Andersen, Aide-de-Camp to HM The Queen
Major Thomas Nymand Bork, Aide-de-Camp to HM The Queen
Commander Jens Vester, Aide-de-Camp to HM The Queen
Major Michael de Voss, Aide-de-Camp to HM The Queen

Lady-in-Waiting: assists Her Majesty and accompanies her on official visits and travel-
Wava Kitty Countess Armfelt, Chamberlaine, Lady-in-Waiting to HM The Queen
Mrs Marianne Boel, Lady-in-Waiting to HM The Queen
Mrs Ane Vibeke Foss, Lady-in-Waiting to HM The Queen
Mrs Camilla Castenskiold, Lady-in-Waiting to HM The Queen
Mrs Annette de Scheel, Lady-in-Waiting to HM The Queen
Ms Christine Lyng, Lady-in-Waiting to HRH Princess Alexandra
Countess Karin af Rosenborg, Lady-in-Waiting to HRH Princess Benedikte

Chamberlain: I think it is just a ceremonial title, but I don't know it exactly

Um...what exactly do Ladies-In-Waiting and Aide-de-Camps and those other people do? how was they selected? are they royals as well?

I think, Lady-in-Waitings for the female members of the royal family appoint by The Queen.

I believe lady-in-waitings are helping the queen/princess with their duties :)

I think, royals & aristocrats, however I think all Lady-in-waitings have to be noble.
For example Countess of Rosenborg, Lady-in-Waiting to Princess Benedikt

In Sweden:

The Marshal of the Realm: is responsible for contacts with the Government and Riksdag (parliament) and conducts preparatory negotiations concerning state visits.

The Mistress of the Robes: who participates in state visits in Sweden and in other ceremonies as decided by the King

Assist at state visits, audiences, official dinners and other major events within the Royal Court: he First Master of Ceremonies, the Master of Ceremonies, the Deputy Master of Ceremonies, Lords-in-Waiting and Chamberlains

Planning and conduct of state visits. A Marshal of the Court assists the First Marshal, Court Secretaries a Lady Housekeeper and Court Registrars.

First Lady of The Court: prepares and conducts the Queen's official and private programmes, attends to her correspondence.

Three Lady-in-Waiting.

the Crown Equerry: providing horse-drawn and motorised transport for the Royal Family and the Royal Court, as well as looking after the horses, motor vehicles and carriages. Responsibilities also include the management, care and maintenance of carriages and other equipment of historic interest, as well as their display to the general public.

Pics

1. Lady-in-Waiting in court dress, Sweden
2. Deputy Marshal of The Diplomatic Corps, UK
3. Lord Great Chamberlain, Marquis of Cholmondeley, UK

Attachments

• Lady-in-waiting in court dress.jpg
    Lady-in-waiting in court dress.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Marshal of the diplomatic corps.jpg
    Marshal of the diplomatic corps.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,407
  • AADS004058.jpg
    AADS004058.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Who are the ladies in waiting, et all for HRH Crown Princess of Denmark?

How about the Luxembourg ladies?

How about HM Queen Anna Maria of Greece? I know its far off, but, does she have any assisstants? Does MC pay someone to help her out as well?

In this picture you can see the Swedish Royal Court's dress much better, I believe that the Swedish Royal Court are the only or one of a few courts left to still carry on the tradition of a Court Dress.

The lady in the picture is Elisabeth Palmstierna and she is a Marshall of The Court.

Attachments

• ella.jpg
    ella.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,359
Last edited:
hillary_nugent said:
Um...what exactly do Ladies-In-Waiting and Aide-de-Camps and those other people do? how was they selected? are they royals as well?

Ladies in Waiting are sort of like assistants, I believe. They keep track of scheduled appointments for princesses and if, for example, they have two scheduled appointments in a day they make sure that the princess isn't delayed from one appointment to the next. I imagine that they might also book appointments, royal duties, interviews, etc. for their respective princesses.

The lady with the short silver/grey hair and glasses is Victoria of Sweden's lady in waiting. Considering her role and the amount of duties she carries out Victoria likely has more than one, but I believe this lady (not sure of her name) is her main lady in waiting.

victoria-1.jpg

victoria-2.jpg

The lady in the pink dress next to King Constantine is Mary's appointed lady in waiting.
COLOUR10034908.jpg

The woman in the picture is NOT Crown Princess Victoria's lady-in-waiting - she is Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg and is the Director of The Royal Information and Press Department AND Crown Princess Victoria's mentor - this is why she is seen around her so much.

Alexandria said:
The lady with the short silver/grey hair and glasses is Victoria of Sweden's lady in waiting. Considering her role and the amount of duties she carries out Victoria likely has more than one, but I believe this lady (not sure of her name) is her main lady in waiting.

Attachments

• Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.jpg
    Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 6,966
Last edited:
GrandDuchess said:
The woman in the picture is NOT Crown Princess Victoria's lady-in-waiting - she is Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg and is the Director of The Royal Information and Press Department AND Crown Princess Victoria's mentor - this is why she is seen around her so much.

I am sorry for the error. This woman seems to be everywhere Victoria went so I made the presumption, which was erroneous of me. Does Victoria have a lady in waiting then?

Yes, ETW (as we call her...) is almost like a shadow to Crown Princess Victoria, so it can't be easy to always know who she is :D ...

I'm not 100% sure, but as much as I know - Victoria doesn't have a lady-in-waiting yet, I suppose they'll wait to appoint one to her until she starts her own family.

The Queen has three lady-in-waiting's, and Princess Lilian has Elisabeth Palmstierna, Marshall of The Court, as her personal confidant. She used to be Prince Bertil's own Court Marshall, and when he died, she has remained at Princess Lilian's side.

Alexandria said:
I am sorry for the error. This woman seems to be everywhere Victoria went so I made the presumption, which was erroneous of me. Does Victoria have a lady in waiting then?

Last edited:
can somebody explain please what is a lady-in-waiting, an aid-de-camps or a chamberlain? they all seem to do nearly the same job, don't they? is there any specific occupation for these categories?

has this type of job changed with the time? did it exist in the medieval times, for example? it sounds to me quite passé...

Last edited:
ladies in waiting

do the royals have ladies(gentlemen)in waiting? if so, are their duties the same as older days, such as helping royals dress and living in the royal homes etc?

for you

See this link:

Royal "right hands", this is my thread.
And after if you will read this thread, have got more quetion, write me!

What are the titles Chamberlain, lady-in-waiting, aide-de-camp etc. etc. in other languages???

For the Dutch (Nederlands) it's the following:

hofdame= lady-in-waiting (when married) or maid of honour (not married)
adjudant= aide-de-camp
kamerheer= chamberlain
kamerheer des konings= Lord of the Bedchamber
hofdignitaris= Lord Chamberlain
Commissaris der Koningin= Lord Lieutenant
hofmaarschalk= Lord Chamberlain
ceremoniemeester= master of the ceremonies
intendant= comptroller of the King's Household
Lakei= footmen
ordonnansofficier= aide-de-camp
stalmeester= master of the horse
penningmeester= treasurer
privé-secretaris= private secretary

Last edited:
Servants and people who work for the royal families

The royal courts have a lot of servants and another people who work for the royal families. Could anyone list these persons and their positions ?

Japan

Chief of Lay-in-waiting to the Empress.

Attachments

• Chief Lady-in-waiting to H.I.M. The Empress.jpg
    Chief Lady-in-waiting to H.I.M. The Empress.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 826
hillary_nugent said:
are the sercants paid by the government or the royal family?
In the Netherlands the ladies in waiting don´t get paid in money, the royal family sees it as a honor to work for them as a lady in waiting, besides the ladies are mostly untitled nobility, so I think they don´t need the cash..
The servants do get their money, paid by the royal family, but that money is actually of the government......

Security for members of the Royal House:
€ 39.000.000.(Via the budgets of the Ministries of Defense and the Interior)

300 civil servants working on the Kabinet der Koningin and mainly working for the Royal House on various departments:
€ 20.000.000.(Via the budgets of various Ministries)

crown princess victoria has gotten some new "right hand" people you can read about it at the swedish forum

Princess Diana had right hands and im not sure what another right hands?

Sara Boyce

Back
Top Bottom