Non-British Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
HIllH is His/Her Illustrious Highness.

http://www.almanachdegotha.com/site/deaths.htm

Some of those dead royals and nobles used HIllH.
Not royals. Only Mediatised Counts have the style of HIllH.

HGDH (His or Her Grand Ducal Highness) is still used to this day by cadet members of the Grand Ducal House of Baden. The Margrave and the Hereditary Prince and Princess are HRH. (The Margravine of Baden is HI&RH because she was born an Archduchess of Austria.) There are about ten members of the family who are styled HGDH.

RoyalProtocol said:
The Title of Grand Ducal Highness was used in Luxemburg in the past but has fallen out of use. Hope this makes sense

Yeah, it was mentioned before, but the Luxembourg royals are HRH now, because of their connections to the Royal House of Parma. This came from the marriage of Grand Duchess Charlotte to some prince of Parma. Before that they were HGDH's.

Warren said:
Not royals. Only Mediatised Counts have the style of HIllH.

HGDH (His or Her Grand Ducal Highness) is still used to this day by cadet members of the Grand Ducal House of Baden. The Margrave and the Hereditary Prince and Princess are HRH. (The Margravine of Baden is HI&RH because she was born an Archduchess of Austria.) There are about ten members of the family who are styled HGDH.

Well I saw some Princes in that list that was HIllH.

They were non-Royal Mediatised nobles and not Princes of Royal Houses.. The same phenomenon occurs in the Russian nobility

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Bad news Toledo. The email returned to me. I guess he doesn't have that email anymore. :(

At least is good that he still has the site around.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Ah okay. How were medieval Barons addressed then? Also if a reigning Duke has a son, would he be called a Prince?

My friend, it's my mind that is going medieval with so many questions! ;)

I assume the rules of protocol to address aristocrats have changed quite a bit since the times of Monthy Python's Holy Grail. I do see your point on why the son of a person with a title that is not a King would have his kids being named 'princes'. I remember when I started discovering the differences between countries the surprise that in italy and France a non-royal 'prince' is considered one step down from a duke. Also, in Spain and Britain only one person has the title, while in many places in mainland Europe is shared within the family although the head of the family is the actual owner of the title.

Maybe some other TRF members want to join in and share their ideas, findings and knowledge with us here? :)

Hehe

;-) You were bombarded by so many questions huh? I call it that Q-Attack Formation.

But yeah, anyone else has any interesting info about all this?

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Well I saw some Princes in that list that was HIllH.
The Heads of a few of the Mediatised Comital Houses bear the title of Prince with the style of Serene Highness, but the rest of the family are Counts, Illustrious Highness. Most Heads of the Comital Houses though are Counts, HIllH.

Isn't it about time you started doing some research? All this stuff is on the Internet, waiting to be found. :)

Well

Well some of the Princes listed in that thing I gave were HIllH.

Well thanks guys.

Isn't it about time you started doing some research? All this stuff is on the Internet, waiting to be found. :)

Well I've done some research. But they were confusing. Wanted some clarification.

RoyalProtocol said:
It is to be noted that one should be careful when using the order of titles not to assume that ones title determines the order of precedence,

An emperor, King, Queen and Reigning Prince and Grand Duke all count as Sovereigns and should be ranked according to the Date of their accession not by their Title, likewise their family should be ranked according to thier relation to the Sovereign.

EG HM The Queen AND HSH Prince Albert II are of an Equal rank and do not bow or curtsey to each other,

The Princess Royal (HRH) however would be expected to curtsey to Albert II (HSH) even though his title is of a lesser rank than hers.

And HSH The Grand Duchess of Luxemburg would not be expected to Curtsey to The Prince of Wales (HRH) but he would be expected to bow (nod at least) to Her.

The King and Queen of Greece and The King and Queen of Romania are also still granted the Title of Majesty and bowed and curtseyed to by all nonSovereign Royals. Their Families are also addressed as HRH
The Grand Duchess of Luxemburg is not HSH. She's HRH.

Lyle said:
Yeah, it was mentioned before, but the Luxembourg royals are HRH now, because of their connections to the Royal House of Parma. This came from the marriage of Grand Duchess Charlotte to some prince of Parma. Before that they were HGDH's.
The Soverign Grand Duke and the Herdetary Grand Duke had the HRH style regardless of the Prince of Parma. All the rest of the family members had the HGDH style. After the marriage of the late Grand Duchess to the Prince of Parma, all his decendants have enjoyed the HRH style.

Hrh

hofburg said:
The Grand Duchess of Luxemburg is not HSH. She's HRH.

I have already explined above that this was I simple typing error and that I am quite aware that The Grand Duchess is Her Royal Highness and NOT Her Serene Highness.

Mathilde's Title

I read that Mathilde was awarded the title "Princess of Belgium" in her own right before her marriage, so if she divorced and re-married a commoner could she keep this title? Or is it conditional on her marriage to Philippe?

HRH The Duchess of Brabant, being a Roman Catholic, and married to a Roman Catholic, would never divorce, nor would Her Royal Highness re-marry should the marraige end by other means (such as the premature death of HRH The Duke of Brabant), which I am in no way wishing! However, in the hypothetical world, Her Royal Highness would revert to her noble title (as the daughter of [now] Count Patrick d'Udekem d'Acoz.

Question about a title?

Can anyone explain to me how HSH differs from HRH?

i do believe HRH is a higher rank than HSH. nowadays it doesn't matter as much, but HSH are meant to bow/curtsey to HRH. The ranking was very important in the victorian era. i also do believe that HSH is for members of a principality like for example monaco.

pinkylou said:
i do believe HRH is a higher rank than HSH. nowadays it doesn't matter as much, but HSH are meant to bow/curtsey to HRH. The ranking was very important in the victorian era. i also do believe that HSH is for members of a principality like for example monaco.
HRH and HSH are styles. HRH = a member of a Royal House; HSH = a member of a Princely House. HH comes in between.
An HSH Reigning Prince (eg Albert II of Monaco) ranks higher than a non-reigning HRH (eg the Prince of Wales, who is "just" the heir to a throne).

thank you for your replies.

Von Schlesian said:
HRH The Duchess of Brabant, being a Roman Catholic, and married to a Roman Catholic, would never divorce, nor would Her Royal Highness re-marry should the marraige end by other means (such as the premature death of HRH The Duke of Brabant), which I am in no way wishing! However, in the hypothetical world, Her Royal Highness would revert to her noble title (as the daughter of [now] Count Patrick d'Udekem d'Acoz.

why is that she wouldn't remarry in the event that he passes away? it's alright to re-marry in the roman catholic church in the event of the death of a spouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duchess said:
Why is that she wouldn't remarry in the event that he passes away? it's alright to re-marry in the roman catholic church in the event of the death of a spouse.
Maybe it's in the context of Mathilde remaining a Royal widow (in the case of Philippe's premature death) to raise the children to adulthood without any distractions or complications.

Another interesting thread... I never knew there were so many different styles.

Warren said:
Maybe it's in the context of Mathilde remaining a Royal widow (in the case of Philippe's premature death) to raise the children to adulthood without any distractions or complications.

thanks warren. i hadn't thought of that.

I believe that she would not remarry.

Do I remember correctly; that HM Queen Margrethe made Alexandra noble before her marriage? What title was she granted? Or was it another Royal House?

Duchess said:
thanks warren. i hadn't thought of that.
You may like to remember probably the most long-lived Royal widow, that being Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother - widowed for over 50 years. Even when suiters were knonw to have existed, Her Majesty remained ever devoted to the memory of the King, and to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

michelleq said:
I believe that she would not remarry.

Do I remember correctly; that HM Queen Margrethe made Alexandra noble before her marriage? What title was she granted? Or was it another Royal House?
Queen Margrethe made Alexandra a noble after the marriage failed. She is now HH Princess Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg. Should she remarry she would be Her Excellency the Countess of Frederiksborg. Or something like that.

Would she have been made a noble, if she hadn't become the mother of two princes?

Furienna said:
Would she have been made a noble, if she hadn't become the mother of two princes?
No-one here can answer that. You'd have to ask Queen Margrethe and see if she would answer "what if?" scenarios. :)

Von Schlesian said:
You may like to remember probably the most long-lived Royal widow, that being Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother - widowed for over 50 years. Even when suiters were knonw to have existed, Her Majesty remained ever devoted to the memory of the King, and to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

that's true but i wonder if it was a matter of choice. we'll never know i guess.

Duchess said:
that's true but i wonder if it was a matter of choice. we'll never know i guess.

I actually felt that she did not want to lose her "Position" as a Queen of Great Britain. She was very good at it. I had read that King Olav was interested in marrying her (I also read that he was very close to Princess Marina) but in Great Britain, many feel that theirs is the superior Monarchy.

Just my opinion.

Warren said:
No-one here can answer that. You'd have to ask Queen Margrethe and see if she would answer "what if?" scenarios. :)
Well, I believe, that if she hadn't gotten children with Joachim, she wouldn't have been held in as high esteem as she now is, when she has children with Joachim. As I understand it, Diana Spencer was given a special treatment too after her divorce from Prince Charles, because she was the mother of not only two princes, but even the mother of a future king of England.

michelleq said:
I actually felt that she did not want to lose her "Position" as a Queen of Great Britain. She was very good at it. I had read that King Olav was interested in marrying her (I also read that he was very close to Princess Marina) but in Great Britain, many feel that theirs is the superior Monarchy.

Just my opinion.
That's interesting, king Olav (of Norway, I presume :D) wanting to marry queen mother Elizabeth. Well, she was only three years older than him, so it could have worked...

Last edited:
Why are they "of the Belgians" and not "of Belgium"?

Back
Top Bottom