The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Courtier

Astrid could be Empress if the Austrian Empire is restaured and archdukes Karl, Ferdinand Zvonimir, Georg, Karoly renounce their rights or die before archduke Lorenz.
She could also become Empress in case the belgian costitution is changed to make Belgium an Empire.. since every state can call itself as it prefers that's possible.. but so unlikeble, thanks god!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator

amedea has it right!

However, for more detail...
A non-reigning Royal House could theoretically promote itself to Imperial or Imperial and Royal status if the Head of the House was female and she married an Imperial Prince. That circumstance would be most unusual as Salic Law prevents women from inheriting in many of the European Houses. Then again, Napoleon Bonaparte just declared himself Emperor and that was that, the Bonapartes became an Imperial Family. Much the same deal with the Pahlavis in Iran.

Otherwise, a Princely House could become Royal in the same manner as the Princely House of Nassau-Weilburg and the Princely House of Nassau-Usingen merged themselves into the Ducal House of Nassau. The last reigning Duke of Nassau was deposed by the Prussians in 1866 but had the good fortune to inherit the throne of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in 1890. The Nassau family made another move upwards when Grand Duchess Charlotte married a Royal Prince. Grand Ducal ranking was thus replaced by truly Royal ranking. A combination of circumstance and marriage has led this branch of the Nassau Family to where it is today as a Reigning and Royal House.

Alternatively, the government of a principality can just declare itself a Kingdom, as the Emirate (or Sheikhdom) of Bahrain did in 2002. The Ruling Sheikh became a Ruling King at the stroke of a pen.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Another case that can explain something is the Este/Modena case in the XVIII century: the family had only a female heir, duchess Maria Beatrice who married archduke Ferdinand of Austria. The sovereign family of Modena passed from the style of HH to the one of HI&RH in that way. The title of the sovereign, of course, did NOT change in Emperor of Modena, but remained the one of Duke of Modena. It seems to me that if with the Este we had HH the Duke of Modena, with the Austria-Este we had HI&RH the Duke of Modena.
In that way, however, it was clear that the ducal family was part of the imperial family, something that bothered the Italian nationalists of XIX century (has could bother Belgians have a king that is part of an Austrian Imperial family).
However there is one BIG difference between the Modena case and the Belgium case: nowadays the Empire is no more alive.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
° ° ° ° °

Next Star, when you ask a question here about reigning and non-reigning Royal or Princely Houses, the assumption is that you are referring to those Houses recognised by the Gotha, and by our members, and the response you get will be in reference to those Houses. If your questions instead allude or refer to such persons as "Princess Kamorrisa de St.Cogo,Countess von zu Welle" (from your signature) you really should direct those questions to them as they do not form part of the recognised royal world.

As an aside, there are four search results for this supposed-princess found on Google; two appear to relate to posts made by you in these Forums, and the other two lead to the "Regal World Forums" consisting of two pages here and here. I note that the content of these pages and another concerning "an aspiring and upcoming urban model" has a remarkable similarity to your own writing style.

The multi-titled "Princess Kamorrisa de St.Cogo, Countess von zu Welle, previously known as Duchess von Coth Ind Savoy" is a patent nonsense and should not be raised in serious discussion in these Forums.
I know I should not have styled the princess that why in the first place nor mentioned
her because 1.She is not popular and not recongized by the royal world.
2.She is not European the Gotha to my knowledge only recongizes European royalty
and nobility.The other page has nothing to do with the princess and I will not raise too much talk
about her because of those two things that are mentioned above.Thank you for your point of
view though I humbly disagree.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Alternatively, the government of a principality can just declare itself a Kingdom, as the Emirate (or Sheikhdom) of Bahrain did in 2002. The Ruling Sheikh became a Ruling King at the stroke of a pen.
Just thinking about you said Warren that with the consitituation being changed for Baharain it went from an emirate to kingdom.
And then you mention Luxembourg they too can go from a grand duchy to a kingom but they would be kinda of sad because there
would no reigninng grand duchies left.Because Luxembourg is the last reigning duchy left in the world.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

But I guess that the other nations has to recognise a passage from a Principality to a kingdom, or from a Kingdom to an Empire...
When the Duchy of Savoy passed to Kingdom of Sardinia, it was due to the fact that the Holy Roman Empire recognised it as a kingdom...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Courtier

Monaco was a lordship but by King Louis 15 or 16 I forget switch one made them princes and it offically became a principality.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
Monaco was a lordship but by King Louis 15 or 16 I forget switch one made them princes and it offically became a principality.
I read that Spain was responsible for the Grimaldis princely status. They began as Lords then Prince thru Spain and then the Duchy Valentois title thru France.
Yes, they procured many other lesser titles thru diffrent marriages
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Courtier

The information you read is highly incorrect not believe everything you read.I saw an interview with Prince Albert II of Monaco back in 2004 when he was the heir to the throne.He was on Larry King Live and he was by Larry how did his family recieve the title of prince.The prince
said that his family recieve the title from the king of France.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM

Simple Question I have always wondered about

As far as I know, if a Prince marries a common woman, she becomes known as a Princess. However, if a Princess marries a common man, is he granted a specific title? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Commoner

The children are still His and Her Royal Highness Prince and Princess of Wessex though from a legal stand point that as
Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator

From what I know, any children get their royal titles from their fathers unless special provisions are made. Thus the children of HRH The Princess Royal are Zara and Peter Phillips. The offer of a title was made to Princess Anne and Capt Mark Phillips but was declined by the couple. I believe the same example is with Princess Martha Louise of Norway.

Likewise the children of Charles, Andrew and Edward are automatically Prince and Princess though Edward's children are using titles from a lower rank.

This might differ from country to countr but I believe that its pretty much the same. Basically if a Princess marries a common man unless a decree is issued (i.e. the granddaughters of King Edward VII) or a title is given the children don't have titles.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yftyt2006 View Post
As far as I know, if a Prince marries a common woman, she becomes known as a Princess. However, if a Princess marries a common man, is he granted a specific title? Please let me know. Thanks.
Just in special cases, if she is a crown princess (The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Henrik, the Late Prince Claus) or she is sovereign's daughter (this case is very rare) (Crown Princess Victoria husband-to-be, Princess Royal's first husband, Earl of Snowdon, Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Erste -> Prince of Belgium, Crown Princess of Roumania's husband ->Prince of Hohenzollern-Veringen, later Prince of Roumania, husbands of Spanish Infantas, ...)
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Courtier

HSH and HRH

Has anyone in recent history elevated an HSH to a HRH? The only one that I can think of was from Luxembourg when I believe that a Grand Duchess married a Duke of Parma?

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness

Didn't Princess Caroline of Monaco?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

For example:
HSH Prince Leoopold - HRH Prince Leopold - HM Kinf Leopold I King of the Belgians
HSH Prince Albert - few days before wedding with HM Queen Victoria became HRH
HSH Princess Victoria Mary Augusta - HRH Duchess of York - HM Queen Mary
HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco - HRH Princess Caroline of Hannover
HSH Princess Emma - HM Queen Emma
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I asked me if the correct title of the Danish Queen is translated in German to "Königin von Dänemark" or "Königin zu Dänemark". Can someone help me?

Thank you.

principessa
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I believe you can only do so via marriage (as the examples above show) and with special permission of a sovereign or becoming a new soverign (Leopold).

I believe that one of Queen Victoria's son in laws was an HSH (Henry of Battenberg I believe). Victoria elevated him to an HRH so he was an HRH in the UK but elsewhere he was still an HSH.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by yftyt2006 View Post
This is at the discretion of the reigning monarch. For example, shortly before the birth of their first child in 1961, the Queen created Antony Armstrong-Jones the Earl of Snowdon but she didn't give a title to the husbands of Princesses Alexandra or Anne.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

If I don't mistake, the Queen offered to both Sir Angus Oglivy and Mark Phillips a comital title on their wedding day, but both them refused it.