Non-British Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this isn't a question about royal titles but it is about aristocratic titles. what determines whether a title is passed on from one generation to the next? are the titles that celebrities received from QEII just a curtesy thing or do their children inherit the titles? what about the titles of the men/women that govern the UK (i.e. house of lords, etc.).

List of Line Titles

Is there anywhere a list of titles that can or cannot be used in any royal house and line of succession?

what title would she have?

If a woman marrries a prince and he is killed then immediately after his parents are killed, what title would she have? I am writing a book and I wanted to know.

Well, depending on the set up, she'd remain HRH Princess X or become HRH Princess X, the Dowager Duchess of X if she had children. Thats if she has another title. But death doesnt matter, once she's in she's in.

Well, depending on the set up, she'd remain HRH Princess X or become HRH Princess X, the Dowager Duchess of X if she had children. Thats if she has another title. But death doesnt matter, once she's in she's in.

Yes but wouldn't she have to take over the country then, assuming the husbands parents were deceased as well, and the children too young?

Well, there might be a regency set up depending on the country's constitution.

In some countries a regent has to be a person in the line of succession, so a widowed spouse with young children might not be eligible, especially these days when princes are marrying commoners rather than princesses of other countries who might have blood ties to the monarchy into which they married. It depends on the country. I believe that at some point during Prince Charles's minority it was decided that Prince Philip rather than Princess Margaret would be regent, but I don't know if any laws had to be passed to accomplish that.

On the other hand, as a descendant of Queen Victoria through umpteen lines, Prince Philip is in the line of succession to the throne. In countries where the succession is limited to the descendants of the current monarch, things might be different. I also don't know whether the law (or whatever it was) that allowed Prince Philip to be Regent Designate would have meant that Diana (when she and Charles were still married) rather than Prince Andrew would have been regent if Prince William had become King during his minority.

Where exactly is Prince Philip in the line of succession for that matter?

Here is an example for the Original Question:

Miss Anne Elliott marries HRH The Prince Christopher (a younger son of the King) who hold the title of HRH The Duke of Axminster.

On her marriage Miss Elliott becomes HRH The Princess Christopher but is known as HRH The Duchess of Axminster.

She has a child HRH Prince Alexander of Axminster. Her husband is killed (and her brother in law the King's elder son becomes The King) and her son becomes HRH The Duke of Axminster.

Now the child is the Duke and is not yet married thus She remains HRH The Duchess of Axminster.

When her son marries she will the officially become HRH The Dowager Duchess of Axminster. however she may choose to be know as HRH Princess Anne, Duchess of Axminster or HRH The Princess Christopher, Duchess of Axminster.

This example works however if Anne had married the eldest son of a King or Queen she would have become HRH The Princess of Wales (if this story is set in The UK) or HRH The Crown Princess Christopher (or Anne depending on local custom). When her husband was killed she would keep her title. When the Parents were then killed her son would ascend the throne and she would be HRH The Princess Christopher and possibly regent (dependent on constitutional arrangements). The state could find another suitable title such as HRH The Princess Mother or she could be made HM The Queen Mother as she would have been Queen had here husband survived to gain the title though this is far streaching.

This question has many possibilities and we could go on for ever thinking of what titles she could be given.

Last edited:
Or, get the title of HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales....Ok, far fetched idea, I know!

Or, get the title of HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales....Ok, far fetched idea, I know!

I think this did exist once though I can't remember the details.

just curious

Hello members. I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question and forgive me if its not. Im curious. Do distant cousins of the King of Spain have titles? For example, say the King has cousins through ancient times that are non reigning. Would these people have titles today even though they are not direct blood to the King? Would they be allowed to carry titles legally in the present time or would they have to be given the titles by the King himself once they are indeed recognized as relatives? I keep thinking that there must be commoners that must be related and deserve the right to carry some form of title in the present, or are they not even considered relatives? I hope that I made sense. Thanks for any response. Merry Christmas all!!:flowers:

Hello members. I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question and forgive me if its not. Im curious. Do distant cousins of the King of Spain have titles? For example, say the King has cousins through ancient times that are non reigning. Would these people have titles today even though they are not direct blood to the King? Would they be allowed to carry titles legally in the present time or would they have to be given the titles by the King himself once they are indeed recognized as relatives? I keep thinking that there must be commoners that must be related and deserve the right to carry some form of title in the present, or are they not even considered relatives? I hope that I made sense. Thanks for any response. Merry Christmas all!!:flowers:
Maybe it help
Spanish Royal Family

spain

Thank you Magnik. That is great information. Let me give you an example though: Say I find out I am related to the house of Spain through my great grandfather who is related through a cousin of the King but my great grandfather doesnt have a title that we know of and we are trying to establish that now. Would we have the right to carry the title that belongs to my great grandfather or would we have to get permission and recognition from the King in order for it to be legal?:flowers:

Does anyone know what happens with titles and styles when twins or multiple births occur? What's the protocol if a Queen or a Crown Princess gives birth to twins? Who gets to be sovereign?

I have heard that the second born will get sovereign! So was that in the middle ages. This was so because they thought that the second born was the first made in the belly (sorry I don't know the right word!).

Another question: When HRH Crown Prince Haakon of Norway become king, will HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit than be HM Queen Mette or HM Queen Mette-Marit?

On the official site she is know as Crown Princess Mette-Marit, born Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby on 19 August 1973. So she will be HM Queen Mette-Marit. And Haakon will be HM King Haakon Magnus I think.
Documents relating to the Royal House of Norway

About twins:
I think that this one which will born first will be possible next king/queen. Of course depend of the successional law.

Furienna,

Diana, Princess of Wales, was not given any special treatment in regard to title after her marriage. It is standard practise for divorced wives of peers to use their first name followed by the former title. Diana's titles are as follows:

Prior to marriage: Lady Diana Spencer
During Marriage: Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales
After marriage: Diana, Princess of Wales

The same applies to commoners:

Jane Smith marries John Harris and becomes Mrs. John Harris (although commonly called "Jane Harris"). They divorce and she becomes Jane, Mrs. Harris.

Titles upon marriage

I am wondering if anyone has an idea about how a title would be handled in marriage between royals. Specifically the marriage of a female royal of a non-reigning house to a male royal of a reigning house. For example:

If HRH Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark married HRH Prince Felix of Luxembourg, what would her title be?

HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, Greece and Denmark? Or, since Luxembourg's monarchy is still reigning, would she just become HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, dropping the Greece and Denmark?

I believe it would generally be the latter. In your example, she is a Princess in her own right, thus would not lose that. But she would take her husband's title upon marriage, thus HRH Pss Theodora of Luxembourg.

Generally, the royal spouse takes on the title of the spouse who's title is highest, if that title is transferable. Some royals, most commonly those who are marrying future monarchs, will renounce or stop using their previous titles, usually as a sign of allegiance and fidelity to their new country.

For example, Her Royal Highness Princess Sophia of Greece, upon marrying His Royal Highness Prince Juan Carlos of Spain, adopted her new title as Princess of Spain, later Princess of Asturias and, now, Queen of Spain.

When Prince Philip of Greece decided to marry his distant cousin Princess Elizabeth of England it was decided that since she was to be queen of England, he should adopt her title. Philip then became the Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten. Upon his marriage he became Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. Later, upon the queen's decree, he was titled His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

A more rare circumstance is that of Princess Haya of Jordan and her husband, Sheik Mohammad bin Rashid al Maktoum. Haya, as technically the higher-ranking royal (she is a HRH, he is only an HH) kept her own styling as Her Royal Highness Princess Haya. This is rarer because not only is the higher ranked partner a female but also because he is the ruler of Dubai while she is only the younger sister of the king.

So, after that long-winded rambling, to answer your question, I expect that if HRH Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark was to marry HRH Prince Felix of Luxembourg she'd take his titles and styling. She'd probably be listed (at least by the media) as HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, neé Princess of Greece and Denmark

Thank you for the replies:flowers: You have confirmed what I suspected. I'm happy that today's royals are marrying for love over connections, but do they all have to marry commoners? lol :rolleyes: What a delight it would be to see a double royal wedding worthy of the old days!

I guess my next question would be, who would have the "home court advantage" for a wedding? Would it be held in the country of the reigning house or in whatever country the non-reigning princess resides in? I think it would be preferable to the people of the reigning country to be able to see one of their working royals marry at home.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies:flowers: You have confirmed what I suspected. I'm happy that today's royals are marrying for love over connections, but do they all have to marry commoners? lol :rolleyes: What a delight it would be to see a double royal wedding worthy of the old days!

I guess my next question would be, who would have the "home court advantage" for a wedding? Would it be held in the country of the reigning house or in whatever country the non-reigning princess resides in? I think it would be preferable to the people of the reigning country to be able to see one of their working royals marry at home.

It would depend on the situation, I would say. For example, Frederik IX and Ingrid married in Stockholm, Anne-Marie and Constantine married in Athens, Olav & Märtha married in Oslo, Astrid & Leopold married in Stockholm, Edward VII and Alexandra were married in Great Britain, Alexander III and Dagmar were married in Russia…

For example, Her Royal Highness Princess Sophia of Greece, upon marrying His Royal Highness Prince Juan Carlos of Spain, adopted her new title as Princess of Spain, later Princess of Asturias and, now, Queen of Spain.

I believe King Juan Carlos has never been called, or has never been given the title of, Prince of Asturias. The last Prince of Asturias was Prince Alfonso, son of Alfonso XIII. Juan Carlos never had the title due to the course of events leading to the exile of his family, and with his designation as "Prince of Spain" (not "of Asturias") and as next king by Franco, instead of inheriting it.

So Queen Sofia has never been Princess of Asturias.

RhapsodyBrat, you are correct. Princess Asturias has never applied to then Princess Sophia since her husband was never bestowed that title. Excluding Prince Felipe, Prince Alfonso was the last carrier of that title. He of course was the eldest child of King Alfonso XIII and Queen Ena.

It would depend on the situation, I would say. For example, Frederik IX and Ingrid married in Stockholm, Anne-Marie and Constantine married in Athens, Olav & Märtha married in Oslo, Astrid & Leopold married in Stockholm, Edward VII and Alexandra were married in Great Britain, Alexander III and Dagmar were married in Russia…

But with Léopold And Astrid there was an elegant solution found in that the civil marriage took place in Stockholm and the religious one in Brussels.

General one can san that in most cases the Wedding took place in the Home Country of the bride. For example Willem-Alexander was the first male dutch heir to marry in the Netherlans and the Wedding of Frederik and Mary was the first Crown Princely Wedding in Denmark since over 200 years.
Only seldom the Wedding took place in the Country of the groom (the marriages of members of the russian Imperial Family took almost all place in Russia for example.

Another example is that of Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein and Princess Margaretha of Luxemourg. She is HRH Princess Margaretha, Princess of Liechtenstein, Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau,Princess of Parma, Countess Rietberg. Does anybody know otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom