Non-British Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One other reason for royal and noble brides to be "of Denmark" and "of Teck" were probably the fact that they didn't have surnames in the way Wallis Simpson or the Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon had. If the latter hadn't had a "proper" surname she would probably have been known as queen Elizabeth of Strathmore and Kinghorne after her father's title earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, in a similar fashion as queen Caroline of Ansbach, wife of king George II. She belonged to the house of Hohenzollern by birth, but has "of Ansbach" after her father's principality of Ansbach.

It's true that some of the English princes and princesses had "of X" after their birthplace, for example John of Gaunt, being born in Ghent and king Henry IV of England was known as Henry of Bolingbroke after his birthplace the Bolingbroke Castle, or Joan of Acre, daughter of king Edward I of England, after her birthplace of Acre in the Holy Land. One reason for those "placenames" was probably the fact that there could be several members of the same family (grandfathers, fathers, sons, brothers, nephews and cousins) who were or had been prince John or prince Henry at the same time, so to be able to differentiate between the prince Henry's there was a need to add something to their name while they were children, before they got a noble title such as earl or duke of something.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason for the 'of xxx' was simply to identify which particular prince/princess was being referred to.

Queen Victoria for instance had at least three granddaughters named Victoria so to tell them apart the 'of Prussia', 'of Wales' 'of Hesse' etc was used.

It is simply a way of telling one from the other.

Queen Victoria for instance had at least three granddaughters named Victoria so to tell them apart the 'of Prussia', 'of Wales' 'of Hesse' etc was used.
Yes, those names was used to tell the princess apart by the general public, but not by their extended family who had their own nicknames for its members. Victoria of Prussia was known as Moretta or Young Vicky (her mother Victoria was known as Vicky), Victoria of Wales was called Toria and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg was called Ena, Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha had the nickname Ducky. I can't find a nickname for Victoria of Hesse, but her sisters had the nicknames Ella, Alicky (or Sunny) and May. You can find more royal nicknames here: Nicknames of German princesses ?

HM- his/her majesty- usually referring to a king or Queen

HIM- the title of an emperor? Like Akihito of japan?

HIH is for whom? And is the title HSH mostly for German royalty?

HIM usually stands for His/Her Imperial Majesty - style of an Emperor or Empress.
HM stands for His/Her Majesty - style of a King or Queen.
Usually, Emperors, Empresses, Kings and Queens are all addressed in the same manner HM (His/Her Majesty),

HIH stands for His/Her Imperial Highness - usually, style of children of an Emperor or Empress.
HRH stands for His/Her Royal Highness - usually, style of children of a King/Queen, as well as reigning Grand Dukes (such as Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg).
HSH usually stands for His/Her Serene Highness - style of minor royalty (mediatised princes), as well as reining princely Sovereigns (such as Albert of Monaco).
HIllH usually stands for His/Her Illustrious Highness - style of mediatised princely counts and countesses.

I've never heard of the latter, Artemisia, due to my own lack of knowledge. Are there any mediatised royalty/nobility in existence today with that style of Illustrious Highness?

Last edited:
I've never heard of the latter, Artemisia, due to my own lack of knowledge. Are there any mediatised royalty/nobility in existence today with that style?
The style is not at all often used, so unless you emerge into the world of styles and titles, you won't usually encounter it. :)

Quite a few representatives of German princely houses hold the style HIIH. Among them is His Illustrious Highness Count Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth, husband of Princess Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (herself daughter of Princess Benedikte of Denmark).

Illustrious Highness is basically a translation of middle high German word Erlaucht.
Durchlaucht - a word that derived from Erlaucht - was used to describe Princes of the Holy Roman Empire; it is usually translated as Serene Highness.

The Russian style "Ваше Сиятельство" (literally - Your Illustriousness), used by members of some Russian Princely (but not Imperial) families, is also sometimes translated Your Illustrious Highness, although a more accurate translation in terms of ranking would be Serene Highness.

Last edited:
Why Monarchs Receive Specific Titles?

I looked through several forums as to where to put this question so I hope I'm in the right place.

Why is Albert a Prince of Monaco but not a King? Same question in regards to the Grand Duke/Duchess of Luxembourg? Are they considered the sovereigns of their respective countries or do they get different titles because of some political machinations centuries ago? Or because when they became leader they didn't feel "royal" enough to get promoted? :p

Why is Albert a Prince of Monaco but not a King? Same question in regards to the Grand Duke/Duchess of Luxembourg? Are they considered the sovereigns of their respective countries or do they get different titles because of some political machinations centuries ago?

Even though they are not Kings, Prince Albert of Monaco, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein are all Heads of their respective States. A President and an Emperor are also Heads of State, despite having a title other than King.

To put it simply, the difference between the titles usually signified the size of the land and/or the influence the ruler exercised.
Usually, small states like Monaco, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein didn't have weight to be fully independent in their own right and were initially part of larger Empires or vassals to more powerful lords. As such, they obviously had lower titles then their lords. Also, most of the vassals had to receive (at least, initially) their crowns, directly or indirectly, from their overlord, thus legitimising their rule.

Princes of Monaco, for instance, were considered vassals of the French Monarchs. After the Grimaldis purchased the land from the crown of Aragon in 1419, they became rulers of the "Rock of Monaco". When Honore II self-styled himself as "Prince of Monaco" (before that they were just rulers), he knew perfectly well his land would not be able to survive on its own in the big power struggle of Europe. Honore II then sought French protection (chiefly, against Spanish forces) and was received at French court as vassal of the French King. All subsequent Princes of Monaco remained French vassals until the French revolution. After the revolution and until 1814, Monaco remained under direct French rule. In 1814, the Principality was re-established as a sovereign land, but the Congress of Vienna 1815 designated it as a protectorate of Sardinia. A couple of decades later, by the Treaty of Turin 1860, the Sardinian forces pulled out and Monaco and the principality became French protectorate again. Eventually, hoping to finally gain independence for his land, Charles III of Monaco ceded over 95% of Monaco (as it was at the time) to France in return for absolute sovereignty for the Principality, which the French granted by the Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861.

Liechtenstein was a "sovereign member state of the Holy Roman Empire"; in effect, the Prince of Liechtenstein was a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor. However, after the Napoleonic Wars, the principality joined the Confederation of the Rhine as a member (but de facto as a vassal of France). After the confederation was abolished in 1813, Liechtenstein joined the German confederation and became a vassal (or protectorate) of the Austrian Empire) until 1866. After the end of World War I and the dissolution of Austro-Hungarian Empire, the principality argued that since the newly-formed state of Austria didn't consider itself a legal successor of the Empire, then Liechtenstein - as a former vassal of the Holy Roman Empire but not of Austria - was not bound in any shape or form to the newly-formed country .

Similarly, Luxembourg was vassal to Holy Roman Empire, then had personal union of Crowns with the Netherlands.

My own country, Armenia was (for a brief period) an Empire, when Tigran the Great conquered vast territories in Caucasia. He held the title Shanshah (King of Kings), signifying his importance. Once most of the land was lost, Armenian Monarchs reverted to being called just Kings.
The Cilician Kingdom of Armenia, on the other hand, was initially a Principality only marginally bigger than Monaco; however, Prince Levon II added more lands to the Principality and gained more importance during the crusades (Pope Clement III personally wrote to Levon to ask for financial and military assistance, which was granted). As a gratitude, two successive Holy Roman Emperors - Frederick Barbarossa and Herny VI - elevated the princedom's status to a Kingdom.

My thanks for your very interesting reply!
The historical aspects of these monarchies makes for great reading.

To put it simply, the difference between the titles usually signified the size of the land and/or the influence the ruler exercised.
Yes, it's true that the size of a country denotes what title its ruler has, but there can also be other reasons. Take for example the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, it was a large country in the middle ages but it was only a kingdom for a very short time of its history, when its rulers went back to their pagan beliefs the country was degraded to a Grand Duchy and remained so for as long as the country existed as independent.

:previous:
Of course, there were many aspects; I just simplified for better understanding.

As I mentioned somewhere in earlier post, many of the smaller states had to "receive" their crowns from a more powerful lord (Holy Roman Emperor, the Pope, etc).
The Pope was the supreme authority in the Christian world; as the successor of Saint Peter and the Lord's representative on Earth, he could elevate the rulers to Princes or Kings (as happened with Cilician Armenia), or could "downgrade" them to Princes, Grand Dukes or Dukes (as happened with Lithuania).

Another way of punishment was church excommunication, which usually severly diminished the power of the given lord and could result in his eventual removal from power (at least, until the Renaissance period). Among those excommunicated by the Roman Catholic Church were several Holy Roman Emperors (Henry IV, Frederick I Barbarossa, Frederick II), French Kings (Philip I, Philip IV, Henry IV - who retaliated by "excommunicating" the Pope, Napoleon), Monarchs of the British Isles (John I of England, Robert the Bruce, James IV of Scotland, Henry VIII of England, Elizabeth I of England), William I of Sicily, Andrew II of Hungary, and others.

Remember, Western European monarchies are constitutional monarchies. The constitution of the country often specifies the title of the monarch. That could thus be changed only as the constitution of the country could be changed.

Remember, Western European monarchies are constitutional monarchies. The constitution of the country often specifies the title of the monarch. That could thus be changed only as the constitution of the country could be changed.
Well, in the Order of Succession of 1810 the title of the king was Med Guds Nåde Sveriges, Götes och Vendes Konung &c. &c. &c., arvinge till Norge, hertig till Schleswig Holstein, Stormarn och Ditmarsen, greve till Oldenburg och Delmenhorst &c. &c., when king Carl Gustaf became king in 1973 he took the title Sveriges konung (king of Sweden) and not Med Guds Nåde Sveriges, Götes och Vendes konung, the title his grandfather had had, and no change of the constitution was needed.

Meaning & Origin of the Words King and Emperor

Can anyone give me a detailed etymology of the words King and Emperor?

Read a little something about "Emperor". But what about "King"?

Read a little something about "Emperor". But what about "King"?
The word "King" derived from the Anglos-Saxon "Cynnig", which in turn derived from Common Germanic word for a King (ruler) - "kuningaz".
"Kuningaz" was a combination of two words - "kunja" + "ingaz", which meant "someone of the family".

The Anglo-Saxon "cynnig" originated of Old English "cynn" (race or family) + "-inga" suffix". "Cynnig" originally had the meaning of "leader of people", although some argue that a more appropirate translation would be "a descendant of one of a noble birth". It depends on how "cynn" is translated or was interpreted at the time.
Over the time, "Cynnig" evolved into "King".

As for "Emperor", it derives from French "Empereor", which in turn derived from Latin "Imperiator". "Imperiator" was a title conferred upon a victorious commander by his troops. For instance, Pompey was made "Imperator" several times, as was Sulla. Caesar used it permanently and planned to turn it into hereditary title.

"Imperiator" itsefl originated from "imperare" (meaning "to command"), from the combination of "im" + "parare" (to make ready).

Last edited:
Dumb question but - do Stephanie de Lannoy's siblings all have the title earl/countess in front of their names? I've always thought it was just the eldest that had the title and the rest had sir or lady or it was the oldest male that carried the title.

Dumb question but - do Stephanie de Lannoy's siblings all have the title earl/countess in front of their names? I've always thought it was just the eldest that had the title and the rest had sir or lady or it was the oldest male that carried the title.
There is a difference between how the children of English/British and Continental aristocracy are titled. In the U.K. only the oldest son have a title while all the children of Continental aristocracy have a title, I think it's true in most, if not all, European countries. There are usually no equivalent titles to the British Lord/Lady in other European languages.

In Sweden, it is also Monarch that descides about titles for members of the Royal Family. There has been a lot of discussion about the titles of the coming husbands of Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine, and also of Prince Carl Philip. No one know how it will be until the day of the announcement for it comes...

Well we know now.....HRH Prince Daniel, Duke Consort of Västergötland

Last edited:
qzwxec said:
Well we know now.....HRH Prince Daniel, Duke Consort of of Västergötland
You do realise you're answering questions from 8 years ago?

Why is Albert a Prince of Monaco but not a King?...
Well Albert if he wished, could declare himself "King" or even "Emperor" I suppose, but it would look like frivolous aggrandizement. Just a few years ago the Emir of Bahrain, "upgraded" himself to "King". It was very silly but he did it anyways. Some have said he wasn't happy just being a "Highness" and wanted to be a "Majesty". Rather asinine in today's world, if you ask me.

The Russian style "Ваше Сиятельство" (literally - Your Illustriousness), used by members of some Russian Princely (but not Imperial) families, is also sometimes translated Your Illustrious Highness, although a more accurate translation in terms of ranking would be Serene Highness.
This has always been a curiosity of mine, and I have never seen a definitive answer. How does one address a Russian Prince ? How does one address a Russian Count ?

My Prince, Your Honor, Your Excellency or Your Serene Highness ? It's always very vague.

How about a Russian Count ? My Count, Your Honor, or Your Excellency ?

Anyone want to discuss ?

- Russian Grand Dukes of Grand Duchesses (children and male-line grandchildren of the Emperor) were addressed to as "Его/Её Императорское Высочество" - "His/Her Imperial Highness".

- Male-line great-grandchildren of the Emperor usually had the style of "Его/Её Высочество" - "His/Her Highness".

- Russian Princes and Princesses (who are not typically members of the Imperial Family but members of Princely families) were addressed to as "Его/Её Сиятельство" - "His/Her Your Illustriousness (or "Your Illustrious Highness"). That's a direct translation: a more accurate styling would be the rather more usual "Serene Highness".

- Russian nobles (Counts, Barons, etc) were usually addressed to as "Сиятельство" - "Illustriousness".

- Representatives of what could be called Russian gentry (non-titled landlords - "помещики", "дворяне", etc.) were often addressed to as "Господин" - roughly, "Sir".

I have a question in regards to the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg and style of Royal Highness. I’ve been reading Wikipedia on the topic, so forgive me if the information I’ve gathered is wrong!

I was reading the page on Grand Duchess Charlotte, and was interested to read that after her marriage to HRH Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma, “their lineal descent was raised in style from Grand Ducal Highness to Royal Highness.” Other pages tell me that the Grand Dukes/Duchesses of Luxembourg as well as their heir apparent have always been HRHs, however, before Charlotte’s marriage to Felix, other members of the family (i.e. the Grand Duke's other children) were only Grand Ducal Highnesses.

After Charlotte abdicated her son Jean became Grand Duke, then his son Henri, and in the future Guillaume. All of Jean’s children are HRH, as are Henri’s, because it is passing through the male line. However, I wonder what will happen when it passes through the female line. For instance, if Guillaume’s first born is a girl, I’m assuming she will be HRH her whole life – from being born to the heir apparent, then becoming the heir apparent, then presumably becoming the Grand Duchess. But what about her children? (Ignoring the heir, which is HRH anyway) Will they be HRH or Grand Ducal Highnesses?

Sorry if I’ve got this all wrong, I am just very curious about styles and titles and love to learn something new.

...But what about her children? (Ignoring the heir, which is HRH anyway) Will they be HRH or Grand Ducal Highnesses?
It's quite straightforward. When Grand Duchess Charlotte married the [royal] Prince of Bourbon-Parma their children were born Royal Highnesses and the Grand Ducal House became a Royal House. If a female becomes the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg in her own right or inherits the throne of the Grand Duchy, all of her children will bear the style of Royal Highness.

The only Grand Ducal Highnesses remaining in the Gotha today are the cadet members of the Grand Ducal House of Baden.

Last edited:
It's quite straightforward. When Grand Duchess Charlotte married the [royal] Prince of Bourbon-Parma their children were born Royal Highnesses and the Grand Ducal House became a Royal House. If a female becomes the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg in her own right or inherits the throne of the Grand Duchy, all of her children will bear the style of Royal Highness.
And didn't the house of Bourbon-Parma get their HRH status from being descendants of the Spanish royal Bourbon house? Elisabeth Farnese's (the heiress who brought Parma to Bourbon rule) family were all styled HH.

:previous:
The heiress of Parma, Elisabeth Farnese, was the wife of Felipe V, King of Spain and had been married to him for about 17 years when her uncle, the last Farnese Duke of Parma, died. She transmitted her rights to her son Carlos (who later became Carlos III, King of of Spain). When he conquered Naples and became King of Naples and Sicily he resigned the Duchy of Parma to his brother Felipe, now Duke of Parma in his own right and the founder of the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma.

As you mentioned, the Farnese Dukes were styled Highness, as were most reigning Ducal Houses of the Holy Roman Empire. The incoming Spanish Bourbon Prince, now renamed Filippo, assumed the Ducal title (albeit expanded to 'Duke of Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla') and naturally enough retained his style of Royal Highness. He thereby raised the tiny and relatively insignificant Duchy of Parma to royal status and founded, under the name of Bourbon-Parma, what was to become a very large, influential and well-connected royal dynasty.

Last edited:
The BRF have a thread like this, so I was wondering if we could start a thread for the world's royals and nobles (Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East). Hopefully this thread will get longer with our questions and answers. If there's already a thread similar to this; then the mods/admins can move or delete it if they wish. :)

I have a question regarding the titles of Prince Constantijin and Prince Friso's children (of the Netherlands):

*Why don't Prince Constantijin and Prince Friso's children have princely titles? They're grandchildren of Queen Beatrix so I don't understand why they aren't Princes or Princesses. Also, Beatrix's sisters' children were granted the title of Prince/Princess along with the style of Highness.

And another question regarding the title of Sheikh:

*I see that some members of the Jordanian Royal Family are styled Sheikh, whilst Princess Haya has the title of Princess. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Jordanian Royals so that's why I'm asking this question.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Question 1:

Titles in the Netherlands are only automatic for the King (Queen), a former King of Queen, and the heir to the throne, as well as their respective spouses. In order to limit the amount of Princes and Princess, it was decided that the children of Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien were to be Count or Countess of Orange-Nassau and Jonkheer or Jonkvrouw van Amsberg. This was established at the time of their engagement/wedding.

The children of Princess Margriet were born in a different time. It is not relevant for the children of Constantijn.

If the Queen wanted, she could give them a title, as the title Prince or Princess of Orange-Nassau can be given to all members of the Royal House. This is a personal title. If a Prince, who is a member of the Royal House, looses his rights to be part of the Royal House (i.e. Prince Friso), there is still the option of a personal title of Prince or Princess of Orange-Nassau. It has to be decided within 3 months after loosing membership of the Royal House.

Question 2:

Princess Haya is a Princess, because she is born a Princess of Jordan. Meaning she is a Princess in her own right. It is unrelated to her marriage and the title of Sheikh(a)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom