The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Furienna,

Diana, Princess of Wales, was not given any special treatment in regard to title after her marriage. It is standard practise for divorced wives of peers to use their first name followed by the former title. Diana's titles are as follows:

Prior to marriage: Lady Diana Spencer
During Marriage: Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales
After marriage: Diana, Princess of Wales

The same applies to commoners:

Jane Smith marries John Harris and becomes Mrs. John Harris (although commonly called "Jane Harris"). They divorce and she becomes Jane, Mrs. Harris.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

Titles upon marriage

I am wondering if anyone has an idea about how a title would be handled in marriage between royals. Specifically the marriage of a female royal of a non-reigning house to a male royal of a reigning house. For example:

If HRH Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark married HRH Prince Felix of Luxembourg, what would her title be?

HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, Greece and Denmark? Or, since Luxembourg's monarchy is still reigning, would she just become HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, dropping the Greece and Denmark?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Nobility

I believe it would generally be the latter. In your example, she is a Princess in her own right, thus would not lose that. But she would take her husband's title upon marriage, thus HRH Pss Theodora of Luxembourg.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Generally, the royal spouse takes on the title of the spouse who's title is highest, if that title is transferable. Some royals, most commonly those who are marrying future monarchs, will renounce or stop using their previous titles, usually as a sign of allegiance and fidelity to their new country.

For example, Her Royal Highness Princess Sophia of Greece, upon marrying His Royal Highness Prince Juan Carlos of Spain, adopted her new title as Princess of Spain, later Princess of Asturias and, now, Queen of Spain.

When Prince Philip of Greece decided to marry his distant cousin Princess Elizabeth of England it was decided that since she was to be queen of England, he should adopt her title. Philip then became the Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten. Upon his marriage he became Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. Later, upon the queen's decree, he was titled His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

A more rare circumstance is that of Princess Haya of Jordan and her husband, Sheik Mohammad bin Rashid al Maktoum. Haya, as technically the higher-ranking royal (she is a HRH, he is only an HH) kept her own styling as Her Royal Highness Princess Haya. This is rarer because not only is the higher ranked partner a female but also because he is the ruler of Dubai while she is only the younger sister of the king.

So, after that long-winded rambling, to answer your question, I expect that if HRH Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark was to marry HRH Prince Felix of Luxembourg she'd take his titles and styling. She'd probably be listed (at least by the media) as HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, neé Princess of Greece and Denmark

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for the replies You have confirmed what I suspected. I'm happy that today's royals are marrying for love over connections, but do they all have to marry commoners? lol What a delight it would be to see a double royal wedding worthy of the old days!

I guess my next question would be, who would have the "home court advantage" for a wedding? Would it be held in the country of the reigning house or in whatever country the non-reigning princess resides in? I think it would be preferable to the people of the reigning country to be able to see one of their working royals marry at home.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Thank you for the replies You have confirmed what I suspected. I'm happy that today's royals are marrying for love over connections, but do they all have to marry commoners? lol What a delight it would be to see a double royal wedding worthy of the old days!

I guess my next question would be, who would have the "home court advantage" for a wedding? Would it be held in the country of the reigning house or in whatever country the non-reigning princess resides in? I think it would be preferable to the people of the reigning country to be able to see one of their working royals marry at home.
It would depend on the situation, I would say. For example, Frederik IX and Ingrid married in Stockholm, Anne-Marie and Constantine married in Athens, Olav & Märtha married in Oslo, Astrid & Leopold married in Stockholm, Edward VII and Alexandra were married in Great Britain, Alexander III and Dagmar were married in Russia…
Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
For example, Her Royal Highness Princess Sophia of Greece, upon marrying His Royal Highness Prince Juan Carlos of Spain, adopted her new title as Princess of Spain, later Princess of Asturias and, now, Queen of Spain.
I believe King Juan Carlos has never been called, or has never been given the title of, Prince of Asturias. The last Prince of Asturias was Prince Alfonso, son of Alfonso XIII. Juan Carlos never had the title due to the course of events leading to the exile of his family, and with his designation as "Prince of Spain" (not "of Asturias") and as next king by Franco, instead of inheriting it.

So Queen Sofia has never been Princess of Asturias.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
RhapsodyBrat, you are correct. Princess Asturias has never applied to then Princess Sophia since her husband was never bestowed that title. Excluding Prince Felipe, Prince Alfonso was the last carrier of that title. He of course was the eldest child of King Alfonso XIII and Queen Ena.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
It would depend on the situation, I would say. For example, Frederik IX and Ingrid married in Stockholm, Anne-Marie and Constantine married in Athens, Olav & Märtha married in Oslo, Astrid & Leopold married in Stockholm, Edward VII and Alexandra were married in Great Britain, Alexander III and Dagmar were married in Russia…
But with Léopold And Astrid there was an elegant solution found in that the civil marriage took place in Stockholm and the religious one in Brussels.

General one can san that in most cases the Wedding took place in the Home Country of the bride. For example Willem-Alexander was the first male dutch heir to marry in the Netherlans and the Wedding of Frederik and Mary was the first Crown Princely Wedding in Denmark since over 200 years.
Only seldom the Wedding took place in the Country of the groom (the marriages of members of the russian Imperial Family took almost all place in Russia for example.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Another example is that of Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein and Princess Margaretha of Luxemourg. She is HRH Princess Margaretha, Princess of Liechtenstein, Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau,Princess of Parma, Countess Rietberg. Does anybody know otherwise?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

woops, thanks for correcting me about the Queen Sofia-Princess of Asturias thing- I wasn't quite sure about that one!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Royal Highness

Another:

HRH Duchess Sophie in Bavaria married HSH Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein. She carries the title of HRH Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein, Princess of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria,Countess Rietberg.

My only confusion is if she still carries Princess of (or in) Bavaria since HRH indicates that she is a princess?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
Another:

HRH Duchess Sophie in Bavaria married HSH Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein. She carries the title of HRH Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein, Princess of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria,Countess Rietberg.

My only confusion is if she still carries Princess of (or in) Bavaria since HRH indicates that she is a princess?
That is a perfect example. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
Another:

They bavarian sister have both titles Princess of Bavaria and Duchess in Bavaria but only Duchess in bavaria is used by the Family.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks, Stefan. So adding or omitting that title would be correct?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I am wondering if anyone has an idea about how a title would be handled in marriage between royals. Specifically the marriage of a female royal of a non-reigning house to a male royal of a reigning house. For example:

If HRH Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark married HRH Prince Felix of Luxembourg, what would her title be?

HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, Greece and Denmark? Or, since Luxembourg's monarchy is still reigning, would she just become HRH Princess Theodora of Luxembourg, dropping the Greece and Denmark?
Each royal house has its own rules on titles upon marriage, including your style and using your own name, whether you were born a princess or not.

For example, in the Greek Royal House, females took their style after their husband's name, regardless of their rank and title in their own right. So, HIH Grand Duchess Helen of Russia became "HRH Princess Nicholas of Greece & Denmark" upon marriage, as did HSH Princess Alice of Battenberg ("HRH Princess Andrew") and HIH Princess Marie Bonaparte ("HRH Princess George").

In Britain, females marrying a son or male-line grandson of The Sovereign also take their husband's name in their style as a Princess of the UK (i.e. "HRH Princess Michael of Kent"). If raised to the peerage, their style is taken after their husband's title as a peer ("HRH The Duchess of Kent") with the rank of a princess.

In the Danish Royal House, both Alexandra and Mary (both commoners) were granted the right to be styled as Princesses in their own right with marriage. Same for Maxima in the Dutch Royal House and Merit in the Norway Royal House.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
When Prince Philip of Greece decided to marry his distant cousin Princess Elizabeth of England it was decided that since she was to be queen of England, he should adopt her title. Philip then became the Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten. Upon his marriage he became Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. Later, upon the queen's decree, he was titled His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
Philip didn't take Elizabeth's title upon marriage. He was naturalized prior to his marriage as Lt. Philip Mountbatten, RN, relinquishing his titles as a Prince of Greece & Denmark and becoming a commoner at his own request.

The day before the wedding, George VI created him Baron Greenwich, Earl of Merioneth, and Duke of Edinburgh in the Peerage of the UK, with the style of a Royal Highness. So, upon marriage, Elizabeth became "HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh", which was superior to her husband, who was "HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh".

When Elizabeth became pregnant, The King issued letters patent stating her children would hold the rank and style of HRH Prince/Princess of the UK, rather than Lord/Lady Mountbatten as the children of a Duke. When Elizabeth became Queen in 1952, she issued a statement that Philip would have place, precedence and honour next to Her Majesty at all times.

In 1957, she issued letters patent creating him a Prince of the UK in his own right with precedence ahead of all princes of the blood, including Prince Charles. At that point, he was styled "HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh" as the consort to a reigning Queen.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Royal Highness

That had to have confused at least some since the title of HRH preceeding Duke indicates a royal duke which translates to a prince.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Nobility

Not necessarily. One can be a Royal Duke without being a prince, and vice-versa.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks. I had to do more reading on the subject. I think I got the gist of it. I wonder if the king was really cognizant of this or if he just assumed that Philip would be a prince. King George VI seemed to be a very sensible man. Maybe he had his influences.