General Questions About Royalty and Monarchies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess_Beatrix said:
Is it really true that Prince Richard, husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark, once has been in love with the (then) Princess Beatrix of Holland?
I always thought they were just friends , but now I read in one of the threads that they have been a couple for a short time?
does anyone know?

That is the first time i have ever heard this storry

HRHAmy said:
Which King and Queen of a certain country had the most royal children? I know Britians Queen Elizabeth II was doing quite well with four but what other royal families had the most children, they can be the new generation or way back in history.:)

Well this generation:

QEII: 4 children
GD Henri: 5 children
Constantine: 5 kids (but 2 were born after he lost the throne so)
Simeon: 5 children, I'm wrong? Kubrat, Kyril, Konstantin, Kardam and Kalina

The rest of sovereigns have 2 (Norway and Denmark) or 3 (Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Monaco) children
Who was the royal who had 14 kids? it was way back on the time but I cannot remember:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Wasn't that King George III and Queen Charlotte? They had either 14 or 15 kids.

King George III and Queen Charlotte had 15 children but only 13 lived to be adults.

Princess_Beatrix said:
Is it really true that Prince Richard, husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark, once has been in love with the (then) Princess Beatrix of Holland?
I always thought they were just friends , but now I read in one of the threads that they have been a couple for a short time?
does anyone know?

It was suggested in several books about Queen B eatrix that Richard had his eyes set on her. They were not clear if it was because of love, or because of (family)ambitions. Then in the end a good friend of his (Claus von Amstberg) took the 'prize' away ;)

thanks skydragon. i wasn't sure if anyone would have an answer to that question. i appreciate your response.

Marengo said:
It was suggested in several books about Queen B eatrix that Richard had his eyes set on her. They were not clear if it was because of love, or because of (family)ambitions. Then in the end a good friend of his (Claus von Amstberg) took the 'prize' away ;)

thanks for the answer.
In fact I really cannot belive them both being a couple. ;)
Let this be their personal secret ^^

Royal Nightclubs

Anyone know anything about Au Bar or the JIC club ? They keep getting mentioned as clubs royals go to X

Shrinking Royals

I was watching Monarchy the other night and noticed how petite the Queen Elizabeth II is. Older pics of her when she was a young adult royal she looked a lot taller is that my imagination. Even her walk seems to have changed, she has a stoop as before she was always upright when walking. I know as we get older we do to some degree shrink. Has anyone else notice the queens height?

I was watching the DVD of the BBC series on 'The Royal Family at Work' from a few years ago and saw a segment on her 2007 visit to Washington. When she came out of the 4WD vehicle and walked over to the then-President and First Lady I thought, 'Wow, these camera angles are strange! The Queen isn't that short? Is she?' Although I don't think she was ever above-average in height.....

No, I have not noticed Queen Elizabeth shrinking, but I assume she has over the years due to her age and the undoubtably heavy burden upon her shoulders (hence the stoop?)! A friend of mine met Charles and Camilla at the Sandringham Flower Show a couple of years ago and was amazed at how small they both were. It seems that TV and photography makes you look taller than you really are.

Favorite Books of Royals

I know there's a thread like this somewhere for us members ourselves, but what about for the royals? Does anyone know what any of them like to read?

I know there's a thread like this somewhere for us members ourselves, but what about for the royals? Does anyone know what any of them like to read?

Well, Maura i know P. Caroline reads Stefan Zweig. As a matter of fact, she turned one of his books, " Twenty four hours in the life of a woman ", into a ballet piece that was performed in 1985 by Les Ballets de Montecarlo :books:

According to an interview some of the favorites of Princess Michael of Kent are:

Mary, Queen of Scots by Antonia Fraser
The brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
Queen Margot by Alexandre Dumas
One hundred years of solitude & Love in the times of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Oh, Dierna23, I'm happy to have heard that one of Princess Michael's favourite authors is Dostoevsky, he is one of my beloved authors!!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
where are these nightclubs and which royals go there? :)

What type medicines do the royals use?

Today I went to a hospital in which i read that the British Royals use Homeopathy medicine.

I want to know what type of medicines do the other royals take!

Europe's royals as climate activists

FT.com / Reportage - Europe's royals as climate activists

The Danish royal family, like royal families across Europe, has taken up the cause of environmental education and action with great conviction. Usually it is not sitting monarchs but heirs to the throne who have become involved, but involved they certainly are. Last year, the three heirs to Scandinavian thrones – Queen Margrethe’s son Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway – travelled to Greenland together to witness for themselves the effects of climate change.

European royals hold dinners, convene meetings of business leaders, open conferences, hold photo sessions in picturesque regions, set up foundations and make speeches urging planetary preservation. What’s more, their efforts are having some effect. Scores of businesses, cajoled by royals, have signed up to take action on greenhouse gas emissions, and environmental issues have made their way into some unlikely places, including the celebrity-filled pages of Heat and Hello! When any of the current generation of heirs ascends the throne, we can expect their gown to be – metaphorically at least – trimmed in green rather than ermine.

Royal Travel Passport and Visa

In one of my higher education class, a professor told us that the RC Pope don't need travel passport and visa. What about the members of the Royal families? Since they travel a lot. Do they need travel passport and visa? whose surnames are they using in filing up important official documents like visa and passport?

The Danish Royal Family has passports. I am not sure if they have two different sets, as they use Diplomatic passports on official travels? I am not sure if you need a visum if you have a dilomatic passport, or if you need one, it might be granted without a lot of hustle?

Attached a picture with late Princess Diana's passeport (she was still married). It is written at the cover just H.R.H. the Princes Wales. I do not know if thinks are still the same now.\\

25tj9s0.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/25tj9s0.jpg

Last edited:
:previous:I don't know how long she would have been able to use that passport. Generally, it has to be altered/updated when anything is changed.

FYI, as a British passport is issued in the name of Her Majesty, it is unnecessary for The Queen to possess one. All other members of the Royal Family, including The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales, have passports.

The Queen didn't have to have a passport in the past, but I read somewhere around the first of the year that the law had changed and now she also has one= is required to have one. Anyone else hear that?

When kings and queens meet fellow kings and queens do they say "Your Majesty" or call them by their name?

IloveCP said:
When kings and queens meet fellow kings and queens do they say "Your Majesty" or call them by their name?

Hey yeah I've wondered that too but most likely out of respect they must call themselves your majesties unless for some reason they'll call themselves afterwards my their first names.
"hello Carl how are you?"
"I am fine thank you how is your family Elizabeth?"
"they are all well thank you what about the children how is Victoria...?"
LOL

Royal Playhouses

A lot of little royals have/had their own house:

Queen Elizabeth's little house is called Y Bwthyn Bach and was a gift of the Welsh people:
A Wendy house fit for a Queen: The secrets and history of the tiny Welsh cottage in the grounds of Windsor where generations of royals have played | Mail Online

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=51.438...0Bwthyn%20Bach

The swedish Haga princesses and King Carl Gustaf and now little Estelle
Playhouse for King Carl XVI Gustav and his sisters they got of Grandfather King Gustav V in late 1940´s | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Playhouse i the garden og Haga Castle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A little cottage at Solliden Slott (but I'm not sure wether this is a playhouse or not)
Solliden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Princesses Margaretha, Martha (became Queen of Norway) and Astrid (became Queen of Belgium) first had a wooden yellow house and later a white plaster one at their home Villa Fridhem.
Lekstugearkivet/Archive for children's playhouses.htm
(you have to scroll down a bit)

The playhouse Queen Astrid of Belgium had built for Joséphine-Charlotte, Baudouin and Albert in the gardens of the Castle of Laeken after her own in Sweden. It was used to celebrate Princess Elisabeth's first birthday in 2002.
http://asp.gva.be/dossiers/-e/elisabeth/fotoE4.asp (scroll down a bit)

Princess Isabella of Denmark's little house at Fredensborg
Danish Royal Watchers: Isabella's new playhouse

Last edited:
I apologise in advance if this is the wrong thread. I have a question, I've read somewhere that Denmark, upon request offers diplomatic passports to agnatic (male-line) decendents of King Christian IX of Denmark

Lets just pretend the BRF is abolished, would The Duke of Cambridge as a member of the Royal House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and an agnatic decendent of Christian IX of Denmark be eligable for a diplomatic passport? What do people think of the Duke of Cambridge's chances of being offered a diplomatic passport?
Queen Margrethe II agnatic ancestors:

Christian IX > Frederick VIII > Christian X > Frederick IX > Margrethe II

The Duke of Cambridge's agnatic ancestors

Christian IX > William (George I of the Hellenes) > Prince Andrew >Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark > The Prince of Wales >The Duke of Cambridge

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom