The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Courtier

There are some royals or even nobles who have done this for a number of reasons because of abidcation or broke the house law etc.

For instease the Luxembourg ducal family no longer holds prince or princess of Bourbon-Parma.And the princess I use as a signature no longer uses her dutchess
title it caused confusion for some people who might of assumed she was related to the Savoy family of Italy which she is not.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Courtier

How come some royals and even nobles are more known by their sub title then their main title?
Okay other examples of royals or nobles from reigning houses and here's the list:
Reigning
U.K.
1.Prince Philp he is also Duke of Edinburg
2.Prince Charles he is also Prince of Wales
3.Prince Andrew he is also Duke of York

Beligum
4. Crown Prince Phillpe he is also Duke of Brabant (excuse my spelling if incorrect)

Netheralnds
5.Crown Prince Willem-Alexander he is also Prince of Orange

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States

All the men you listed are actually "officially" styled by their "subsidiary" titles that you listed. HRH The Prince Charles is officially HRH The Prince of Wales just as Prince Philippe is officially HRH The Duke of Brabant these men bear traditional styles and titles for heirs to their thrones. Andrew and Philip have been offically know as HRH The Duke of X since their creation as royal dukes.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Actually Prince Philippe is always referred to as Prince Philippe not as Duke of Brabant on moarchie.be

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Prince Friso Orange-Nassau is legally titled as Count Orange-Nassau because he married without permission of parliament.
Okay so why on earth are Prince Pieter-Christian and Prince Floris not legally titled as counts they too married without
permission of parliament?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Since both Prince Pieter-Christian and Prince Floris didn't seek the Consent to their marriages, they both lost their places in the line of the succession to the Dutch Throne and ceased being members of the Dutch Royal House, same as Prince Johan-Friso (although they are still members of the Dutch Royal Family).

From this point on, however, Prince Friso's situation is completely different. By Royal Decree of 2004, he lost the hereditary title "Prince of Orange-Nassau" by marrying without the Act of Consent. Prince Pieter-Christian and Prince Floris never had the hereditary title to lose it.

Honouring the fact that Prince Johan-Friso was the Sovereign's son, he was granted the hereditary title 'Count of Orange-Nassau", so that his children were not 'commoners'. It was not a demotion; on the contrary, it was an effort to make sure his children are titled in some way.
That is why Prince Johan-Friso's daughters are titled as Luana, Countess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkvrouw van Amsberg and Countess Joanna Zaria of Orange-Nassau, Jonkvrouw van Amsberg. They are both styled/addressed to as "Highborn Lady". Their surname is Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg (again, as per Royal Decree of 2004). The titles are hereditary in male lineage.

Prince Johan-Friso is still allowed to used his title 'Prince of Orange-Nassau' as a personal and non-hereditary title, same as Prince Pieter-Christian and Prince Floris, whose title is non-hereditary as well.

The children of Prince Pieter-Christian and Prince Floris, on the other hand, are known Emma van Vollenhoven, Pieter van Vollenhoven (the children of Prince Pieter-Christian) and Magali van Vollenhoven (the daughter of Prince Floris), without any titles or styles.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Actually Prince Philippe is always referred to as Prince Philippe not as Duke of Brabant on moarchie.be
It's just a website. His official styling is related to the constitution and his historical position.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Commoner

This is more of an opinion question, but...

With the recent bestowing of titles on Princess Tessy and her sons, Prince Gabriel and Prince Noah, it was brought to my attention that, whilst Princess Tessy is a Princess of Luxembourg, her boys are simply Princes de Nassau, as their father is not the Grand Duke or Hereditary Grand Duke. Similarly, whenever the sons of Princess Astrid of Belgium marry and have children, while their spouses will more than likely be Princesses of Belgium, their children will most certainly only inhereit the titles of Austria (Archduke/duchess).

My question is: Were you to marry a prince, would you be comfortable having a higher title than your own children? Though I am not a parent, I don't think I would be okay with that. I actually think I would just rather have the same titles as they did, unless that posed a problem somehow.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Courtier

Only the monarch can decide what title members of the family will recieve rather it be higher or lower.I am not too keen on outranking my children either but there is nothing I can do.Hopefully one day Grand Duke Henri will raise the rank of his two grandsons their still very young children.

When a princess who is not reigning marries a prince who is a member of a reigning family does she have the ability to hold both titles if she is head of her own dynastic house and her husband is just a member of his family's dynastic house?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Administrator

The Head of a House is the Head of a House, no matter who she marries. The closest example you will find is Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. She married a Prince of Prussia and remained Grand Duchess of Russia and Head of the Imperial House. If she had married, for example, a Prince of Denmark it would be up to the Danish Court to determine her title. It may be that she would be known as a Princess of Denmark within Denmark and Grand Duchess outside. It would also depend on the role she was playing at the time.
The question is very hypothetical as female Heads of non-reigning Houses are extremely rare.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Courtier

A princess who is head of own house marries an heir to the throne what title would she hold?
BTW is it even possible for two members of the same house by marriage to be heads of two different
houses? I know am asking a lot.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This is what happened with King Felipe II of Spain and Queen Mary I of England. But in this case, they never met and continued to be Sovereigns of their own countries.
Or this is what happened with Archduchess Maria Theresia of Austria, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, and Franz, Grand Duke of Tuscany and later Holy Roman Emperor; in this case, she retained her own titles, and aquired the Imperial title of her husband. When Franz died, their firstborn son continued to be the heir of the (more important) titles of Maria Theresia, and the second son (Leopold) succeded his father as Grand Duke of Tuscany.
So, in the history we have several examples of marriages between reigning Sovereign.
Now, in some countries like Sweden this kind of marriages is not allowed in order to avoid personal unions between two states.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posts relating to the Royal House of Bavaria have been moved to the Germany-Austria forum.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Nobility

Thumbs down sorry mafan.... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan
King Felipe II of Spain and Queen Mary I of England. But in this case, they never met and continued to be Sovereigns of their own countries.
well not quite, the king did come to england for his wedding and for a short time lived with his wife the queen in england.
during which time the queen is said to fell pregnant, when in fact it was a phantom pregnancy. later still , six months after the departure of the king from england the queen annouced she was expecting another child which in truth turned out to be the beginnings of the illness which was to kill her some time later..... !!!.

also as stated in the marriage treaty, on their marriage mary become queen consort of spain, whilst felipe became king of england and ireland...... they were joint rulers of england and ireland !!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Prince Christian gets a wife called Margrethe, will this Margrethe than be called Queen Margrethe III of Denmark? And how is this handled in other countries?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

No, because she would not be a reigning Queen, she would be a Queen Consort.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Then she would be only styled The Queen Consort of Denmark, Queen Margrethe?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Courtier

She would be Queen Margrethe of Denmark (without the numerals that show that the Queen is Queen Regnant, rather than Queen Consort).
It is the same in other countries as well: the mother of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom was also Queen Elizabeth (during the reign of her husband, and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother - during the Reign of her daughter), but she didn't have numerals after her name either.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Marsel and cmkrcwi!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Say a princess is styled a HRH and is head of her own dynastic house she is not reigning marries a prince who is also not reigning he is styled HR&HI and not head of his house so when they have children what style will their children recieve?