The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

^^^IMO Mathilde would be the logical choice as regent. She'd have the advice of King Albert if he was still alive. The same would apply to Maxima and Letizia as well in that they could have the advice of a former monarch if they were still living.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
As for Sweden, the Order of Succession says that if the monarch is incapable a member of the royal family who is in the order of succession and of age becomes regent (that is, at the moment Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine).

I believe that matter is regulated by the Instrument of Government, rather than the Act of Succession.

"Chapter 5 The Head of State

[...]

Article 3
If by reason of illness, foreign travel, or any other cause the King is prevented from carrying out his duties, then that member of the Royal Family under the valid order of succession who is not prevented therefrom shall take over and perform the duties of the Head of State in the capacity of temporary Regent.

Article 4
(1) Should the Royal Family become extinct, the Parliament shall appoint a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Parliament shall at the same time appoint a Deputy Regent.
(2) The same applies if the King dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet attained the age of twenty-five years
."

It is worth noting BTW that, unlike the previous Instrument of Government, the new Instrument of Government adopted in 1975 no longer says that the Swedish Parliament must elect a new king if the the Royal Family becomes extinct. Instead, the constitution only provides for a Regent to be appointed to perform the duties of Head of State "until further notice" (i.e. on a temporary basis). Some observers have interpreted that as an indication that, should the House of Bernadotte become extinct, Sweden would probably become a republic.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

In the Netherlands the regency has always been observed by the closest family:

1650-1668 - The Dowager Princess of Orange, born Princess Mary Henrietta Stuart, The Princess Royal, was Regentess for her underaged son Prince Willem III of Nassau, The Prince of Orange

1696-1707 - The Dowager Princess of Orange, born Princess Henriette Amalia von Anhalt-Dessau, was Regentess for her underaged son Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, The Prince of Orange

1759-1765 - The Dowager Princess of Orange, born Princess Marie-Luise von Hessen-Kassel, was Regentess for her underaged son Prince Willem IV of Nassau, The Prince of Orange

1751-1759 - The Dowager Princess of Orange, born Princess Anne of Great Britain and Hannover, The Princess Royal, was Regentess for her underaged son Prince Willem V of Nassau, The Prince of Orange

1890-1898 - The Dowager Queen of the Netherlands, born Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont, was Regentess for her underaged daughter Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau

1947 - Princess Juliana was Regentess for her mother Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau

1948 - Princess Juliana was Regentess for her mother Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau
Old 06-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
^^^IMO Mathilde would be the logical choice as regent. She'd have the advice of King Albert if he was still alive. The same would apply to Maxima and Letizia as well in that they could have the advice of a former monarch if they were still living.
I think Princess Astrid would make a better regent than Queen Mathilde as she seems to be more knowledgeable of state affairs. What do the Belgian posters think ?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think Princess Astrid would make a better regent than Queen Mathilde as she seems to be more knowledgeable of state affairs. What do the Belgian posters think ?
The state affairs are in hands of the ladies and gentlemen politicians. Queen Mathilde is the mother of the -then- underaged Queen Elisabeth. Without any doubt she will be appointed Regentess and not Princess Astrid.

Besides that, most likely (as always has been the case in neighbouring Netherlands) the interests of the underaged Sovereign will be in hands of a Board of Guardians. For an example, mama Máxima - being Regentess - will not be able to do any transaction which possibly will not be in the interest of her underaged daughter. I can imagine that also in Belgium the underaged Queen, guided by her mother the Regentess, will be "guarded" in a similar way.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

As others pointed out its interesting that should the need for a Regent arise now a days several European monarchies have abdicated Kings/Queens/Gran d Duke's to call upon. Whilst they might not act as Regent themselves they would be a good source of advice and guidance.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
As others pointed out its interesting that should the need for a Regent arise now a days several European monarchies have abdicated Kings/Queens/Gran d Duke's to call upon. Whilst they might not act as Regent themselves they would be a good source of advice and guidance.
In most cases the underaged Sovereign is guided and protected by a Board of Trustees, Governors, Guardians, give it a name, which has to be informed (and has to give consent) on almost everything. From the education of the young monarch to the management of his/her private assets. From leaving the country to the decision to purchase a nice artwork for the collection. From the appointment of a new Treasurer to the design of the young monarch's new Coat-of-Arms. The Board will want to see that the interests of the young monarch are safeguarded.

This means that the Regent (Regentess) simply acts as the (largely ceremonial) representant of the minor head of state: receiving guests of State, signing Acts and Royal Decrees (in the name of the monarch), reading the Address from the Throne, invest new ministers and other high offices of state, "doing" state visits, etc. It is all largely ceremonial. The real power inside the regency lies in the largely invisible Board.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:15 AM

Question on Regency

Hello all, I am an author writing a book and I plan to have a regency in it. Though I have no idea of how/when a regency is used beyond that the monarch is dead and their heir is unable for whatever reason to rule. In this case though it is due to the heir being under the age of 18.
(also I apologize if this is in the wrong place if it is, admin feel free to move it)
So my questions are:
1. How exactly would the regency work in terms of the heir being in his minority?
2. How would the heir and regent be addressed and styled?
3. Is there any protocol for a regent that I need to know of? (I like be accurate as possible and correct in terms and other various things)
4. How/when does the regent find out they are now the regent?
5. Is the heir still informed that the monarch is dead?
6. When does the coronation for the heir take place?
Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions and I thank you for replying to them.
Red Lotus.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:46 AM
Majesty

Depends on the country and period.

1) In modern times, and I think this roughly applies to all the European monarchies, a minor heir will have a guardian appointed (usually a close relation, like a surviving parent or an uncle/aunt) and a regent will be appointed to act on behalf of the heir, That would likely be the next adult in the line of succession and that most likely means an uncle/aunt.

2) The heir would be addressed according to the normal protocol i.e. crown prince/ss (or the equivalent title) XX and the regent with his/her usual title. Normally only documents would contain the title of regent.

3) As for protocol. Again, that depends on the country. And in regards to what?

4) When he/she is told presumably. Or read about in a magazine or see it on the news. The question is more when do the heir comprehend he/she is the next king/queen and what it means.

5) Unless the heir is an infant there is no reason not to tell her/him.

6) When he/she has come of age. In modern sense at the age of eighteen.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Royal Highness

In countries like Sweden or the Netherlands, and I suppose also in Belgium, the regent is chosen by the country's parliament and doesn't necessarily have to be the next adult in line to the throne. For example, if I am not mistaken, it has been decided in the Netherlands that, if Princess Amalia ascends the throne before turning 18, her mother, Queen Maxima, will serve as regent if available, as opposed to her uncle, prince Constantijn. I also believe that, in Spain, the constitution explicitly gives precedence to a surviving parent over the next adult in line to be the regent. Conversely, in the UK, I believe the law says the next adult in line automatically becomes the regent.

In summary, rules change from country to country and you may choose any of the aforementioned models for your novel.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

2) The heir would be addressed according to the normal protocol i.e. crown prince/ss (or the equivalent title) XX
That would be definitely the case in Belgium where, under the constitution, the heir does not ascend the throne until he/she actually takes the constitutional oath before a joint session of parliament, which he/she can only do after turning 18. However, in the UK, my understanding is that the heir by law automatically becomes king/queen once the throne is vacant. In that case, shouldn't he/she be addressed as "His/Her Majesty King/Queen xxx" even if, due to his/her age, the royal prerogative is being actually exercised by a regent ? Maybe the regular British posters could clarify that.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Maybe the regular British posters could clarify that.
Indeed that is the case, there is no period of time, [not even one second] when the throne is vacant in the UK, so the child is instantly 'Your Majesty' on the death of his/her predecessor.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
In countries like Sweden or the Netherlands, and I suppose also in Belgium, the regent is chosen by the country's parliament and doesn't necessarily have to be the next adult in line to the throne. For example, if I am not mistaken, it has been decided in the Netherlands that, if Princess Amalia ascends the throne before turning 18, her mother, Queen Maxima, will serve as regent if available, as opposed to her uncle, prince Constantijn. I also believe that, in Spain, the constitution explicitly gives precedence to a surviving parent over the next adult in line to be the regent. Conversely, in the UK, I believe the law says the next adult in line automatically becomes the regent.

In summary, rules change from country to country and you may choose any of the aforementioned models for your novel.
My understanding that the DoE was to be the regent for Charles instead of Margaret should something have happened to QEII.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
My understanding that the DoE was to be the regent for Charles instead of Margaret should something have happened to QEII.
That is correct. However, if I am not mistaken, an Act of Parliament was passed to effect this arrangement.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
That is correct. However, if I am not mistaken, an Act of Parliament was passed to effect this arrangement.

You are correct. In Britain, the rules regarding a regency have been law since the 1930s, so in order to amend them to make the DoE the regent Parliament had to be involved.

In other realms, though, the rules around regencies, where they exist, aren't always actual laws so they can be changed more easily.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

The regency act of 1937 established rules for a regency for future monarchs before they just pass a regency act when it was needed which was quite common from the early 1800s as their were underage heirs to William VI, Victoria and George V. George Vi and Elizabeth II had underage heirs at the beginning of their reigns. In 1953, another regency act was passed to make Philip the regent for underage Charles.

Charles doesn't have a underage heir so William could if he comes to the throne in the next 16 years. Potentially another act could be passed to make Catherine the regent instead of Harry like they did in 1953. I would think that if George was close to 18 that they would not bother with it. Per law, Catherine would be George's legal guardian during a regency for being under age if he was unmarried. While Harry would be the regent if no other laws were passed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In countries like Sweden or the Netherlands, and I suppose also in Belgium, the regent is chosen by the country's parliament and doesn't necessarily have to be the next adult in line to the throne. [...]
When King Willem-Alexander ascended to the throne (2013) there were even three separate Acts issued (and approved) around the regency:

Regency Act 2013
Regulates that HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands will be the Regentess until her daughter, the Queen, has reached the age of 18 years.
Regulates that in an event that also Princess Máxima has passed away, HRH Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands will be the Regent until his niece, the Queen, has reached the age of 18 years.

Act on the annual dotation to the Regent 2013
Regulates that the Regent(ess) will receive a part of the annual dotation to the Queen as an income.
Regulates that this income will be calculated (levelled) with the normal dotation which a Regent might receive as dowager to the late King.
Regulates that certain residences may be given at the disposal of the Regent(ess).

Act on the parental authority over the minor King 2013
Regulates that HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands has the parental authority over her daughter, the Queen.
Regulates that HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands also has the parental authority over other children born from the marriage of the late King.
Regulates that HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands will be advised by a Board of Trustees.
Regulates that the members said Board will be: the Vice-President of the Council of State, the President of the Auditory Chamber and the President of Supreme Court of Justice and two more members to be appointed by Royal Decree.
Regulates that a Secretary will be appointed and a secretariate will be created for the Board of Trustees.
Regulates the costs for the workings of this secretariate and the re-imbursement of the members of the Board of Trustees.
Regulates that the parental authority is limited concerning the properties which are owned by the (underaged) Queen.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Interesting. It's good to see it complete IMO. Hopefully it will never be needed.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:

You're right regarding the Spanish case (also the underage King/Queen is the King/Queen not Crown Prince(ss)), the regency scenario is outlined in the article 59 of the Constitution:

Art. 59
  1. In the event of the King being under age, the father or mother of the King or, in default thereof, the relative of legal age who is nearest in succession to the Crown, according to the order established in the Constitution, shall immediately assume the office of Regent, which he shall exercise during the King's minority.
  2. If the King becomes incapacitated for the exercise of his authority, and this incapacity is recognized by the Cortes Generales, the Crown Prince shall immediately assume the powers of the Regency, if he is of age. If he is not, the procedure outlined in the foregoing clause shall be followed until the coming of age of the Crown Prince.
  3. If there is no person entitled to assume the Regency, the latter shall consist of one, three or five persons.
  4. In order to exercise the Regency, it is necessary to be Spanish and legally of age.
  5. The Regency shall be exercised by constitutional mandate, and always on behalf of the King.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Commoner

manners

You do not ask the queen to retire. That is her decision.She is a sensible woman and will consider that when the time is right. I hope she lives to 105.She is the most fun of all the political figures over 50.She keeps the world young at heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post

Interesting question. I am not sure what the plans are for other countries.

but I got to wondering atter reading this if Queen Elizabeth lives to 101 like her Mother (not impossible but unlikely as one poster said). you really can't expect her to be a active monarch at that age like she is now and she is already starting to slow down a little bit. At what point would Prince Charles have to step in and act as Regent if she does live to 100? Woud it be by her 95th Birthday or after if she still living by then?