The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Ceremony and Protocol

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness

this isn't a question about royal titles but it is about aristocratic titles. what determines whether a title is passed on from one generation to the next? are the titles that celebrities received from QEII just a curtesy thing or do their children inherit the titles? what about the titles of the men/women that govern the UK (i.e. house of lords, etc.).

Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 PM

List of Line Titles

Is there anywhere a list of titles that can or cannot be used in any royal house and line of succession?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Question what title would she have?

If a woman marrries a prince and he is killed then immediately after his parents are killed, what title would she have? I am writing a book and I wanted to know.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM

Well, depending on the set up, she'd remain HRH Princess X or become HRH Princess X, the Dowager Duchess of X if she had children. Thats if she has another title. But death doesnt matter, once she's in she's in.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, depending on the set up, she'd remain HRH Princess X or become HRH Princess X, the Dowager Duchess of X if she had children. Thats if she has another title. But death doesnt matter, once she's in she's in.
Yes but wouldn't she have to take over the country then, assuming the husbands parents were deceased as well, and the children too young?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Well, there might be a regency set up depending on the country's constitution.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

For example:
UK #45 alt.talk.royalty FAQ: British royalty and nobility

and other alt.talk.royalty FAQ
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

In some countries a regent has to be a person in the line of succession, so a widowed spouse with young children might not be eligible, especially these days when princes are marrying commoners rather than princesses of other countries who might have blood ties to the monarchy into which they married. It depends on the country. I believe that at some point during Prince Charles's minority it was decided that Prince Philip rather than Princess Margaret would be regent, but I don't know if any laws had to be passed to accomplish that.

On the other hand, as a descendant of Queen Victoria through umpteen lines, Prince Philip is in the line of succession to the throne. In countries where the succession is limited to the descendants of the current monarch, things might be different. I also don't know whether the law (or whatever it was) that allowed Prince Philip to be Regent Designate would have meant that Diana (when she and Charles were still married) rather than Prince Andrew would have been regent if Prince William had become King during his minority.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Where exactly is Prince Philip in the line of succession for that matter?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Try maybe here:
The complete British succession

in 1941 #152, in 2001 #565 (?) as descendant of Sophia Kfstin v Hannover.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Here is an example for the Original Question:

Miss Anne Elliott marries HRH The Prince Christopher (a younger son of the King) who hold the title of HRH The Duke of Axminster.

On her marriage Miss Elliott becomes HRH The Princess Christopher but is known as HRH The Duchess of Axminster.

She has a child HRH Prince Alexander of Axminster. Her husband is killed (and her brother in law the King's elder son becomes The King) and her son becomes HRH The Duke of Axminster.

Now the child is the Duke and is not yet married thus She remains HRH The Duchess of Axminster.

When her son marries she will the officially become HRH The Dowager Duchess of Axminster. however she may choose to be know as HRH Princess Anne, Duchess of Axminster or HRH The Princess Christopher, Duchess of Axminster.

This example works however if Anne had married the eldest son of a King or Queen she would have become HRH The Princess of Wales (if this story is set in The UK) or HRH The Crown Princess Christopher (or Anne depending on local custom). When her husband was killed she would keep her title. When the Parents were then killed her son would ascend the throne and she would be HRH The Princess Christopher and possibly regent (dependent on constitutional arrangements). The state could find another suitable title such as HRH The Princess Mother or she could be made HM The Queen Mother as she would have been Queen had here husband survived to gain the title though this is far streaching.

This question has many possibilities and we could go on for ever thinking of what titles she could be given.

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Courtier

Or, get the title of HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales....Ok, far fetched idea, I know!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

One more Morganatic and Unequal Marriages in German Law
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD View Post
Or, get the title of HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales....Ok, far fetched idea, I know!
I think this did exist once though I can't remember the details.

God Save The Queen!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Serene Highness

just curious

Hello members. I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question and forgive me if its not. Im curious. Do distant cousins of the King of Spain have titles? For example, say the King has cousins through ancient times that are non reigning. Would these people have titles today even though they are not direct blood to the King? Would they be allowed to carry titles legally in the present time or would they have to be given the titles by the King himself once they are indeed recognized as relatives? I keep thinking that there must be commoners that must be related and deserve the right to carry some form of title in the present, or are they not even considered relatives? I hope that I made sense. Thanks for any response. Merry Christmas all!!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady anne View Post
Hello members. I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question and forgive me if its not. Im curious. Do distant cousins of the King of Spain have titles? For example, say the King has cousins through ancient times that are non reigning. Would these people have titles today even though they are not direct blood to the King? Would they be allowed to carry titles legally in the present time or would they have to be given the titles by the King himself once they are indeed recognized as relatives? I keep thinking that there must be commoners that must be related and deserve the right to carry some form of title in the present, or are they not even considered relatives? I hope that I made sense. Thanks for any response. Merry Christmas all!!
Maybe it help
Spanish Royal Family

spain
Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Thank you Magnik. That is great information. Let me give you an example though: Say I find out I am related to the house of Spain through my great grandfather who is related through a cousin of the King but my great grandfather doesnt have a title that we know of and we are trying to establish that now. Would we have the right to carry the title that belongs to my great grandfather or would we have to get permission and recognition from the King in order for it to be legal?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know what happens with titles and styles when twins or multiple births occur? What's the protocol if a Queen or a Crown Princess gives birth to twins? Who gets to be sovereign?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have heard that the second born will get sovereign! So was that in the middle ages. This was so because they thought that the second born was the first made in the belly (sorry I don't know the right word!).

Another question: When HRH Crown Prince Haakon of Norway become king, will HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit than be HM Queen Mette or HM Queen Mette-Marit?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

On the official site she is know as Crown Princess Mette-Marit, born Mette-Marit Tjessem Hűiby on 19 August 1973. So she will be HM Queen Mette-Marit. And Haakon will be HM King Haakon Magnus I think.
Documents relating to the Royal House of Norway

About twins:
I think that this one which will born first will be possible next king/queen. Of course depend of the successional law.