Royal Children in Uniform

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morhange

Courtier
City
Springfield
Country
United States
I was looking at the pictures from the wedding thread for Prince Manuel of Bavaria and Princess Anna of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, I saw a couple photos of little Duke Carl-Theodor of Württemberg wearing a military uniform. It was really common in the pre- and during WWI eras, but now seems to be a part of history. So it's nice to see the little ones dressing up in their military clothes every once in a while, even if it is just for show.

Here's Carl-Theodor with his parents, Philipp and Marie Caroline:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=178286&d=1123726562

Anyone else have any pictures of modern (I say modern meaning post 1950s or 60s) royal children or teenagers wearing military uniforms?

I have seen pictures of Princess Caroline of Monaco's boys (Andrea most often, when Pierre was too young, but Pierre, too, as they got older) wearing military uniforms when they were very little, probably no older than about six or eight. It must have been National Day, or something like that. I'll see if I can find a link to them. Also, on the Jordanian forum, there is a picture of King Abdullah and Queen Rania's eldest son wearing a uniform while on a visit to the armed forces. I've also seen Prince Albert in a uniform when he was only about 4 or 5, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

It was very common for young princes to wear military uniforms up until the early-to-mid 1900's. Tsarevich Alexei of Russia often refused to wear anything but a sailor outfit, and when he was eleven, twelve, and thirteen, during WWI, he wore the military uniform of a private, and then a corporal, after his rank was raised. I wish that we could see royal children wearing them more often, but they may have stopped due to the increased cut down on child soldiers. I know this isn't much, but I hope it helped!

Worldroots.com

This site, Worldroots, has a bunch of pictures of Andrea when he was little. You can see some headshots of him in a military uniform, I think on the balcony of the palace. He was really cute, and I think very approriate for the day.

Worldroots.com

Here are some of Pierre from Worldroots, too. Pierre seemed to be dressed in sailor suits often when he was very, very little, and we have a couple of him in military uniform when he was older. When they have medals, were those counterfeit medals, or real honors given to them?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/591729-post83.html

The first picture in this set has King Abdullah and Prince Hussein wearing military uniforms while visiting the Army. Hussein looks very serious and focused on what he's doing. I can't tell if he's a real member of the army or an honorary member.

They are many piccs of the young Felipe of Spain, I imagine yet Infante Of Spain and not yet Prince of Asturias in uniform.

I think that it was according of the way of being at this time because I'm not sure that today a young Infante will be dressed in militray uniform.

Two examples:

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

( Hola Archives )

The last one that I know of Felipe's pic in military uniform

( thanks to hola )

To Morhange, Hi,

Do you undertand uniform only by miltary uniform or when you have think to this thread have you thaugh to regional uniform ?

Because as you know some of princely children wear or had wore regional or national uniform for such occasion as national day and so on?

This was posted in the Stephanie and her nieces and nephews thread in the Monaco forum. In the second to last picture, you can see a very young Andrea wearing a dress uniform, I think during National Day. Caroline may be pregnant with Pierre, I'm not sure.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/213890-post34.html

I loved the pics of Prince Felipe in uniform when little. He seems a REAL Prince wearing it...How a little solemn face he had!

Vanesa.

I thought about including national dress too, so that would also be nice :)

I know a lovely picture of the younger Princess Elisabeth of Hesse in traditional costume (as well as one of her aunts, Viktoria and Elisabeth when they little) I think little Elisabeth's costume is in a museum in Hesse now.

The Norwegian children (Marius, Ingrid, and Magnus) wear bunads every year for National Day on May 17. I also saw a picture of King Constantine of Greece and his sisters (now Queen Sofia of Spain and Irene) wearing what looked like National Dress. It's in the Greek thread.

I thought about including national dress too, so that would also be nice :)

I know a lovely picture of the younger Princess Elisabeth of Hesse in traditional costume (as well as one of her aunts, Viktoria and Elisabeth when they little) I think little Elisabeth's costume is in a museum in Hesse now.

I've seen the one of Elisabeth of Hesse in traditional dress, and it's a good picture. I've also seen the one of Victoria and Ella (is their younger brother Friedrich, or Frittie, in there as well? I can't remember.) Is there any of Alix of Hesse, who became the last Empress of Russia, in national dress as well? I can't remember ever seeing any of her.

Wasn't the poor boy drilled over and over again by his imposing father?

Back
Top Bottom