The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I remember reading that Princess Marina, who was born a Princess, and Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone were unhappy that the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester was permitted to be known as Princess Alice. Their reasoning was that she was only entitled to be known as Princess Henry or Dowager Duchess of Gloucester as she was not and never had been a Princess in her own right.

Does anyone know if she was made a Princess after her husbands death and, if so, was this done by Letters Patent?
I believe Princess Alice was made a princess in her own right after her husband's death to distinguish her from her daughter-in-law, the new Duchess of Gloucester, that way Alice wouldn't have to be known as the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, was also never known as Dowager Duchess). I have read that Princess Alice, the Countess of Athlone wasn't happy about this as you wrote, but Princess Marina was dead by the time Prince Henry died. I don't know how Princess Alice was created a princess in her own right or how it is done.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:10 AM
Courtier

Mathilde,Claire and Maxima were made a princess in their own right.That means that they can use their title in case of divorce?

I have still a question concerning the Countess of Wessex.
At the time of their wedding it was also decided that Edward will become the Duke of Edinburgh when his father dies.Sophie therfor becomes the Duchess of Edinburgh,so will she use this title or will she always use Countess of Wessex?

Old 08-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
Mathilde,Claire and Maxima were made a princess in their own right.That means that they can use their title in case of divorce?

I have still a question concerning the Countess of Wessex.
At the time of their wedding it was also decided that Edward will become the Duke of Edinburgh when his father dies.Sophie therfor becomes the Duchess of Edinburgh,so will she use this title or will she always use Countess of Wessex?
I think so!

Sophie Wessex will still as Countess but her father in law will dies they she will become Duchess of Edinburgh but she still as Countess of Wessex of course but she not Princess! i read your posts that not correct what im talking about it! but Princess Diana have her title before! but Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales you know im talking about it!

Crown Princess Mathilde of Belguim,Crown Princess Maxima of Netherlands have rights about married and if divorces they Mathilde would known as Mathilde,Princess of Belguim and Maxima will known as Maxima,Princess of Netherlands and also Princess Claire if she got divorce she will known as Claire,Princess of Belguim many Royals woman will stripe as HRH like Princess Diana acceptance for stripped titles in 1996 but many people still as Princess Diana of course or Diana,Princess of Wales no matters for Princess Diana.and also Sarah,Duchess of York

Sara Boyce
Old 08-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Courtier

Are the wives of any German Princes known as Princess (Their first name) or must they take their husband's name as their own?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:25 PM

If Prince Phillip predeceases Queen Elizabeth the title, Duke of Edinburgh, will not immediately go to Prince Edward. Prince Charles will instead inherit it since the dukedom (like most dukedoms) passes to the heirs male (which is Prince Charles). Edward will have to wait until Prince Charles becomes King and the title merges with the crown again. Then Charles can grant Edward the title. If Charles is already King when Phillip passes then the title immediately reverts back to the crown and Charles can regrant the title to Edward.

Once Edward and Sophie have attained the title(s) Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh these are the titles they will use since it is the more senior title. I.e.… Duke outranks Earl.

Princess Diana was never Diana’s proper title. In all technicality Diana should never have been referred to as Princess Diana since she was not a Princess in her own right. She was called Princess Diana due to popular mistake. Simply being, it was easier for the public and the press to refer to her that way. That way nobody had to bother with all the proper protocol as far as titles and styles go. At her birth she was only the Honourable Diana Spencer since her father was still just a Viscount. When he became the 8th Earl Spencer she became Lady Diana Spencer. Lady being the courtesy title of an Earl’s daughter. Upon her marriage until her divorce she was (properly) known as Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales. Upon her divorce she was Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie is The Countess of Wessex.I haven't heard that anyone called her Princess Sophie.In the British Monarchy Page,they also call them HRH Earl and Countess of Wessex.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

royals titles

Princess Diana was never Diana’s proper title. In all technicality Diana should never have been referred to as Princess Diana since she was not a Princess in her own right. She was called Princess Diana due to popular mistake. Simply being, it was easier for the public and the press to refer to her that way. That way nobody had to bother with all the proper protocol as far as titles and styles go. At her birth she was only the Honourable Diana Spencer since her father was still just a Viscount. When he became the 8th Earl Spencer she became Lady Diana Spencer. Lady being the courtesy title of an Earl’s daughter. Upon her marriage until her divorce she was (properly) known as Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales. Upon her divorce she was Diana, Princess of Wales.

I copy your posts but i knew about Diana's biography! but Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales but she stripped as titles "HRH" from HRH Queen but she is no longer member of Royal Family but she is daughter of Earl Spencer but her dad is friend of HM Queen and her grandmother been lady-in waiting and friend of HM Queen Mother but many people and kids loved Princess Diana lots since she divorces from Prince Charles in 1996 they later she reunited Prince Charles for William's church in 1997 after divorce before one years of divorces and before Diana's last day.

Sara Boyce
Old 08-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

What about Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness

I don't recall her being a Princess in her own right! I know however that she is a Duchess in her own right through her father, as a Duchess in Bavaria, the former German state. Am I correct?

Mary is not a Princess in her own right either! :( Unlike Maxima, Mathildhe and Claire. I don't believe that Matte-Marit is either.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

I don't believe that the new wives or sorry future wives of the Greek Princes will be either. Being that Marie-Chantal isn't a Princess in her own right although she calls herself Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece. This is a confusing issue however, because the Greek Royal website has her as both Crown Princess Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal. I don't think that even Konstantinos can give titles to his family members!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:06 AM
Aristocracy

Mathilde is Princess in her own right! Created HRH Princess of Belgium by Royal Decree of November 8th, 1999

And Claire is Princess in her own right also! Created HRH Princess of Belgium by Royal Decree of April 1st, 2003

And Mathilde is also Princess in her own right! HRH Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau by Royal Decree of January 25th, 2002

And Hereditery Princess of Liechtenstein I think bear the style of Her Royal Highness. (not Her Serene Highness, because her birth as HRH)
Old 08-31-2004, 03:07 AM
Aristocracy

Crown Prince is Duke of Sparta, but I don't know when he receive this title.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:27 AM
Royal Highness

I thought that the title Duke of Sparta was under much speculation? I hear different from so many people.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:02 AM
Aristocracy

So do I, too! :)
Old 08-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Courtier

"And Mathilde is also Princess in her own right! HRH Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau by Royal Decree of January 25th, 2002 "

You mean Maxima, right? :)
In what circumstances wouldn't a woman marrying a royal prince receive the title Princess (First name) of (Place)?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

What title is higher? Lady or Dame?
Also, when someone has the title of Baroness, do they get bowed to?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Nobility

Dame is a title for:
  1. A woman holding a nonhereditary title conferred by a sovereign in recognition of personal merit or service to the country. The wife or widow of a knight.
  2. Used as the title for such a woman.
  1. Lady is a general feminine title of nobility and other rank, specifically:<LI type=a>Used as the title for the wife or widow of a knight or baronet. <LI type=a>Used as a form of address for a marchioness, countess, viscountess, baroness, or baronetess. Used as a form of address for the wife or widow of a baron. <LI type=a>Used as a courtesy title for the daughter of a duke, a marquis, or an earl.
  2. Used as a courtesy title for the wife of a younger son of a duke or marquis.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

No Bowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
When someone has the title of Baroness, do they get bowed to?
As far as I know, in the UK the only people who are bowed or curtsied to are Royalty.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does the title get passed down to the children? Say someone is made Lady or Lord whatever, do their children inherit it?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Does the title get passed down to the children? Say someone is made Lady or Lord whatever, do their children inherit it?
The British nobility and peerage system is a whole science of its own. So therefore it might be a bit hard to explain shortly to questions posted here...

"Lady" and "Lord" is not a title, it's merely a prefix for people in some families where the head holds a peerage.