The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Thank you for the answer Muhler. There is a documentary about QEII during her Jubilee year and a clip where the Queen is speaking to PM David Cameron about the econonic crisis in Greece and the Queen says to her Prime Minister "The King rang me about it, he is quite concerned"

It seemed odd to me at least that she referred to Constantine as King let alone acknowledge they talked about the economic conditions in Greece.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth 11 has the same view as Queen Margarethe 11 - 'once a majesty, always a majesty...

Old 10-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

In one of the episodes of the Diamond Queen that Andrew Marr did, it had footage from the lunch at Windsor with all the other monarchs. When they did the photo of the monarchs with the Queen, they did it by oldest to newest. Constantine and Michael of Romania both ex Kings were on either side of Elizabeth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

Well this may have been a way to avoid a family feud considering that Phillip is a cousin to both Michael and Constantine.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I have a question. Do former monarchies ever make formal complaints about their royals continuing to be granted courtesies in other countries. Like does the government of Greece ever say to Britain or Denmark stop treating Constantine as if he is still royal?
I don't think they would ever complain to a foreign country about how their former royals are being treated, provided as Muhler pointed out, they're not being treated like they're actual representatives of the nation still (at least, if they're not; some non-reigning monarchs do have roles in their countries now; Michael I of Romania and Grand Duchess Maria both come to mind here. QEII is well within her rights to talk to Constantine II about the situation in Greece and to mention it to her PM, provided that they don't then treat his views as anything other than a private individual voicing concern about a situation. It does seem odd that that clip would be chosen to air, but it doesn't seem odd at all that she refers to Constantine as the King (he is; in her view once a majesty always a majesty, unless you abdicate under situations like Beatrix of the Netherlands), or that she would have spoken to him about the situation in Greece and mentioned it to her PM - why wouldn't she speak to a friend and family member about a situation in his home country?

Constantine has clashed with the Greek government in regards to his titles and passport. He recognizes the Republic, but until 1994 had a passport that titled him as Constantine, former King of the Hellenes." In 1994 Greece stripped him of his citizenship, passport, and property, saying that he could only be granted a Greek passport if he adopted a surname, and he refuses to do so saying that ""I don't have a name - my family doesn't have a name." Constantine no longer uses the title "King of the Hellenes" at all, instead styling himself King Constantine (comparable to how Albert II of Belgium is styled post-abdication), and uses a Danish diplomatic passport as a descendant of Christian IX (Denmark issues diplomatic passports to any such descendants if they request one) as "Constantine de Grecia".

In Austria the nobility, noble privileges, noble titles, and noble names were abolished in 1919, but only within Austria. Therefore, according to Austrian law it is illegal for Karl von Habsburg to go by "von Habsburg" - his legal name in Austria is Karl Habsburg-Lothringen, as "von" is a noble name. However, as a German citizen (he was born in Germany) his surname is "von Habsburg" and in some places he's recognized as Archduke Karl of Austria (he was actually baptized as such in Bavaria). The Austrians don't seem to mind, provided as he's not using the title in Austria.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

When Constantine dies, does CP Pavlos stay how is titled now? I don't see how he can become King when Greece is a republic.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Courtier

He will remain titular Crown Prince, Skippyboo , just as Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia is...
Old 10-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
When Constantine dies, does CP Pavlos stay how is titled now? I don't see how he can become King when Greece is a republic.

That will be interesting to learn!

In any way I guess he will remain a pretender of some sort but no more, unless Greece reintroduce the monarchy.
In DK I guess he will continue to be treated as a prince, but no red carpet-treatment though
Pavlos will never have been crowned nor at any time officially recogniced as a monarch, so the once a majesty always a majesty will most likely not apply.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Queen Elizabeth 11 has the same view as Queen Margarethe 11 - 'once a majesty, always a majesty...

I'm guessing Elizabeth II didn't feel that way about the Duke of Windsor.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
I'm guessing Elizabeth II didn't feel that way about the Duke of Windsor.

There's a different attitude about monarchs who abdicate without the monarchy ending, and monarchs who are deposed.

Edward VIII of the UK, Beatrix of the Netherlands, Carol II of Romania, Marie-Adelaide of Luxembourg, etc, are all people who abdicated (either voluntarily or by force) and yet the monarchy continued in their former realms. Michael I of Romania, Constantine II of Greece, etc, are all individuals who were overthrown and their realms ceased to be realms. Recognizing them as continuing to be Majesties while not heads of states is a slightly different matter.