The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Commoner

i thought Phillip was a prince of greece before he married QEII

Old 05-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Gentry

he was a prince of greece but there is some confusion whether or not he gave those titles up when he became a british citizen

Old 05-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Nobility

i think Prince Philip did give up his Greece Prince title ,cos when he bacame a british citizen, he was Lieut. Mountbatten. also, when u abandon your nationality, isn't it only natural you give up all the titles you have in that country?
afterall there was no monarchy in greece now, so it's of no importance whether he gave it up or not,imho

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 05-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Nobility

I found this on Encyclopedia Britannica online;

Philip, duke of Edinburgh
born June 10, 1921, Corfu, Greece
in full Prince Philip, duke of Edinburgh, earl of Merioneth and baron Greenwich, also called Philip Mountbatten, original name Philip, prince of Greece and Denmark husband of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Royal Highness

Diana was indeed the daughter of the Earl Spencer but it was Johnnie not Charles. Charles is her brother and the current Earl, which her inherited on the death of his father. The other ladies had no titles at the time of their marriages as far as I know.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Royal Highness

Sarah was Princess Andrew upon her marriage. But Sara, these titles are given only to the men (at least in these circumstances) upon their engagements and the women took them on only after their marriages. The women were still known by their given names (and family titles if appropriate) when they became engaged. However, with Princess and Anthony Armstrong Jones, I believe he was made Lord Snowdon before the marriage?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Sophie is NOT a Princess (in her own right) - she is HRH The Countess of Wessex! This was the style that Queen Elizabeth II created for her at her marriage to one of her sons. I think her titles are (not in her own right): HRH The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn.

Princess Alice, The Duchess of Gloucester, on the other hand - is another matter. She was born in a different era, and was already the daughter of a Duke when she was married. When her husband, The Duke of Gloucester, died in 1974, she became known as Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester to distinguish herself from her daughter-in-law who is now the new Duchess of Gloucester.
More information about the Gloucesters:
A GRANDSON of King George V, and first cousin to Queen Elizabeth, Prince Richard Alexander Walter George had planned on a career in architecture until his older brother, Prince Frederick, died in 1972. Richard changed career paths and prepared to succeed his father as Duke of Gloucester, which he did in 1974.

The Duke, who was born on August 26, 1944, is an active patron of a number of architectural organizations and has produced four books on photography. In 1972 he married Brigitte Eva van Deurs, daughter of a Danish lawyer. The Duchess of Gloucester is an active patron, especially of medical organizations. They had three children, Alexander, Earl of Ulster, born in 1974; Lady Davina Windsor, born in 1977; and Lady Rose Windsor, born in 1980. None of the children undertake official duties.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Wouldn't the Wessex title eventually go to Edward & Sophie's son (if they have one or upon the sons marraige) provided they inherit the edinburgh title. Would Lady Louise be able to inherit the wessex title or any title other that Lady in her own right? Or would it just revert to the crown.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
Wouldn't the Wessex title eventually go to Edward & Sophie's son (if they have one or upon the sons marraige) provided they inherit the edinburgh title. Would Lady Louise be able to inherit the wessex title or any title other that Lady in her own right? Or would it just revert to the crown.
If they had a son, the title would eventually pass to him. Lady Louise will always be a Lady, as it is just a courtesy title for her as the daughter of an Earl.

Peerages only pass in male lines I think, and I'm guessing that the Wessex title is not a title for life (meaning when the holder of the peerage dies, the peerage also dies), but I don't know how it will work then - because normally the title would then go to another male relative of the holder of the Wessex peerage... Very confusing, I think we could use an expert here!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
However, with Princess and Anthony Armstrong Jones, I believe he was made Lord Snowdon before the marriage?
He was given the title Earl of Snowdon over a year after the wedding, when they were expecting their first child.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Nobility

Can, for example, a Prince marry a CP Princess and become a King? Like Fernando of Aragón and Isabel of Castela? If it was created a monarchy and the woman is becoming a Queen, her husband would become a King?
Old 05-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

At the time of her engagement, Letizia Ortiz was given the distinction of Doña, who's the equivalent of Lady.

Upon getting married, she acquired all of Felipe's titles and now she is: Princess of Asturias, Princess of Girona, Princess of Viana, Duchess of Mountblanc, Countess of Cervera and Lady of Balaguer
Old 05-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalian
Can, for example, a Prince marry a CP Princess and become a King? Like Fernando of Aragón and Isabel of Castela? If it was created a monarchy and the woman is becoming a Queen, her husband would become a King?
No he can't, because King is a higher, or more "valuable" title than Queen. Which would mean that the person marrying the ruling queen would push her off the throne and take the place. That's why you have the title of Prince Consort to ruling Queens. You could say that King is no. 1 and Queen is no. 2, but where you don't have a King but a ruling Queen she will be no. 1.

Does this make sense

Old 05-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
He was given the title Earl of Snowdon over a year after the wedding, when they were expecting their first child.
thanks for the clarification :)
Old 05-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Nobility

Yes, I understood...but, he has almost the same power as the Queen....???? I think of Prince Phillip...I now that he hasn´t the same power as the Queen...but, he has a lot right?? Do you have any idea of Princes consorts who became more popular that the Queen it self?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
If they had a son, the title would eventually pass to him. Lady Louise will always be a Lady, as it is just a courtesy title for her as the daughter of an Earl.

Peerages only pass in male lines I think, and I'm guessing that the Wessex title is not a title for life (meaning when the holder of the peerage dies, the peerage also dies), but I don't know how it will work then - because normally the title would then go to another male relative of the holder of the Wessex peerage... Very confusing, I think we could use an expert here!
I know that Queen Elizabeth II bestowed that title on Prince Edward upon his marriage. Now, when he passes on, wouldn't the title revert back to the Crown? His father, the Duke, has said that his title will pass on to Edward when he dies, but I hear that the title will revert back to the Crown then the monarch (either his mother, his brother, or maybe even his nephew!) would give the title to Edward?

Anyway, nice little side comment about titles, I'm glad that Alexandra of Denmark (Prince Joachim's ex-wife, not the cousin) has been bestowed her own title of Countess. I'm still not clear if she is now a princess in her own right; it seems like it because I would think that since she's divorced from Prince Joachim, Queen Margarethe was under no obligation to let Alexandra continue to be a member of the Royal Family and/or retain her title. So I would think that she was made a princess in her own right and that her title of Her Highness is completely separate from her former title of Her Royal Highness.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Peerages

Quote:

Each Peerage has its own Letters Patent which details how the peerage can be passed on, or not. Most peerages follow in the male line, some have Letters Patent which stipulate it can pass through a female line (the best example here is Lord Mountbatten: his Earldom of Burma passed to his eldest daughter so she became Countess Mountbatten of Burma.)

As to what the Letters Patent say about the Earldom of Wessex, I have no idea. Perhaps with Royal peerages they make it up as they go along. Lady Louise (Wessex) is by all rights a Princess and HRH. There have been no Letters Patent denying her this rightful style and title as far as I know, just an announcement saying "she will be known as.." (sound familiar?).

Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh in due course, and not Charles as the eldest son, because Edinburgh is a Royal Dukedom, and the "rules" regarding this dignity appear to be very flexible!
Old 05-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
As to what the Letters Patent say about the Earldom of Wessex, I have no idea. .
The title passes to males only as stated in the Letters Patent: "heirs male of his body lawfully begotten"

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/sea...e&PageNumber=2
Old 05-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh in due course, and not Charles as the eldest son, because Edinburgh is a Royal Dukedom, and the "rules" regarding this dignity appear to be very flexible!
Prince Charles is the heir to the title Duke of Edinburgh. If he out-lives his father, he (Charles) will become the 2nd Duke of Edinburgh of the current creation of that title. There are permutations whereby Prince Edward could inherit the title. But, the most likely scenario is that at sometime the holder will become Sovereign at which time the title merges with the crown and a new creation can be made.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Serene Highness

Prince William of Denmark (I think) married Queen Mary II of England in the late 1600's and he became King. She even died before him and he still ruled for several years before dying himself. I'm not sure exactly why but if anyone can fil me in that ould be great. Queen Mary was the daughter of King James and sister to Queen Anne.